PDA

View Full Version : radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips.

Gremlinzzz
January 9th, 2013, 02:25 PM
:popcorn: radio-frequency identification (RFID) chips.a useful tool,definitely,will they be abuse and misused most likely. but they are interesting,checkout some of the videos at bottom of link.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/rfid.htm
would you wear one if your job asked you to or worst case scenario have one implanted.

forrestcupp
January 9th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Lol. This sounds like an sdowney thread.

No, I would never have one implanted for any reason. But a lot of companies are using them in their badges, and it's not really a big deal. I would never want to have one tied to my bank accounts, though. I don't like those new credit cards with the smart chips.

tjeremiah
January 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM
they will for sure be abused but yeah, i dont want to be "tagged."

Paqman
January 9th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I carry a couple of RFIDs. My work requires everybody to clock in and out with one (key fob), I often carry the RFID card that London's public transport network uses ("Oyster"), and one of my debit cards is wave-and-pay. No biggy, it's all useful stuff.

There is potential for lols there too. I remember one of the nutters on b3ta disolved the chip out of his Oyster card and embedded it in a magic wand to wave himself through the barriers Harry Potter style.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM
It depends on what type of situation you're in. Sometimes it's in your best interest to know that help knows exactly where you are.

forrestcupp
January 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
There is potential for lols there too. I remember one of the nutters on b3ta disolved the chip out of his Oyster card and embedded it in a magic wand to wave himself through the barriers Harry Potter style.That's flippin' amazing. :D

It depends on what type of situation you're in. Sometimes it's in your best interest to know that help knows exactly where you are.That's exactly what they want us to believe. :)

rrich1974
January 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
what do you mean by "they"?
can you give me a name?
i can give you....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbigniew_Brzezinski
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bernanke

KiwiNZ
January 9th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Don't really have a worry, it would useful to have one with ICE information and medical details, they can talk when you cannot.

Bandit
January 9th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I carry a couple of RFIDs. My work requires everybody to clock in and out with one (key fob), I often carry the RFID card that London's public transport network uses ("Oyster"), and one of my debit cards is wave-and-pay. No biggy, it's all useful stuff.

There is potential for lols there too. I remember one of the nutters on b3ta disolved the chip out of his Oyster card and embedded it in a magic wand to wave himself through the barriers Harry Potter style.

Hey Careful on that RFID Debit card, reports are starting to show up here in the US of people getting their cards scanned while still in their pockets. This is mostly in big cities were people are getting crowed in public areas.

sdowney717
January 10th, 2013, 12:26 AM
They can inventory a whole box car full of goods using rfid without unpacking it. So then they could inventory the crowd of persons too.

Someday your car will have real time networking and likely be controllable by authority personnel. Work is being done on making cars autonomous vehicles. People could also be realtime networked so that you can only buy or sell things if your plugged into their grid. Money in the hand. no wallets needed.

I read somewhere the implantable rfid can cause tumors to grow, but I dont know for sure.
http://www.antichips.com/

maybe they can improve on it, so it takes longer to cause harm.

Paqman
January 10th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hey Careful on that RFID Debit card, reports are starting to show up here in the US of people getting their cards scanned while still in their pockets. This is mostly in big cities were people are getting crowed in public areas.

For real, or is that just an urban myth?

You'd have to get bloody close, I can only really see it working on a crowded bus or train. And if the transaction came from a source that wasn't a legit retailer I'm sure the bank would cover it. Is there no authentication between the POS machine and the bank?

jwbrase
January 10th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Don't really have a worry, it would useful to have one with ICE information and medical details, they can talk when you cannot.

They can also end up talking when you don't want to, which is part of why I'd never get one implanted.

jwbrase
January 10th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Someday your car will have real time networking and likely be controllable by authority personnel. Work is being done on making cars autonomous vehicles.

