PDA

View Full Version : How old is your main home PC in 2013

Penguinnerd
January 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Last year, I started a poll to see the age distribution of "primary" PC's on this forum.

These are the rules:
1)Use your primary PC for home use, be it a laptop, desktop, Linux, BSD, mac or otherwise.
2) If you tend to upgrade and replace components on your pc, just use the age of the motherboard.
3) If you don't have a home PC, just use the one you're voting from or the one you use the most frequently.

The "old" (2012) poll can be seen here: (please refrain from voting in it, you can see it for yourself once the old poll has been closed by a mod)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909153
BTW, could a mod please close the old poll, so people can see the old results without voting?

I thought it would be interesting to see any variation this year. In the old poll, there was a noticible dip at the 2-year level and I'm interested to see, for example, if that has moved to the 3-year level.

The results showed a quick dropoff after 5 or 6 years but for some reason, there were a lot of votes for "8 years or older".

I'm also interested to see if the average age has changed by much. In the old poll, it comes to about 4.3 years, assuming an average age of 10 years for the votes for "older than 8".

KosakiHook
January 7th, 2013, 04:58 AM
My main computer is a HP P6000 series Pavilion desktop. I bought it used a few months ago. I think that this computer came out in 2009.

Its specs: Athlon X 2 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HD, nVidia GeForce 9100 graphics chip, Win Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit.

So far, it does everything I need it to do flawlessly.

I thought about upgrading the chip to a Phenom X 4 (quad core) and maybe a SSD and perhaps a USB 3.0 card. Maybe in time. I'm not a power user, so the present specs work for me well (99% web surfing).

I have a Win 7 upgrade disc, but haven't loaded it on yet b/c Vista is working well. I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu or one of its derivatives to dual boot.

Jakin
January 7th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Primary as in being used the most, I guess that would be my lappy, Toshiba Satellite L875, loaded with Kubuntu 12.04.1 amd64, its less than a year old.

lisati
January 7th, 2013, 05:38 AM
My day-to-day laptop is about 4 years old, my "good" one (used mainly for video editing, but also if I go somewhere) I've had about 18 months. Other hardware, in various states of repair and functionality, ranges from 20-something down to about 8 years old.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 7th, 2013, 05:44 AM
not sure how old mine is, it was not complete when i first started using it
i ordered my 1st parts on 4/6/11 (M/D/Y) wich was just enough to get a bootable system combined with parts i already had from much older systems including a PSU from 2004 and some 20gb hdds that were idk how old (one died in a couple hrs) an old case i had that was free
only parts i got were ram (a 4gb stick),cpu (phenom ii x4),mobo (asus m4a79xtd evo), and a basic gpu (gt 430)
the last part i got for it was on 11/02/12 which was a better (non-flaky) NIC
and i replaced the 2004 psu on 7/26/12

Penguinnerd
January 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM
not sure how old mine is, it was not complete when i first started using it

I said:

2) If you tend to upgrade and replace components on your pc, just use the age of the motherboard.

kenweill
January 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM
I have 3 desktop PCs.

The first one I bought, and also the oldest, was the Pentium 4 desktop.

I tried Ubuntu 12.10 32bit LiveDVD on that one, I've reached the desktop but it's very sluggish. Must be video issues, or I don't know.

Ubuntu 8.04 was the last version of Ubuntu that I have tried installing on that one and it works. Tested 12.10, and very sluggish.

lykwydchykyn
January 7th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Don't have a "main home PC", really; we have lots of computers at our house seeing regular use, but I put 6 years 'cause that's about the average age of the most-used ones. It's kind of a guess too because they're mostly second hand or refurbs.

Bandit
January 7th, 2013, 07:37 AM
All my PCs are new this year. They are actually less then 6 months old.

My Win7 PC Gaming Rig was built it in September.
Then I got my wife a Macbook Air for her main system in November.
Then I got myself a new Mac Mini on the first of December.
We also got purchased a iPad Mini for my wife on the go and I got a iPod Touch 5th Gen for Christmas.
Think the oldest system we got is my 7yo daughters Samsung Galaxy TAB she got for her birthday in August.

scouser73
January 7th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Two year old HP G5326uk Desktop PC.

exploder
January 7th, 2013, 01:49 PM
My main PC is an HP desktop I bought 3 years ago. The HP has a quad core AMD processor running at 2.6 GHz, 8 GB DDR 2 RAM and a 2 TB hard drive.

