PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Anything - Repository Problem?

jobattle
January 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my office computer (which was running ******* when I got it) and I can't seem to find any of the usual stuff in the software list on synaptic or the software manager. I finally installed a ouple of things from source but I can't find octabe or scilab and many of the things I find, like maxima, result in errors like "Failed to download repository information - Check Your Internet Connection". When I oen the details panel I ee: " W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/source/Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]". My internet connection is just fine, T3 at a major university (Caltech). What happened to Ubuntu, Octave used to be a package that existed as a binary in the repository? Please help me out here, I can't work without Octave.

plucky
January 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my office computer (which was running ******* when I got it) and I can't seem to find any of the usual stuff in the software list on synaptic or the software manager. I finally installed a ouple of things from source but I can't find octabe or scilab and many of the things I find, like maxima, result in errors like "Failed to download repository information - Check Your Internet Connection". When I oen the details panel I ee: " W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/maverick/main/source/Sources.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]". My internet connection is just fine, T3 at a major university (Caltech). What happened to Ubuntu, Octave used to be a package that existed as a binary in the repository? Please help me out here, I can't work without Octave.

10.10 Maverick reached End Of Life in April 2012,which is the reason the repositories have been closed.

12.04 is the current LTS release.

Good Luck

jobattle
January 9th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I can't seem to upgrade to 11.04 either and that is the only option I have. How do I upgrade past 11 to 12 directly? Do I have to re-install completely?

ibjsb4
January 10th, 2013, 12:16 AM
I can't seem to upgrade to 11.04 either and that is the only option I have. How do I upgrade past 11 to 12 directly? Do I have to re-install completely?

11.04 also reached its EOL last October. I think its time for a fresh install.