PDA

View Full Version : Donating to Ubuntu/Canonical

vkazanov
January 8th, 2013, 06:01 AM
As a both desktop/server Ubuntu user I would really like donate a reasonable amount of money to the team. Thus, I was pleased to see the "Donate" form upon downloading the latest release, and liked the idea of choosing the investment, em, "target". Next minute, I was disappointed to see only Paypal payment service available. I neither do have a Paypal account, nor I plan to create one, as it's not popular at all in my part of the world. Are any other ways of donation going to be available? If yes, when?

PS This is a question to Canonical employees, of course, but might be of interest to all the other people using Ubuntu for daily work.

deadflowr
January 8th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Canonical, though they own and maintain the forums, don't read them, as they have a dedicated and hardworking staff of volunteers to do it for them.

try something like this:

http://www.ubuntu.com/contact-us

or look at this site for something:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

cariboo
January 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Moved to the Cafe, as this isn't a support thread.

sanderj
January 8th, 2013, 07:46 AM
To avoid Paypa, I made a bank transfer to Canonical's IBAN code. Would IBAN work for you? Within the Euro-zone there is no cost involved.

(PS: No BIC needed)

oldos2er
January 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM
As a both desktop/server Ubuntu user I would really like donate a reasonable amount of money to the team.

I'm sure Canonical wouldn't mind if you snail-mailed them a check (or cheque, if you prefer). Their address can be found via the contact-us link.

philinux
January 8th, 2013, 07:08 PM
As a both desktop/server Ubuntu user I would really like donate a reasonable amount of money to the team. Thus, I was pleased to see the "Donate" form upon downloading the latest release, and liked the idea of choosing the investment, em, "target". Next minute, I was disappointed to see only Paypal payment service available. I neither do have a Paypal account, nor I plan to create one, as it's not popular at all in my part of the world. Are any other ways of donation going to be available? If yes, when?

PS This is a question to Canonical employees, of course, but might be of interest to all the other people using Ubuntu for daily work.

IIRC there's an option to donate via paypal using a credit/debit card. You dont need a paypal account.

ssam
January 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM
if you dont find a way to donate directly to ubuntu/canonical you could maybe donate to one of the many other organisations involved in making the software that makes up ubuntu.for example GNU/FSF, GNOME, KDE, Debian, Mozilla, Libreoffice, GIMP etc. most of them have a donation page, and most have a range of payment options.

tgalati4
January 8th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Find out where the next linx conference is being held near your location and if Ubuntu is going, offer to sponsor something at the conference. Nothing like "free" beer at a conference to generate interest.

kaldor
January 8th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Kind of off-topic, but what's the point in donating money to a corporate entity? You don't donate money to Microsoft or McDonald's, do you? Not all of their products/services are free (in both senses of the word).

I could understand if Canonical were a tiny team of independent developers or a non-profit organisation, but they are not.

rrich1974
January 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM
right, but let's face it: canonical gives you ubuntu for free, you can make your own distribution collecting some free packs from here and there, but just a few people are able to do this.
in essence, canonical gives you an useful OS almost out of the box.

castrojo
January 9th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I could understand if Canonical were a tiny team of independent developers or a non-profit organisation, but they are not.

Let's look at this in perspective with what Ubuntu is trying to achieve.

Microsoft - 94,000 employees
Apple - 72,000 employees
Canonical - 600 employees (not all who work on Ubuntu) + 781 Ubuntu members (some people are both)

Still a pretty small organization, even if you were to add in Debian.