PDA

View Full Version : Do you still Use a dedicated Mp3 Player?

mamamia88
January 7th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Just curious if you guys still use a dedicated mp3 player? I have 2 a walkman e475 which i use all the time and a rockboxed fuze which i don't use as much since the battery is better on the sony. Sure i could use my phone but i prefer the tactile buttons and full week of use on a single charge vs lucky if i make it through a day on my phone. So how about you guys do you still use one?

Jakin
January 7th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Yes, Zune HD (yes, still) Its good portable fun!

Sounds Fantastic for a portable player, and then its good for Xbox 360 usage (though ipod can do the same).

szymon_g
January 7th, 2013, 02:09 AM
I used to have an iPod Classic- great piece of hardware, good battery life and capacity- but it was stolen from me (well... from my GF)- since than I just stick to mobile phone+ earphones. It's much easier just to carry one device like that (which I do all the time) than 2. Also it doesn't require any extra software to synchronise music etc.

mag1strate
January 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Nope, I just use my mobile phone with either google music or grooveshark. Gets what I need :D

TheJackal12
January 7th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Yes, a sansa clip 4GB. Had it for several years. Tactile buttons and rugged design make it the best choice for using it at the gym, in bed, or on the go.

malspa
January 7th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I still have a couple of Sony Mini Disk players, and a box full of mini disks! The only thing I do with them, sometimes I plug the Mini Disk players into something else to listen to the music. Dang things just keep on working, and the sound is great. They used a format called ATRAC, or ATRAC2 (or was it ATRAC3?). Whatever, I thought it was actually a better format than MP3 but I think its proprietary nature spelled its doom.

PhilGil
January 7th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Yes, a sansa clip 4GB. Had it for several years. Tactile buttons and rugged design make it the best choice for using it at the gym, in bed, or on the go.

I have a Clip+. More durable, less fiddly and better battery life than my phone. Also, it's inexpensive so it can easily be replaced if it suffers an unfortunate accident (don't laugh).

mamamia88
January 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I have a Clip+. More durable, less fiddly and better battery life than my phone. Also, it's inexpensive so it can easily be replaced if it suffers an unfortunate accident (don't laugh).

i wish i still had my clip zip but unfortunately forgot to lock my car door one day and somebody stole it. i bought a bunch of these discs that have really strong adheisive on the back that allows me to wear my mp3 player as a necklace with a laynyard. i enjoy using it quite a lot. used it for a 8 hour round trip drive the other day and battery meter still showed full when i got home. to put that into perspective my phone will be dead in a few hours if i use it constantly.

0rigie
January 7th, 2013, 05:49 AM
60gb fifth generation ipod >Long flights\driving\walking
30gb Zune HD >Backup\driving\walking
4gb insignia sport (microSD expansion slot) >Walks (long battery life) working outside
60gb toshiba gigabeat s60 (mini windows media center) >It's here someplace...
8gb fourth gen ipod touch >This one doesn't really count

8gb thumb drives used in one vehicle.

Bucky Ball
January 7th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Two Cowons. They play FLAC files and I love them. Why take a laptop to a party when you can have your whole collection in your pocket??? I certainly wouldn't take the laptop to the beach but certainly take the iAudio7, smaller than a matchbox, super high quality and 50 hours charge ...

No brainer, as, in some ways, is this poll ... ;)

HermanAB
January 7th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I only use one on an aircraft while travelling, since it has near infinite battery life and nothing else can do more than a few hours.

3rdalbum
January 7th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I absolutely still use a dedicated MP3 player.

Even with the same earbuds and a careful tweaking of the equalizer, my phone just doesn't sound as good as my Walkman. The Walkman has all sorts of sound enhancement circuitry, Clear Bass, and all that jazz.

My phone only stores 8 GiB, my Walkman stores 32 gigs. The Walkman interface for music is a lot nicer than the phone's default interface. My Walkman is smaller and lighter so I can put it into my top pocket while listening, and it's a very solid little machine so I don't have to worry too much about dropping it.

I also don't like draining my phone's battery life, as my phone could be my lifeline.

The Walkman also has a few features my phone doesn't, such as FM radio and noise cancelling. The noise cancelling alone is very worthwhile when it gets noisy in the office.

BrokenKingpin
January 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Once I got my Android phone I started using it, mostly so I don't have to carry around multiple devices. I do have a very small Sandisk Sansa, which I will probably use if I ever start exercising again.

standingwave
January 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
My crappy phone doesn't have the memory for storing much music so I have a dedicated mp3 player, a 2GB Riptunes brand I picked up at ToysRUs for $15 that I use for workouts.

MadmanRB
January 8th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Yes, my sony walkman.
Works with linux fairly well, though I need handbrake if I want to load videos onto it.

drawkcab
January 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM

I'm not laughing as I had to replace my clip+ this week. I somehow destroyed the headphone jack. No biggie, they're $30 for the 4gb model.

My phone doesn't have the battery life to serve as my primary mp3 player throughout the day, and it's too clunky to take to a workout and I wouldn't want to lose/destroy it anyway. The sandisk clip series is perfect.

I still have my old iriver h120 whose sound quality is beyond excellent but I rarely use it these days.

PhilGil
January 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I'm not laughing as I had to replace my clip+ this week. I somehow destroyed the headphone jack. No biggie, they're $30 for the 4gb model.

My phone doesn't have the battery life to serve as my primary mp3 player throughout the day, and it's too clunky to take to a workout and I wouldn't want to lose/destroy it anyway. The sandisk clip series is perfect.

I still have my old iriver h120 whose sound quality is beyond excellent but I rarely use it these days.

I have this habit of getting my headphone chord hung up on things. This either rips the plug out of the jack or (if the plug stays in) flings the player across the garden. As I said, at least they're not very expensive.

drawkcab
January 9th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I have this habit of getting my headphone chord hung up on things. This either rips the plug out of the jack or (if the plug stays in) flings the player across the garden. As I said, at least they're not very expensive.

Yup! Not so bad with a $30 player, but I ruined the headphone jack in my $1400 laptop that way!

viperdvman
January 9th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I use a Sansa Clip+ as my MP3 player... big 8GB one with a 32GB MicroSD card on it. It's my primary MP3 player for any time that I use it. I would, however, like to get a hold of a 160GB iPod Classic :D All the space I'll ever need.

Roasted
January 9th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I've been using my phone more and more, however there are times I'd much rather use my old Sandisk, particularly if I'm working out or doing something along those lines.

bfmetcalf
January 9th, 2013, 05:23 AM
I have an iPod that I bought in 2003 before apple became the company it is today. Don't use it much though, usually use my android phone for my music.

PhilGil
January 9th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Yup! Not so bad with a $30 player, but I ruined the headphone jack in my $1400 laptop that way!
Ouch!

Bandit
January 9th, 2013, 08:18 AM
I dont have a dedicated music player anymore. I have a iPod Touch 5th Gen 64GB.. I have a great deal of music on it because I enjoy music, but it serves as my traveling computer and has video/voice communication software on it (skype, messages, face time and voxer), web and few games to pass time. Every so often I use it to record video. Dont take many photos with it as mostly have a real camera on hand.