I also have an HP DV6 laptop that's a year old but I do not use it as much as my desktop. My desktop has a 25" wide screen HP monitor and I prefer it to the 15.4" screen of the laptop.

Both systems are running Linux Mint 14 KDE x64 just fine.

Rocklobster690
January 7th, 2013, 02:06 PM
MBA (2012) running OS X.

BUT...

I spend most of my time in three virtual machine: Precise Pangolin, Quantal Quetzal & Raring Ringtail (testing)

Penguinnerd
January 7th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I totally forgot to mention my system when I put up the poll!

Mine just turned 5 years old, hoping for a couple more years so I don't need to replace it until I graduate from college and have (hopefully) a job! It recently got a new SSD for its fifth birthday. :p

Inspiron 1420 with 1.67 ghz core 2 duo, 1 gb ram, 30 gb SSD, running Debian 7.0 testing.
Still nice and quick with XFCE and the new SSD has Debian boot time down to 15 seconds including the bios thingy.

It's somewhat held together with superglue, but performace-wise it's still just fine.

HansKisaragi
January 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I built my main PC in 2010.. The specs are in my sig. only changes are I use a GTX 560 Graphics card now for best linux experience.

Running 64bit Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome 3.. as of the new years windows have been wiped away for good.

Hylas de Niall
January 7th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Main machine is 2009 Acer Aspire ax3812 low-power mini-desktop.
Dual booting Win7 for games and music, and Debian Wheezy Xfce (which is what i use most of the time) for everything else.

Linuxratty
January 7th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Four gig Aspire Revo with Ubuntu...They no longer make them this nice,so it was a one shot thing and a gift.

Elfy
January 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM

The "old" (2012) poll can be seen here: (please refrain from voting in it, you can see it for yourself once the old poll has been closed by a mod)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909153
BTW, could a mod please close the old poll, so people can see the old results without voting?...

Closed it completely.

Penguinnerd
January 7th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Closed it completely.

Fantastic, thank you.

montag dp
January 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I just bought a new laptop - Lenovo Thinkpad T430. My old computer was a 6.5 year old Dell Inspiron.

I'm currently dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint 14 on it.

datasin
January 7th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I'm working with a Sun Ultra 20, so mine is pretty darn old.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 8th, 2013, 02:12 AM
My old laptop from last year's poll had RAM and HDD upgrades I had done over the years. I also had to replace the keyboard. I found you really can do some upgrades and repairs yourself on a laptop that has been out of warranty for years. My other computers were desktops and servers.

Finally, a chip failed on the laptop's motherboard; therefore, I had an excuse to get a new one. I had been hoping for an excuse to get a new laptop with a quad-core, 8GB RAM, bigger display, and more HDD storage. :)

The new laptop is not very portable; however, I have other devices; such as, a mini-notebook and phone for my mobile needs.

:lolflag:

bfmetcalf
January 8th, 2013, 02:22 AM
My desktop is 10 months old now. Built it last March after my 5 year old laptop bugged out with a bad battery, crap cpu after too much heat in it. New rig has a i7 processor and 500GB HDD with W7 for the wife and the old 25GB HDD from the laptop with Arch thrown on it for me with an AMD HD 6850 GPU.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 8th, 2013, 02:26 AM
While we have a family computer, and many other ones, the one I use the most is the one I am typing this on, which I estimate was gotten around 8 years ago.

llanitedave
January 8th, 2013, 02:36 AM
My case is about 8 years old, the other componants I tend to replace every couple of years. Right now my motherboard is about two years old, carrying an AMD Phenom II 4-processor chip. I figure I'll give it another 6 months or so.

My wife's desktop has identical specs, but a different and newer case. We both have laptops that dual boot with Windows -- Windows 7 for me and Vista for her. I'd do completely without M$, but I need it for work, unfortunately.

Penguinnerd
January 8th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Finally, a chip failed on the laptop's motherboard; therefore, I had an excuse to get a new one.

Looking at last year's poll, you had an inspiron 1420, like what I still have.
Sorry to hear of your loss, but congrats on the new one.

