PDA

View Full Version : boot usb3 pendrive in usb port

sudodus
January 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hi there!

I have been quite happy booting [KLX]Ubuntu from usb2 or usb3 pendrives in a usb2 port. (A usb3 pendrive has faster flash than most usb2 ones, so that they will use more of the usb2 port transfer speed. But still, it is quite slow.)

I am also quite happy with esata for booting as well as regular data transfer from external drives.

But it seems that usb3 is growing on the market, and particularly new laptops are delivered without esata ports.

I understand that there have been problems to boot using usb3: boot from a usb3 pendrive in a usb3 port.

Do you know if it is possible today? Have you done it, in that case how?

roten
January 6th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I'd like that too, CD and USB2 are slow.

C.S.Cameron
January 7th, 2013, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure about USB 3 flash drives but my USB 3 hard drive boots fine from the USB 3 port in my HP EliteBook.

I have not tried bench marking but the speed seems at least as good as internal SATA.

sudodus
January 7th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure about USB 3 flash drives but my USB 3 hard drive boots fine from the USB 3 port in my HP EliteBook.

I have not tried bench marking but the speed seems at least as good as internal SATA.
Great, I'm rather sure a flash drive can boot when a hard drive boots :-)

The important thing should be that USB3 is recognized early enough to boot.

One more detail please: What version of Ubuntu are you running? (I plan to stay with 12.04 as long as possible.)

C.S.Cameron
January 8th, 2013, 02:14 AM
It is working for me with 12.04.

sudodus
January 8th, 2013, 06:16 AM
It is working for me with 12.04.
Thanks again :-)