PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help for first time installation

butt3rs84
January 7th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Linux so sorry for any amateur questions. I have a hp mini 210-1170 nr that I am trying to run Ubuntu 12.10.4 LTS on. I initially used pendrive linux to make a bootable usb, but that didn't work. I then tried getting a usb cd-rom and running the iso from a cd, but that didn't work either. Then I tried unebootin and again attempted to make a bootable usb. Each time I get a boot screen after installation asking for login and saying ubuntu 12.04.1 lys unknown tty1. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Butt3r84

snowpine
January 7th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Did you check the md5sum of your downloaded Ubuntu .iso image? If there was any kind of download error and the file is corrupt, then you can burn a thousand USB/CD/DVD and they will all fail. :) Here are easy instructions to check the md5sum:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

That's Step 1. Then Step 2 is to run "Try Ubuntu" in "Live" mode (not install). Play around with it like that for a few days. This will give you a pretty good idea of whether you like Ubuntu and whether it runs well on your hardware. Make sure to test all of the hardware features (wireless, graphics, webcam, suspend, etc.) as well as any software applications you need.

Then finally Step 3 is to install. Too many people jump directly to Step 3 in my opinion. :)

Two final thoughts: 1) There is a Search box at the top right of this page; you can find existing threads on your specific model netbook; 2) These netbooks usually have pretty low hardware specs (I am not familiar with your specific model) so you might try Lubuntu or Xubuntu instead.

Good luck!

butt3rs84
January 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Sorry meant 12.04.1 as opposed to 12.10.4