I've heard the nvidia video chip frequently fails on this model. Was that it?
Luckily, I have the cheaper integrated intel video on mine, which seems to have a lower rate of failure (Fingers crossed.).

zer010
January 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM
1999, yep, pre-Y2k. Well, the mobo and CPU set is anyways. Not really sure about the rest...

doorknob60
January 8th, 2013, 08:05 AM
You know you're a nerd when the answer to this question is "uhh...well...that depends." My motherboard is maybe about 2 years old, not sure exactly. See my signature for my specs. I also have a laptop that's 4 months old, but it has lower specs than my desktop (it was only $399), but works great for internet browsing, video watching, school work, etc.

Gremlinzzz
January 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM
:popcorn:Mine is newer,what i cant understand is there,s more than 500 views and only 62 votes.i find that (strange) its like that with every thread.

BrokenKingpin
January 8th, 2013, 01:53 PM
hmmm... I think it is 4 years, but I have upgraded it over time. It has a Q6700 quad core, so not that high end anymore.

I did upgrade the following:
- put it up to 8 gigs of ram
- Nvidia card (mid range)
- SSD

Xubuntu runs extremely fast on it, so I don't see the need to upgrade it. Although I have been gaming more, so a new i7 PC would be nice lol.

Metalpen1984
January 8th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Mine is ASUS S5200A, producted before 2006.
After 2010, I change the os to Ubuntu 10.04 due to that the fat-laggy Windows XP SP3 can't work fine. Everything on that old-laptop is fine, I even used it for writing my proposal and resume for the science job. I have to say, Ubuntu 10.04 works super fine for my laptop, and I can't tolerate about the stop of support in 2013... where should I go?

BrokenKingpin
January 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I can't tolerate about the stop of support in 2013... where should I go?
To the latest Ubuntu release (or Xubuntu might be better suited for older hardware).

GreenTaurus
January 8th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 (Overclocked to 3.15ghz on air)
Asus P5Q-EM purchased 2008
8GB PC2-6400
Seagate 640GB SATA2
ATI Radeon HD 5570 (Overclocked via 12.10 CCC)

Still a worthy system for what I do, but I built it initially as a HTPC.

Gremlinzzz
January 8th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Mine is ASUS S5200A, producted before 2006.
After 2010, I change the os to Ubuntu 10.04 due to that the fat-laggy Windows XP SP3 can't work fine. Everything on that old-laptop is fine, I even used it for writing my proposal and resume for the science job. I have to say, Ubuntu 10.04 works super fine for my laptop, and I can't tolerate about the stop of support in 2013... where should I go?

:popcorn:Xubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

A new version of Xubuntu is released every six months, every fourth of which is a Long Term Support release, meaning that you are eligible to security updates for three years as opposed to the not-too-shabby-either eighteen months that you get with the normal releases.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Xubuntu-Precise-Pangolin-77002.shtml

linuxkvh
January 8th, 2013, 03:23 PM
8 years old Dell 700m upgraded to 1GB Ram.

works like a charm

CharlesA
January 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
:popcorn:Mine is newer,what i cant understand is there,s more than 500 views and only 62 votes.i find that (strange) its like that with every thread.

Guests/bots can view threads too! ;)

I had to look up how old my current desktop is and it's about a year and a half old - bought the parts in June of 2011.

stalkingwolf
January 8th, 2013, 04:59 PM
defining the main or most used in my house is impossible. I have 4 computers
online. 2 desk tops and 2 laptops.

Mine (this one) is the one i use for work and research , email and some chatting usually until mid afternoon. no idea how old it is (hp5713), i traded the entire system for a laptop about a year and a half ago.

My Wifes is her primary computer, an emachines desktop that we bought used for 75.00 again the entire system and a printer,about 2 and a half years ago. an EL1200 as i recall. It had win xp on it but wouldnt work. Barely booted. 225 viruses later it worked fine, install 10.10 and zorin and it hasnt stopped.

The one on my bench is a dell d800 i bought from a coworker of my wifes for 50.00 i use it for testing and file transfer stuff.

The last is an eee i bought in a pawn shop for my birthday 3 years ago its a 1005ha. used primarily in the afternoon and evening for chat, skype, or when i need to go mobile.

I guess there is no primary in my house. each has its own primary purpose and function, all run a flavor of ubuntu.

TeamRocket1233c
January 8th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Five year old HP Compaq dc5750 small form factor desktop running Ubuntu 12.10.

PhilGil
January 8th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I've had my desktop less than a year, but it was 3 1/2 years old when I got it. My "new" laptop (a Christmas gift to myself) is about the same age.

