PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install 12.04LTS

brent1975
January 7th, 2013, 11:01 PM
I have been using ubuntu server edition for some time now and works really well for what I need it to do in the home. The other night I thought about it and decided to try and switch over my windows desktop to Ubuntu 12.04 and see how well I like the desktop version. I don't play many games on my rig anymore so thought I would take advantage of a speedier system and a little more freedom to do what I would like to my system. Well all was well I downloaded the 64bit vs and burned it to a cd rebooted my system and up came ubuntu start screen. The issue is when I get to the part where I have to choose a drive. It shows I dont have a drive at all. Something is weird about this. I went into windows and rand a check c: /f to make sure it was okay. I checked the bios for what ever reason to verify it was there... "clearly it was there I was able to boot into windows right? " So I have done a little digging on good ol google and appears that alot of folks are having the same issue.... my bios is up to date. I have switched my bios setting for the drive to AHCI or what ever it is and still the same effect. I have tried different versions of ubuntu and still the same result. and before anyone asks... I do not have a usb thumb drive. I have never had a need for 1 and I don't plan on buying one. I have never had these problems installing the server version of ubuntu so I am am confused as to the problem.

Currently I am running windows 7 64 Home Premium and starts and works fine.

Any advice as to what I can try would be great.

Note:

I also ran sudo sfdisk -lus
Disk /dev/sda: 121601 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 204800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 206848 1953122303 1952915456 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 Empty
It appears ubuntu does see the two NTFS partitions.

brent1975
January 8th, 2013, 01:30 AM
I have been using ubuntu server edition for some time now and works really well for what I need it to do in the home. The other night I thought about it and decided to try and switch over my windows desktop to Ubuntu 12.04 and see how well I like the desktop version. I don't play many games on my rig anymore so thought I would take advantage of a speedier system and a little more freedom to do what I would like to my system. Well all was well I downloaded the 64bit vs and burned it to a cd rebooted my system and up came ubuntu start screen. The issue is when I get to the part where I have to choose a drive. It shows I dont have a drive at all. Something is weird about this. I went into windows and rand a check c: /f to make sure it was okay. I checked the bios for what ever reason to verify it was there... "clearly it was there I was able to boot into windows right? " So I have done a little digging on good ol google and appears that alot of folks are having the same issue.... my bios is up to date. I have switched my bios setting for the drive to AHCI or what ever it is and still the same effect. I have tried different versions of ubuntu and still the same result. and before anyone asks... I do not have a usb thumb drive. I have never had a need for 1 and I don't plan on buying one. I have never had these problems installing the server version of ubuntu so I am am confused as to the problem.

Currently I am running windows 7 64 Home Premium and starts and works fine.

Any advice as to what I can try would be great.

Note:

I also ran sudo sfdisk -lus
Disk /dev/sda: 121601 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #sectors Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 204800 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 206848 1953122303 1952915456 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 Empty
It appears ubuntu does see the two NTFS partitions.

After doing some more reading on this i came across the fix.

sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda

sudo apt-get remove dmraid