PDA

View Full Version : saved by the bell? :)

ventrical
January 9th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Just a small story. I was really tired last night and was building an old GiGabyte board, putting a new processor in there. (3GHz a no-no). Anyways .. I forgot to put the fan/sync on the processor, started up and then the mobo went off like a cell phone!! I was able to unplug the power just in time before I fried the processor.:)

I was doing the build for Raring of course so I thought I would put it here in U+1 lol!:)

mörgæs
January 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Is hardly of relevance to other testers. Moved to the cafe.

Paqman
January 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM
the mobo went off like a cell phone!!

Those are called beep codes. You should always be on the lookout for them when powering up a new system. The pattern of beeps tells you what the problem is, the instruction manual for the mobo can tell you exactly what the code is for what fault.

Bandit
January 10th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Just a small story. I was really tired last night and was building an old GiGabyte board, putting a new processor in there. (3GHz a no-no). Anyways .. I forgot to put the fan/sync on the processor, started up and then the mobo went off like a cell phone!! I was able to unplug the power just in time before I fried the processor.:)

I was doing the build for Raring of course so I thought I would put it here in U+1 lol!:)

How in the world can you forget to put your heatsink/fan on your CPU??? There is a common list of things one must check before power up a new system. Making sure the Fan/Heatsink unit is secured to the system board without any slack and it being properly plugged up is one of them.

Anyway, most newer boards will detect if the CPU fan is not spinning and shut the old girl down for you to prevent becoming a toaster.. Just FYI..

3rdalbum
January 10th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Some motherboards will detect when there's no fan (or it's not spinning) and stop the CPU from even turning on, as yours does. Even if not, the CPU won't get fried. Modern CPUs (from the last five years)have their own temperature monitor and will turn themselves off if they get too hot, or sometimes even just underclock themselves.

Paqman
January 10th, 2013, 01:18 PM
CPUs (from the last five years)have their own temperature monitor and will turn themselves off if they get too hot

I'm not sure I'd rely on this to protect the CPU in the extreme case of there being no heat sink at all. They may have specced the protection to be effective even without a heatsink, but I wouldn't bet a £150 chip on it.

Probably best to actually fit the heatsink, I reckon ;)

Bottom line: first time I switch on a new build, I hover my finger over the power button ready for an immediate shutdown if I hear the dreaded beep. Never fried anything yet...maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 10th, 2013, 11:54 PM
the board probably never put power to the cpu due to the lack of a cpu fan, a modern cpu will be killed in just a couple seconds with no heat sync

i have forgotten to plug the hdd/dvd in before, but the HSF is the 1st thing you should check and double check