K.Mandla
January 9th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Hi all. Long time no see. ;)

Gateway Solo 2150. (http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P2150/P215012.shtml)

CPU~Single core Celeron (Coppermine) (-UP-) clocked at 501.145 Mhz Kernel~3.6.11-1-ARCH i686 Up~1:43 Mem~55.2/277.9MB HDD~80.0GB(12.5% used) Procs~72 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.26
BIOS date is from 2000 but I think these were sold earlier than that. So ... +/- 12 years?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 9th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Looking at last year's poll, you had an inspiron 1420, like what I still have...

I've heard the nvidia video chip frequently fails on this model. Was that it? ...

Actually, it was the laptop's keyboard controller that failed. The keyboard controller is part of the motherboard and not part of the keyboard that can be replaced. I had replaced the keyboard a year earlier. I probably could have used the laptop with a USB keyboard; however, what is the point of having something mobile if you have to carry a keyboard with you. Beside that, I was waiting for an excuse to get a new laptop.

CharlesA
January 9th, 2013, 03:22 AM

Hey!

Hope you are doing well!

On a complete sidenote, I checked my server and it is only about 9 months old (build it in time for 12.04), but usually it's just sitting there storing files. :lolflag:

lykwydchykyn
January 9th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Gateway Solo 2150. (http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P2150/P215012.shtml)

BIOS date is from 2000 but I think these were sold earlier than that. So ... +/- 12 years?

Glad to see you're still rocking the classic hardware. :)

a2j
January 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Dell T5400, the most powerful PC in my house. Dual Quad core Xeons, RAID0, SSD, GTX470. Works great. Power hungry.

Lucradia
January 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM
2-3 years (not all my components are the same, so technically, I can't vote, since the CD-ROM is the oldest piece of hardware in there, running in at 2.54 years or so.)

The motherboard I just bought mid last year, and the GPU I bought in December of 2012. The CPU is nearing the 2 year mark as well. The RAM used to be only 8 GB, and that was from... before I got the new motherboard I think? Then I got 8 more GB after, right before I got the new GPU.

JayKay3OOO
January 9th, 2013, 08:37 PM
About 2 probably coming up to 3.

The 3.6GHZ quad core AMD phenom x2 965BE still runs smooth and fairly quiet once the naff stock cooler was thrown away.

It has survived being knocked off my desk by a drunk house m8 while on which required a new case and then being dropped in the rain by my mother (docs told me I could not lift much) it still works after some time in the dry.

I keep threatening to put in a landfill due to size, but as my small devices pass through quickly old parts box keeps doing what I need it to do with a constant overclock on GPU due to it being a non-fan non-gaming card. Overclock to 3.8GHZ is 2 second job, but there is no noticeable gain except much hotter and more power use.

Future upgrades may be:

Blu ray or HD DVD drive
Better graphics card
SSD
More RAM
Throwing the whole thing in the bin.

TenPlus1
January 9th, 2013, 08:48 PM
My main pc is an Acer Aspire Revo which I purchased last November, although I also use my old Compaq M2000 laptop just as much which was I received 2nd hand in 2002 and still works well to this day running Bodhi Linux (1.4ghz, 1gb mem, 40gb HD, Intel GFX)...

larrypg
January 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
My current computer is an i7 with 12g ram and a 2 tb hd. It was built in november of 2011. The ones sitting around ( not sure why I keep them) range from a 1978 (?) TRS-80 ( the hd is a cassete tape), a 1995 laptop that is so underpowered that you can not run anything except old dos and several desktops from over the years.

viperdvman
January 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
My computer, in its current form, is roughtly 4 years old, using 5 year old technology. Though I am planning to build an Ivy Bridge system sometime in the early spring.

Penguinnerd
January 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Interesting.
The dip that I observed for "2 years old" last year seems to have moved to "3 years old" this year. This is what I was hoping for, as it shows some amount of consistency.

However, it looks like the magnitude of the dip is much more exaggerated this year. Not sure why. Maybe people weren't happy with their 2010 PC's for some reason.

Furthermore, the percentage of 1 year old PC's has gone up alot. This, at least for Ubuntu Forum users, must have been a good year for PC sales. The average age of PC's has decreased as a result, to about 3.6 years.

But no votes for 9 years? That's odd. Nobody kept using their 2004 PC?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 11th, 2013, 02:37 AM
But no votes for 9 years? That's odd. Nobody kept using their 2004 PC?

