PDA

View Full Version : Quickly & Python : Where best to begin?

DanielWray
January 7th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Ubuntu development work. I'm hoping to use Quickly, and Python.

I have had previous experience at university with some ActionScript; simple game development, but enough to know some of the basics of coding (Functions, IF statements, Classes, &c.)

Anyway I am wondering if there is any specific wiki, or web-site of tutorials out there for this combination (An overview of API's, or how to use external libraries (like WebKit.) I have viewed an excellent tutorial on the Ubuntu Developers website, but apart from that I can't find anything specific to Quickly + Python.

I would like to start developing small applications to tie a visual effects pipeline together, but currently I am a little confused by all of the available languages, tools, and information that is being presented to me when searching for where to start.

For example do I just need to study standard Python (Which I am doing over at Code Academy,) or does Quickly (Glade?) come with some kind of API for integrating code with the UI elements?

Any kind of specific information in regards to the best place to build a solid foundation for this stuff would be most welcome, thank-you.

trent.josephsen
January 7th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I have had previous experience at university with some ActionScript; simple game development, but enough to know some of the basics of coding (Functions, IF statements, Classes, &c.)

Any time I hear something like "I have some programming experience" followed by a brief list of apparently random programming-related terms, I am forced to conclude that the speaker in fact knows next to nothing about programming, if anything at all. For instance. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NuPolrd9yuo#t=95s)

I'd advise you and most people in your situation to focus on learning Python for now. Learn to write programs that do useful things, but don't focus much on giving them friendly interfaces and distributing them. Your first efforts won't be worth keeping anyway. Shakespeare's first words weren't "Alas, poor Yorick".

I would like to start developing small applications to tie a visual effects pipeline together

Great! Work on that bit. Don't get too caught up in Quickly until you know how to solve the central problem. Depending on the exact nature of what you want to do, maybe you can find some other programs that do part of what you want, and use Python to tie them together; or maybe there are some Python libraries that you can use. It's good to have clearly defined goals, but it will take some time to achieve them.

conradin
January 8th, 2013, 01:25 AM
http://www.python.org/
best place for python suport.

DanielWray
January 9th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Thank-you for the honest feedback.

I have took aboard what you've said, and I have started to focus on Python and writing small, but useful .py files.

I must admit that fiddling around with a console is definitely giving good results, so I'll just keep plugging away until I get a solid foundation with the language, and programming in general (my 'How to think like a programmer' book is also having it's cover dusted down heh...)

Thank's for the link to the Python website, I had viewed it a few times but with further inspection it seems to give me all I need for the time being.

Slightly off-topic;
Is it OK to create a thread in this forum area that is akin to a sketch book. I.e. full of small scripts that I am developing?