PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity freeze and GPU lockup

tuuk
January 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Every couple of days, the Unity (Ubuntu 12.10) on my laptop (DELL Latitude 6510) freezes. I cannot get any response from the desktop. If I switch to a text terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and switch back (Ctrl-Alt-F7), the desktop unfreezes but the Unity launcher, the top panel, and the title bars of the windows all disappear. Logging out (with Ctrl-Alt-Delete) does not solve the problem; a restart is needed. All the logged-in users are affected by this.

From the apport error messages I get, it looks like it is related to a GPU lockup and the package xserver-xorg-video-intel is implicated.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help with my problem?

Please let me know if I can provide more information that will be useful in diagnosis.

Thanks.
tuuk

fdrake
January 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Every couple of days, the Unity (Ubuntu 12.10) on my laptop (DELL Latitude 6510) freezes. I cannot get any response from the desktop. If I switch to a text terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and switch back (Ctrl-Alt-F7), the desktop unfreezes but the Unity launcher, the top panel, and the title bars of the windows all disappear. Logging out (with Ctrl-Alt-Delete) does not solve the problem; a restart is needed. All the logged-in users are affected by this.

From the apport error messages I get, it looks like it is related to a GPU lockup and the package xserver-xorg-video-intel is implicated.

Does anyone have any ideas that can help with my problem?

Please let me know if I can provide more information that will be useful in diagnosis.

Thanks.
tuuk

if the freeze happens again login into the console and save the logs into a file

dmesg >> ~/dmesg.txt
less .xsession-errors > ~/xerrors.txt
and post here the files.

or provides us the dmesg (with the time the freeze happened) and the .xsession-errors.old

tuuk
January 11th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks fdrake. Attached are the logs as you asked. I hope it helps. It seems like there are some clues in there, but they do not mean much to me.

I am looking forward to hearing more.

Best,
tuuk