I have one at least that old; however, it is not my "main home PC". I have 5 home PCs. The newest one, that is less than a year old, is my "main home PC". :)

You changed '9 years or older' to '9 years'; then; added '10 years or older'. That could have influenced the results you are getting.

dempewolff
January 11th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Bought this Refurbished Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008 ditched Vista, reformatted with a partition to dual boot Win XP or Ubuntu.
In 2010 replaced the ccfl myself (won't do that again)and then the inverter (yes, should have replaced both at the same time)Now it is running slowly in XP even after ditching the resource hogs. So, decided to use Ubuntu on a regular basis again. Just upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04. Probably not a good idea, however, once I get the wireless driver working (broadcom 4311), I will be happy... well for a while anyway.

angry_johnnie
January 12th, 2013, 12:21 AM
The main desktop is about three or four years old. I chose 4 just to be on the safe side. It has a foxconn A6VMX motherboard, AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb ram, about 710 Gb HD, and integrated ATI graphics. I bought it incredibly cheap from a friend (with much less ram and much less hd space) about a year ago, and it's been running Debian stable since then.

The oldest computer in the household, although not the main one, is a 12 year old Dell inspiron 2500 laptop, with a pentium III coppermine cpu @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb ram, and 20 Gb hd. I got it for free from my brother in law, who was going to throw it away about a year and a half ago. Fortunately enough, I had enough spare parts to replace what was missing (ram, ethernet port, etc), and it's been running Debian stable, also, since then.

MoebusNet
January 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM
System76 Serval Pro 7 notebook (Sandy Bridge) purchased at the end of 2011. Glad to be missing the EUFI-boot issues :)

My back-up notebook is an old Dell D800 Pentium-M running Xubuntu 12.04 that I bought new in 2002. I had to upgrade the wireless card and HDD years ago, and the video card recently (compatibility) but it still putts along...

captjack
January 18th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I have one desktop that we purchased in 1998 or 1999. It is a Compaq and has had more coffee spilled on it than I can recall. It still runs but is slow. I also have my sons old Dell desk top that I think we got him in 2001. He put Lubuntu on that one and it works perfectly. I switch the cords on both as I only use one at a time. I kept some of my favorite programs on the older Compaq that Lubuntu doesn't have or has nothing comparable-example, I like Photofiltre and there isn't a program on Ubuntu that I like to use instead.

HappinessNow
January 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Primary computer - bought new October 2012 (2011 chasis with updated guts)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F8_mjZrn9DI/UPkoqN9APFI/AAAAAAAATcY/A2Qqd6w4zq0/s586/iMac.jpg

t0p
January 18th, 2013, 02:24 PM
My main computer is my Packard Bell EasyNote TS which I bought last June/July. Dual-core Intel Celeron, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" LCD monitor, dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. Integrated graphics (Intel) but I don't need fancy visuals. Anyway, it was cheap, I had little money, a marriage made in heaven.

Previous to that, for some years, was a Pentium 4 desktop with 1GB RAM, running Ubuntu 8.04. That machine's stopped working now. I think I just need to open it up, dust it inside and maybe wobble the RAM a bit, like I had to do a few years ago when I upgraded the RAM. Crap computer compared to the laptop.

Rsxhawk
January 18th, 2013, 05:34 PM
My main rig is something I JUST built a few weeks ago. Its a core i5-3570k with 8 gig of ram, an ssd, and 1 tb storage drive inside a BitFenix Prodigy (white). Its freakishly fast and running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Prior to that my main rig was an Intel Q6600 quad-core with 4 gig of ram, a XFX GTX260 graphics card inside an Antec 900 case. I built it back in 2006 and it has served me flawlessly. It runs windows 7 like champ but the thing is just too dang huge and loud with all the fans that I needed to downsize. I'm actually trying to sell it if anyone is interested. I am currently running this old windows install as a VM inside my new machine described above! :-)

chron3
January 19th, 2013, 05:47 PM
My main computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad E330 (Intel i3-3110m). I just bought this machine about a week ago after I sold my MacMini.

