PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot stops at Ubuntu + five dots

cigtoxdoc
January 10th, 2013, 04:06 AM
What causes a boot to stop at Ubuntu 12.04 with the five dots? If I then do Ctrl-Alt-F1, it takes me to a login. I log in and then run sudo lightdm. Thet brings me to the correct graphical login for Ubuntu, Ubuntu-2d. After that login, system runs normally.

I got into this "mess" after I removed the Gnome desktop.

Is there a diagnostic tool that will point out the error in my ways?

John

oldfred
January 11th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Have you looked into log files?

Try Log File Viewer and look at dmesg. Then look for errors, repeated tries at loading a driver, or long times between entries.

dannyboy79
January 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
you could try to reconfigure lightdm with

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

also make sure that lightdm is within the file /etc/x11/default-display-manager

cigtoxdoc
January 12th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Thank you for your help. dmesg indicates "13.417424] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel." even after new nVidia driver installed (NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 173.14.36) using procedure specified by nVidia. Once I do the alternate boot procedure as indicated in my question, video situtation is excellent. I have also reconfigured lightdm.

John

dannyboy79
January 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Thank you for your help. dmesg indicates "13.417424] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel." even after new nVidia driver installed (NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 173.14.36) using procedure specified by nVidia. Once I do the alternate boot procedure as indicated in my question, video situtation is excellent. I have also reconfigured lightdm.

Johnso everything is fixed? please mark it solved using the thread tools in the upper right. thanks