PDA

View Full Version : Broadcom 4311 device not working after upgrade

dempewolff
January 11th, 2013, 02:16 AM
Upgraded to 12.04 (from 10.xx I believe). Wireless driver not working properly. Checked the document which describes how to fix this on Natty. Tried the commands on 12.04. First I entered "sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernal-source broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source" (which seemed to go okay), I entered "sudo apt-get install b43 fwcutter firmware-b43-installer" on the terminal, I got files not found (b43 and fwcutter). I was using the wired connection to get info. So... are there different commands I should be running for 12.04? Any help would be appreciated.

audiomick
January 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
...I entered "sudo apt-get install b43 fwcutter ...I got files not found (b43 and fwcutter).

There is a hyphen missing there, at least the way you wrote it here. The package is called

b43-fwcutter

Without the hyphen, apt-get thinks that "b43" and "fwcutter" are two separate packages.

dempewolff
January 13th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Michael! that was it. I was too lazy to setup a wired connection so I fired up WinXP to get to the forum; I manually copied the command on paper (and incorrectly at that as you noticed) and then booted up Ubuntu.

Command executed without errors. I rebooted after disconnecting the wired connection. Still not working properly though. I'll check out open Linux forum link that you posted.

Thanks again, Peter

dempewolff
January 13th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Fixed. Rebooted a second time. The wireless connections showed up in drop down menu this time. Bingo

audiomick
January 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Great. Glad you got it fixed.