PDA

View Full Version : I'm selling on Craigslist. Buyer wants me to sell on ebay & pay via PayPal. Thoughts?

hanzj
January 6th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Dear Ubuntu community,

I posted an item on craigslist that is going for about $40. A seller tells me he's not local (but in same country), but asks if I'm okay with selling the item over eBay and receiving money through Paypal.

What are your thoughts about this?

HansKisaragi
January 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Iv never used craigslist but iv been using ebay/paypal for 7 years and love it.

GreenTaurus
January 6th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I've done this before, he gets a measure of protection and so do you -- just make sure to insure the item before you mail it (you can set up an auction for only one person, theres something in the ebay FAQ in this regard).

Since its not worth all that much I wouldn't worry about it in the least. With IPhone 5s they were submitting that the item was 'not as described' and unless you have proof, the the buyer gets to keep the item and their dispute will be found against you (ask me how I know!)

Take pics & prove the items condition before sending if you're worried about it.

cariboo
January 6th, 2013, 10:58 AM
There are just as many scammers on Craigslist, as anywhere else, I'd give this one a pass, and wait for someone local. If you had wanted to sell your item on ebay, wouldn't you have listed it there to start with?

grish
January 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I think its because of the scammers on craigslist too.

You've got some protection via paypal/ebay.

I'd say go for it.
Take screenshots of his messages/emails just to have something in case you get scammed.

I hope it works out for ya.

Cheers!

mkvnmtr
January 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
PayPal can be used to pay for things bought on any site if the seller and buyer both have an account. I use it for international payments quite a lot but I never use Ebay.

Gremlinzzz
January 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM
:popcorn:Its $40 bucks wait for local buyer not worth the hassle of Buyer wants me to sell on ebay & pay via PayPal.

offgridguy
January 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM
There are just as many scammers on Craigslist, as anywhere else, I'd give this one a pass, and wait for someone local. If you had wanted to sell your item on ebay, wouldn't you have listed it there to start with?
Agreed.

forrestcupp
January 6th, 2013, 08:04 PM
I'd rather sell on ebay than Craigslist any day. I've heard scary stories about Craigslist. There's protection with ebay and PayPal and zero protection with Craigslist, so I wouldn't have any problem at all with doing this.

haqking
January 6th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Craigslist had a killer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Markoff

eBay hasnt had one yet, go with them.....LOL

hanzj
January 7th, 2013, 07:32 AM
just make sure to insure the item before you mail it
Great idea, GreenTaurus. I just hope that the added cost doesn't bite back at me if the seller lies to eBay and PayPal. If he does, not only do I lose out on the $40 item and the cost of shipping, I also lose out on the insurance cost. :-(

With IPhone 5s they were submitting that the item was 'not as described' and unless you have proof, the the buyer gets to keep the item and their dispute will be found against you (ask me how I know!)
How do you know?

Take pics & prove the items condition before sending if you're worried about it.

I plan on recording a no-cut (one-shot) movie clip of the item, in all angles, to putting it into the shipping box/container, to handing it over to the post office employee, to the post office employee taking it away from me. But a buyer could still rip me off. :-(

hanzj
January 7th, 2013, 07:34 AM
One thing I disklike about eBay: They keep about 10% of the gross.

sdowney717
January 7th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Ebay pretty good. I buy a lot of electronics. Sometimes things dont work or not as described.

I bought a used drive which seller said was perfect and smart said was failing. I got a refund had to ship it back.

I had an open case on an IRF transistor not as described, he posted wrong numbers. So I returned but had to pay shipping back. That got me mad. So I call ebay to say was not happy with how it went down seeing the item was not as described in the listing, bad seller.
So Ebay gave me a 10$ courtesy coupon.

It is the shipping back that I dont like IF I have to pay and the item is defective. Which has happened about 5 times in several years.

One time I as a seller sold a motherboard and clearly said sound was not working and included a sound card. the woman buys it and 6 months later hear from some guy that I sold him a bad board and he wants a full refund. They live in Canada. So I say ok ship it back. He does not want to ship back, just wants refund. Shipping would be $26. Not worth the cost to ship back for a $35 board. So in that case EBAY policy protected me as seller from a scam buyer. and case resolved in my favor. You have no idea who your dealing with or what they will try to pull. On opening his case, he wrote some incredible sob story about me to Ebay and how he was emotionally devastated about this happening to him.

forrestcupp
January 7th, 2013, 03:56 PM
One thing I disklike about eBay: They keep about 10% of the gross.

Yeah, that's the only downside of it.

lykwydchykyn
January 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Tell him you'll do it as long as he accepts a bump in price to cover the fees and the extra time involved.

Dr. C
January 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Ebay / Paypal offer some protection to the buyer; however this same protection can be used by an unscrupulous buyer to defraud the seller. For this reason I would be very concerned if a buyer asks you to list on Ebay. If you wanted to sell on Ebay you would have listed there in the first place.