PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Why can't I install anything?

earache0
January 10th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi all, I'm new on here so 'Hello',

I've been trying for years now to use linux alongside windows, but I always have difficulty acquiring and then installing the packages for almost anything, so I haven't even got used to using it never mind replacing windows which was the original intent. As for how it works and what goes where I'm slowly getting there, I can definitely follow instructions and examples involving command line entry but when it doesn't work I don't have a clue.

I got Ubuntu installed fine, most stuff works and I found the software centre so I thought this would be the best bet. Stuff will not install with errors like 'untrusted software', 'can't find files'.

I followed a thread that suggested changing settings on the software centre to change the download server, it also suggested various commands to update before Ubuntu was ready to be useful.

Another suggestion was to update but it seems I'm already running 12.04LTS on a 64bit Athlon machine.

Can anyone please help me with where I'm going wrong?

ibjsb4
January 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Ok, lets see whats going on :)

Open a terminal (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal#Starting_a_Terminal) and enter:

sudo apt-get update

And please post the results using code tags.