PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Makes Opera 9 available

kaamos
July 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
http://opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/07/06/02/

Opera press releases
Ubuntu Makes Opera 9 available for easy download and installation

After the launch of Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, Canonical is pleased to announce the availability of Opera 9 for Ubuntu. With just a few clicks of the mouse, all Ubuntu users can download and install the latest version of the Opera browser, which was released to critical acclaim on June 20.

With its innovative technology and ease of use, Opera is a perfect match for Ubuntu. The two organizations have similar beliefs and values that are woven into their products.

"Opera 9 provides the most advanced browsing experience on Linux today," said Håkon Wium Lie, CTO, Opera Software and long-time Ubuntu user. "We've had a Linux browser for a long time, but Opera 9 includes new optimizations specifically for the platform. I think Ubuntu users will like how easy it is to install Opera. It gives me yet another reason to love Ubuntu."

"As a part of our programme to deliver a choice of the very best applications available, we have worked closely with the Opera team, and are able to make the very latest version immediately," said Malcolm Yates, Partner and ISV Manager at Canonical Ltd. "With a few easy clicks from the Ubuntu desktop, all Ubuntu 6.06 LTS users can install Opera 9."

By using the Ubuntu Add / Remove Programs feature, users can choose to install a wide variety of applications. This announcement continues the drive to ensure Ubuntu gives real choice and real flexibility as well as an easy to use interface that everyone can use.

Ubuntu users can learn more about what the Opera browser can do at http://www.opera.com/features.

Ok... opinions? I think this is the wrong direction for ubuntu to be heading to. First vmware player and now opera. What happened to the Ubuntu Philosophy?

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

zerwas
July 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
think this is the wrong direction for ubuntu to be heading to.
I think it is the right way. Opera is an important software.
And, you could install Opera before with some more clicks too ;-). All that Ubuntu did, is make life easier for the user.

I don't think this has something to do with free software and the open source conception.

Greetings,
zerwas

FredB
July 6th, 2006, 07:16 PM
What about the freedom of choice ?

Opera is a great browser, even if I don't use it. And ubuntu coders don't do this port, it is Opera Sofware one.

So, don't be paranoïd, and drink a cup of coffee. ;)

kaamos
July 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Opera is a great browser, even if I don't use it. And ubuntu coders don't do this port, it is Opera Sofware one.

I actually got the impression that this would not be the case:

Canonical is pleased to announce the availability of Opera 9 for Ubuntu.
So this is not just operas move. I think opera a great piece of software, but the idea is what counts. In my opinion ubuntu should encourage the use of Free software and this is not part of it. The user has the freedom of choice to install a deb from opera.com, but ubuntu as a linux distribution or Canonical as the company behind it should not support proprietary software like this.

So, don't be paranoïd, and drink a cup of coffee. ;)

I'm cool. This is just my 2c. :)

RMS already made his point clear at Guaedec. This was about the nvidia binary drivers.. I don't agree with him on this though.
http://thomas.apestaart.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14500&g2_serialNumber=2 :P

RAV TUX
July 6th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Ok... opinions? I think this is the wrong direction for ubuntu to be heading to. First vmware player and now opera. What happened to the Ubuntu Philosophy?

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.
I think this is awesome, there are two primary browsers I use on Ubuntu:

1. Mozilla Firefox
2. Opera 9

There are other great Browsers out there like Galeon and Epiphany to name a few, but I think these two: Firefox and Opera, are by far coming out as the innovators and leaders in a solid and loyal user base.

I think this will only help Ubuntu in providing ease of use for Ubuntu users primary way to connect to the WWW

I think it would be great if both Firefox and Opera came as default web browsers with Ubuntu.

I do remember when Epiphany was the default browser with Ubuntu.

Making it easier overall to add Opera is a positive step it the write direction.

leaving the philosophical arguments aside, I support this move.

golfbuf
July 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM
The OP references a comment on opera.com .. where is the post on ubuntu.com?

Also, I still don't see it in the ubuntu repos .. are you sure ubuntu is really going to include it, or will it still be just a wiki page howto? Either way, I'll still try it and use it if it's competitive.

Opera seems to be changing now that they have made some money on their phone browser. This version 9 is the only one I have ever found competitive in usability with firefox. It's now my 2nd browser. And, it doesn't seem to have the freeze up problem of firefox with certain javascript.

regards,

tseliot
July 6th, 2006, 09:48 PM

This only means that we don't have to use the package for Debian Etch any more.

BWF89
July 6th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I think making proprietary software downloadable from apt-get is the right way to go. People want to use that software and the people that don't well they don't have to install it.

NeoChaosX
July 6th, 2006, 10:02 PM
You might have a point, if Opera was being included with default install and being put in main or universe (which is meant for Free-as-in-libre software). But they're just putting the latest Opera in multiverse (for unsupported non-Free software) rather than rely on the old Debian packages, so I really don't see how this is a problem or is contrary to Ubuntu's principles.