I always wanted to try Linux as everyday OS and also, I'm way too cheap to buy a MacBook. :D

fooman
January 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM
my main rig was built by myself about a year ago. it is housed in an ENORMOUS cooler master HAF 932, advanced blue edition case.

it contains the following:

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi
FAN/HEATSINK: COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)
SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 128GB
HDD: Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB
HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD20EARX 2TB
HDD: Western Digital WD Green WD15EADS 1.5TB
HDD: Western Digital Black WDC WD6401AALS 640GB
VIDEO CARD: ASUS GTX480 ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5
POWER SUPPLY: CORSAIR 1000W CMPSU-1000HX

OPERATING SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 12.10 (64bit), openSUSE 12.2 (64bit), Window 8 PRO(64bit), Ubuntu 13.04 (64bit)

Xisiqomelir
February 10th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Newegg keeps order histories forever, so I still have this to post:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/Xisiqomelir/Linuxputer1point0_zps93fa5f70.png
Upgrades over the years:
-2 GB more RAM (same brand/part#)
-500 GB and 2 TB HDDs
-New power supply
-802.11n PCI card
-1390120 model M

Still works like a champ, running Arch and standalone Compiz. vdpau mplayer handles 1080p BD rips without trouble. If the parts keep holding out, I see no compelling reason to buy anything new for 3 more years.

ACubed10
February 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I have a custom built computer that I put together myself. In 2008. It was a gaming computer now it's my home computer

kio_http
February 10th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Around 4 year old 1st gen Intel Atom system here. But since it is designed to be slow, performance is like an 8 year old computer.

stefangr1
February 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
My laptop is 4 years old, and my pc 6 years. And I must say the switch from windows to Ubuntu about 7 years ago definately contributed to this as it just doesn't seem to get as slow over time compared to windows computers.

VeeDubb
February 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
This is really tough one for me to answer, because I keep doing upgrades and partial rebuilds, although I went with 4 years per the instructions.

The MOBO/CPU/RAM are all about 4 years old
The video card and PSU are about 5
The case is about 8
The 1TB drive with /home on it is about 3
The 160gb drive with / on it 5 years. Before that I was still using the 40GB WD that came with a gateway I bought way back in '99. 9 years for a HDD is pretty good if you ask me.
The DVD burner is 6 or so
The WiFi is only a year

I do have to say, I've been seriously considering upgrading again too. I'd really like to get one of the 8-core AMD's (which means new mobo, ram and psu of course) to speed up my DVD-mkv transcodes and processing raw camera files. I've also been seriously considering a new video card for Skyrim. It's such a shame to play that game with textures at medium and everything else at low, but that's all my GeForce 9800GT can handle.

prodigy_
February 10th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Self-assembled mine last summer. It's in my sig, SSD isn't mentioned but it's 240GB Intel 520. The previous one I built in late 2008, now using it as a router and VMWare/file server.

car1o
February 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I literally just built a small form factor PC and came back to Ubuntu. Last time I used Ubuntu was in the 9.x days. Wow, I'm loving how polished it looks! I'm glad to be back.

New build:
AMD A10 5800k
Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3
Kingston Hyper X 1866 8GB
Hitachi 750GB HDD (I should get an SSD soon for OS only)
Xion xon-720p slim case

Erik1984
February 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
It should be 4.5 years old, 5 in june. Then the motherboard just gave up. So now I have a new rig.

TeamRocket1233c
March 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Glad to see you're still rocking the classic hardware. :)

I used to rock a PII, but decommissioned it on my 20th birthday, in place of an HP dc5750 ( http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-12454-64287-321860-3328896-3253421.html?dnr=1 ).

VirginiaDrifter
April 1st, 2013, 01:41 AM
Just recently gave my 7 year old IBM to our nephews daughter and got me a new Lenova :). What a difference !!

ManamiVixen
April 1st, 2013, 02:04 AM
Mine is was built earlier this year, but out of 5 year old parts cause I'm cheap and it was unexpected. I just originally wanted a CPU upgrade and ended up replacing the entire core components due to reasons.

Computer:
Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
4GB G.Skilz DDR2 800MHz
Intel DG41RQ Motherboard
Nvidia Quadro 600 Graphics
Creative Labs XF-I xTreme Gamer Audio
2x320GB WD Caviar HD's non-raid
Fractal Designs Core 1000 Case
Ultra 450W PSU
Lite-On SATA CD/DVD-RW Drive
Logitec Z313 Speakers
Samsung T220 Monitor
Logitec K and M 120 Keyboard and Mouse Combo

It runs great and is powerful. It has a few more years left on it before I have to upgrade to keep up.