I'll never buy a car that doesn't have manual controls that override all automatic or networked controls, and I'd want publicly available sources for any code that touched the engine, transmission, brakes or steering and talked to the network.

People could also be realtime networked so that you can only buy or sell things if your plugged into their grid. Money in the hand. no wallets needed.

I'm frankly much more scared of this...

I read somewhere the implantable rfid can cause tumors to grow, but I dont know for sure.
http://www.antichips.com/

...than this.

Paqman
January 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I'll never buy a car that doesn't have manual controls that override all automatic or networked controls, and I'd want publicly available sources for any code that touched the engine, transmission, brakes or steering and talked to the network.

You already can't buy a car that doesn't have things like the throttle and steering under control of software.

More autonomy in cars is coming. Initially it'll be things like automatic emergency braking if you're looking like hitting a another car or passenger, or automatic lane following. Eventually they'll be forming high speed trains. There are also obvious advantages for disabled (eg: blind) drivers in increased autonomy.

What I'd really like to see is smart parking buildings where the car and building would work a bit like a valet service. Just drop your car off at the entrance and the building tells it where to go to park itself, then just have it meet you back at a pickup point when you're done. That would be awesome. Crawling around parking buildings trying to find a space is a ridiculous waste of time and fuel.

mJayk
January 10th, 2013, 09:45 AM
You already can't buy a car that doesn't have things like the throttle and steering under control of software.

More autonomy in cars is coming. Initially it'll be things like automatic emergency braking if you're looking like hitting a another car or passenger, or automatic lane following. Eventually they'll be forming high speed trains. There are also obvious advantages for disabled (eg: blind) drivers in increased autonomy.

What I'd really like to see is smart parking buildings where the car and building would work a bit like a valet service. Just drop your car off at the entrance and the building tells it where to go to park itself, then just have it meet you back at a pickup point when you're done. That would be awesome. Crawling around parking buildings trying to find a space is a ridiculous waste of time and fuel.

Well you can, I haven't yet seen a car that has no manual overide. But I agree it is coming and its scarey.

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2013, 09:56 AM
They can also end up talking when you don't want to, which is part of why I'd never get one implanted.

I have nothing to hide.

Paqman
January 10th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Well you can, I haven't yet seen a car that has no manual overide.

I meant that all the manual inputs you give a vehicle already go through a layer of electronics and software between you and the actual engine and wheels. I drive a hybrid, and the computer does all the actual control of which power source it uses and how fast to rev the engine in response to the command it gets from my accelerator pedal.

My point being: the software is already in use, and highly reliable. Like much industrial control stuff automotive software and electronics is very, very conservatively designed.

mips
January 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM

From what I recall those Oyster cards are not very secure, think you can load your credit on them. Maybe they have changed the system since then.

Paqman
January 10th, 2013, 12:52 PM
From what I recall those Oyster cards are not very secure, think you can load your credit on them. Maybe they have changed the system since then.

Yep, I believe they were cracked pretty soon after they came out. According to Wikipedia the vulnerability was in the old Mifare Classic chips (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card#Technology) they used, cards issued in the last few years apparently have better security.

3rdalbum
January 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM

This is a self-solving problem. Once you carry two RFID-enabled cards in your wallet, it becomes a lot more difficult for an attacker to read one of them from a distance. When you carry three, it's virtually impossible to cleanly read one single card.

It's "self-solving" because as the cards become ubiquitous, people start having to carry three or more and therefore their security increases; Credit card, debit card, public transport card, health insurance card...

forrestcupp
January 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I have nothing to hide.

Then PM me your full name, address, bank account numbers, birthday, mother's maiden name, and whatever version of social security number you have in NZ. ;)

Also, are you a nudist? :)

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Then PM me your full name, address, bank account numbers, birthday, mother's maiden name, and whatever version of social security number you have in NZ. ;)

Also, are you a nudist? :)

Hahaha a nudist, a broken man in a wheelchair a nudist, I would look like a human ying yang symbol.