Lord Illidan
July 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Good move for Ubuntu. As for the philosophy, it is not the default out of the box, the user has to install it, just as with the mp3 and nvidia drivers, and so on, so I don't see why a fuss has to be made. I still use firefox, but opera is a good browser too, and you never know, they might open source it in future!

EDIT : WHERE IS OPERA?? I can't find it Add/Remove...

BWF89
July 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
The same people that complain about non free software being included in the multiverse (and want to create Gnubuntu) are probably the same people that claim that it's McDonald's fault their fat.

EDIT: Mabye not the greatest comparison.

Lord Illidan
July 6th, 2006, 10:55 PM
The same people that complain about non free software being included in the multiverse (and want to create Gnubuntu) are probably the same people that claim that it's McDonald's fault their fat.

EDIT: Mabye not the greatest comparison.

No it's not a good comparison at all. I understand what these people want, and I sympathise with them, it's just that some of them have a wrong attitude about it. Instead of not using the offending app at all or spouting rubbish about it, they should use it, understand it, and write an app themselves which can better it.

WiLLiE
July 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, where is opera? I have multiverse and universe and opera is not found? :confused:

zenwhen
July 7th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Same issue here. I do not see opera in the repos.

fuscia
July 7th, 2006, 03:22 AM
yuk! i'm dumping it.

WildTangent
July 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Yup...can't find it either :S

-Wild

interse
July 7th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Go to Opera.com and the Ubuntu 6.06 deb is there for downloading and easy install.

WiLLiE
July 7th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Thats not he point.
The point is it was said that opera 9 was released in the repos today. (Where it isn't)

Edit:
Wow, it finally landed.
Some 10+ hours after the joint statement :???:

detyabozhye
July 7th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Well, IMO, if it's in multiverse, that's all right. If it was in main or something, I'd be worried. As much as I like Opera, nvidia drivers, mp3 codecs, etc. I would much rather have free software equivalents. When proprietary apps like this get into main or are preinstalled, it often makes free software equivalent's developement slow down. Flash player is a good example of that, most FOSS flash players almost died when Macromedia released Flash Player 7 for Linux. Now they are starting up again because Windows already has 9, and we are still stuck with 7. In the long run, it often hurts GNU/Linux. I often get kinda mad at RMS when he starts this stuff sbout us using proprietary software on our GNU/Linux systems, but looking back, if he wouldn't be the way he was, right now we wouldn't have even half of all the great free software that we do.

That said, Opera is the best browser I've ever used. :D

FredB
July 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I installed and tested Opera 9 with the .deb package available on opera's site. And nobody force anyone to install Opera or not to install it !

And to all extremists : if you don't like that, give us some peace and install a gentoo !

detyabozhye
July 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I'm not an extremist and I really like Opera, it's my main browser. But I believe that RMS's extremist attitude really helped GNU/Linux get this far and that's a good thing. In other words, I'm glad extremists exist, they help free software move along.

SlugO
July 7th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Where is it in the repos? I can only see the "empty spot" left by the opera package that I had installed from .deb and replaced with a static version cos of font problems. But can't find an actual version that's in the repositories.

andlinux21
July 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I tried this at my sisters house Opera 9 looks and runs pretty sweet. I hope the linux version is just as good:cool:

Bad Seed
July 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I'm using Xubuntu 6.06 and Opera doesn't appear in my repos either :confused: (and yes, I have enabled universe and multiverse).

kadymae
July 7th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Beware if you have a previous Opera Install or are using 6.06 for PPC.

After happily using Opera 9 beta for PPC for quite some time, I downloaded and installed (via the CLI) the final version.

Bork city. I now have 2 Opera icons in my menu, neither of which works.

And what's worse is I can't get the add/remove programs to understand that I have Opera installed and am going to have to remove it all By. Hand.

bruce89
July 8th, 2006, 12:04 AM
It is not in Multiverse or Universe, it is on a seperate archive -
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main is the deb line. There is no deb-src though!

darkhatter
July 8th, 2006, 02:26 AM
people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.[/I]

I choose to install opera, not letting me install it goes against it

Bad Seed
July 8th, 2006, 03:50 AM
It is not in Multiverse or Universe, it is on a seperate archive -
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main is the deb line. There is no deb-src though!
Thank you bruce. I didn't know about that repository.

tsb
July 8th, 2006, 05:08 AM
excellent move in the right direction

embracing closed source/proprietary software is the only way to improve Linux

jsgotangco
July 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
The proper way to get this using Add/Remove Applications is to ensure dapper-updates is enabled, update your repository (app-install-data is updated for this work), and Opera should be available in it. When you install it, you will be given a notice that this is commercial software.

You can also install Real Player 10 this way too.

dare2dreamer
July 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
excellent move in the right direction

embracing closed source/proprietary software is the only way to improve Linux

So what you are telling me is that embracing proprietary non-free software is the best way to improve free (libre) software?

I'm no zealot, but I think that arguement is a little broken.

detyabozhye
July 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
ditto