PDA

View Full Version : Software with Linux origins that becomes popular in Windows

ofnuts
January 7th, 2013, 03:19 AM
It seems there are a few programs that originated on Linux but ended up rather popular on Windows. Off the top of my head I can cite Gimp and Infozip. Are there any others?

Jakin
January 7th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I don't know the general populous out there, but my friends and family using Windows: Gimp, Tuxpaint, Open/Libre Office, FreeCiv.

cariboo
January 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Don't forget vlc.

Jakin
January 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Don't forget vlc.

Yes, definately the best (even on windows... there used to be a video player called "the K(orean)Mplayer" that was fantastic, but now surpassed by VLC.)

coldcritter64
January 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Firefox, gimp, vlc, oOo were the main open source programs I used on Windows. There were many more seen over the years, going on the GPL licences I was often reading back then.

befana
January 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM
SuperTuxKart, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Calibre.
I`m not sure for 7zip, Stellarium, Rainlendar, Workrave and Oracle VM VirtualBox.

ofnuts
January 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM
The important criterion in the question is wether the app started as a Linux app. This is definitely true of Gimp, and likely of 7zip, but AFAIK {Open|Libre}Office and the Mozilla stuff were multi-platform from the beginning. I still can't tell from the Wikipedia entry if VLC was Linux-only at birth.

befana
January 7th, 2013, 09:41 AM
The important criterion in the question is wether the app started as a Linux app. This is definitely true of Gimp, and likely of 7zip, but AFAIK {Open|Libre}Office and the Mozilla stuff were multi-platform from the beginning. I still can't tell from the Wikipedia entry if VLC was Linux-only at birth.

In 2001, after many months (if not years) of negotiation, the school's Director agreed to a change to the GPL licence. Developers from all around the world started working on the project right away. One of them (gibalou) even submitted the Win32 port 6 months later!

http://wiki.videolan.org/History#History