PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging swap partition without live gparted disk...

orange2k
January 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I would like to make my swap partition larger so I can enable hibernate on my computer...

Currently its only about 1 GB in size, and I would like to make it about 4 GB...

Do I really need to make use of Gparted live cd or is it possible without it?

Cheesemill
January 10th, 2013, 10:28 AM
That depends on the partition layout of your drive.

Can you install gparted (apt://gparted) in your Ubuntu installation and then post a screenshot please.

orange2k
January 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Here is the screenshot - "nepoznato" is the swap partition...

Cheesemill
January 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM
You will need to boot from a Live CD to make any changes. This is because you need to resize your / partition (sda5) to make room for an enlarged swap. As partitions can only be resized when they're not mounted you will have to do this from outside your running Ubuntu installation.

Also I'm not sure what sda6 is, but it's currently not swap otherwise it would say so in the second column.

To check if you are using swap on your system you can use the command 'free -m'.

orange2k
January 10th, 2013, 11:13 AM
free -m says the following:

orange@orange-desktop:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2518 966 1552 0 49 456
-/+ buffers/cache: 460 2058
Swap: 893 0 893

Does Ubuntu 12.04 live CD come with gparted or do I have to burn the gparted live cd?

Cheesemill
January 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM
The Ubuntu Live CD has gparted installed on it.

Pjotr123
January 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Yes, you can use the Ubuntu 12.04 disk, because that contains Gparted as well. :)

However, be careful with hibernate and suspend:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/bugs#TOC-Hibernate-and-suspend-don-t-always-work-well:-they-make-some-computers-malfunction-or-even-enter-a-coma
(item 7, right column)

orange2k
January 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Yes, you can use the Ubuntu 12.04 disk, because that contains Gparted as well. :)

However, be careful with hibernate and suspend:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/bugs#TOC-Hibernate-and-suspend-don-t-always-work-well:-they-make-some-computers-malfunction-or-even-enter-a-coma
(item 7, right column)

Oh, I see, so its probably better to stay away from hibernate...
Suspend works fine on my computer, so I'll just use that when I'm not at the computer...

thank you both Cheesemill and Pjotr123!

I'll mark this as solved...