PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC is playing dvd's with weird quality

AM Ramakrishnan
January 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hello, and thanks for looking at my thread. I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1501. In all my experience with Linux, I have found that in-built movie players generally do not work with commercial DVDs. Because of that I had installed VLC Media Player from the Ubuntu Software Center, as VLC has always played DVD's on all the other machines I've installed it on. Now, whenever I play a movie the sound seems to be fine but the video is pixelated and bad quality, with distorted lines running through some parts. I have tested it on multiple DVD's and it is the same on all of them. VLC can't seem to play VCD's either, but Audio CD's work fine. Any assistance is much obliged. Thank You!
-AM

TiberiusT
January 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
VLC, whilst being an outstanding player, does seem to go thru various issues on its rapid development. I've used it since version 0.7 or sommat. First thing is to install the latest version. There's a nice chap called Nate Muench who does a PPA for VLC - he's now upto Ver 2.0.5 - IIRC Precise has version 1.xx included.

https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/vlc2

T

exploder
January 6th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I can recommend using the ppa for VLC. VLC is working great here.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 8th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Thanks, I will definitely try the ppa.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 8th, 2013, 02:09 AM
I have installed it and will post the results by this Sunday. I installed VLC around the second or third of January from the Ubuntu Software Center.

pawankr
January 8th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Hi,i have dell vostro with ubuntu as OS.i m nt able to download the vlc player via software centre.can nebdy suggest how to download it.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 11th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Hi,i have dell vostro with ubuntu as OS.i m nt able to download the vlc player via software centre.can nebdy suggest how to download it.
I searched it from software center and it came up with VLC. I don't know what problem you could be having.

sdowney717
January 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
You should install and run the dvd playback stuff for playing encrypted dvd's. Then it will all work fine.

AM Ramakrishnan
January 13th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I tried vlc after running the installation script for the ppa. The DVD's are still playing fuzzily. The subtitles are working, but audio and video are garbled.

jmate24
January 13th, 2013, 11:18 PM
did any of you try to install the ... Multimedia and Video how To at the top of this forum maybe that will fix your issue. and also you may have to set the video to deinterlace the stream (dvd).

Plus I don't really care for VLC on Linux instead i use mplayer2 and gecko-mediaplayer it works for me and they are in the repos. just install it with this command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install mplayer2 gecko-mediaplayer

best of luck,

jmate24

mandarke
January 14th, 2013, 06:07 AM
can you post a screenshot or a video on youtube of what you're getting in VLC when watching dvds?