PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Links Pages

jfdill_2
March 20th, 2005, 05:58 AM
They show up on search engines--these stupid bogus web sites where they buy some likely domain name (or take it hostage more like) and then put lots of links to some particular subject, so when you do a web search, you end up going to this web page and seeing their ads. The pages appear to be automatically generated from content from search engines and do not add any value or additional information, like geniune commentary on the quality of what they are linking to. I'm running into more and more of these web sites and it is becoming a real nuissance. Sometimes, when you do a search, the top 10 or so hits could be one of these bogus links pages. It's a nuissance in the sense that instead of getting direct links to the sites that I want, I get links that are one step removed from what I really want, plus a page of ads I didn't want to see.

Maybe I've been living under a rock, but is there a name for what these people are doing in the likes of "spamming" or "phishing?" Are there any search engines that do a good job of avoiding these bogus pages?

jfdill_2
March 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Have you ever heard of google? :roll: .
Clearly, you have no clue what I am talking about. I am talking about people trying to artificially bump their search engine rating by aggregating lots of links to a particular subject. The site itself is purely the results of a search query to a search engine plus ads. For example, you write a script that submits the search "martial arts" to google, assembles the results into a so-called "web site" and puts ads on all of the pages. This is not the worst example, but here goes martialarts-11.com (http://www.martialarts-11.com/) Maybe it seems harmless or even useful at first glance, but the more of this type of site that is out there, the less efficient it becomes to get to the real pages that you want to get to, it is like having multiple layers of symbolic links, sometimes these sites even link to each other. Google seems to handle these types of pages a little bit better.

bigzak
March 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Maybe I've been living under a rock, but is there a name for what these people are doing in the likes of "spamming" or "phishing?" Are there any search engines that do a good job of avoiding these bogus pages?

There is a roaring trade in link pyramid schemes. A friend of mine nearly got suckered by one. They reckon that you can make a fortune by getting paid to LINK to things. You don't have to add content, you don't have to provide a service, you just have to add a link and someone will pay you.

Unfortunately, this kind of system appears to have created its own microeconomy, where people really do trade links for cash. However, they are completely insulated and the only part that protrudes into our dimension is those awful links pages.

jfdill_2
May 11th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Here is a prime example (http://www.inkjet-advisor.info/jetad/lexmark-x83-drivers.html) of the type of garbage that I am talking about. inkjet underscore advisor dot info purports to be a site with useful info about inkjet printers, but if you read what's on the page, all they're doing is aggregating search results, and filling up pages with garbage to get search engines to give high ranks to their pages, but it's just junk and utter nonsense like, "as the lexmark x83 drivers Internet grows it becomes harder and harder to accurately source the right material." Ugh! :mad: