PDA

View Full Version : how would you share 250mb worth picture files to a slow connection?

sdowney717
January 5th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I was wanting to share this on google drive. But one of the recipients is supposedly having some trouble.
I wanted them to have picture possesion, not just view them on picassa.
So I zipped them all and let them download from google drive.

Perhaps the zip they get is corrupt, I dont know.
Would it be better to upload a folder of pictures to google drive and then give access to the folder?

mips
January 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Define slow connection?

sdowney717
January 5th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Internet access is boost mobile running barnacle app on an android phone as a hot spot connection in a rural area.

It is usable, much better than dialup. Can mostly keep up with youtube, sometimes it stops, then plays again type speed.

mips
January 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Internet access is boost mobile running barnacle app on an android phone as a hot spot connection in a rural area.

It is usable, much better than dialup. Can mostly keep up with youtube, sometimes it stops, then plays again type speed.

Means nothing to me.

1. Don't know the service
2. Youtube videos come in different resolutions so it's no measure of speed.

I would probably just upload a folder of pics. Alternatively I would mail them in 20MB batches if it's a once off thing.

t0p
January 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I would probably just upload a folder of pics. Alternatively I would mail them in 20MB batches if it's a once off thing.

This. Most probably the 20MB batches, as you wouldn't want to upload all 250MB in one go on a slow connection, and if connection broke or something you'd have to start again.

tartalo
January 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
- Burn to CD
- Give or send by postal service

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 5th, 2013, 10:38 PM
if you send it using a torrent file, that will sumcheck everything
carrier pidgins are useful also

forrestcupp
January 5th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Uploading a folder is definitely better than zipping them. That way, they can fetch the pictures one at a time if they need to, which is a lot smaller download than all of them in one big zip. If you upload a folder, they can download the files at their discretion and leisure, instead of being forced to download however many megabytes you decide to include at a time.

GreenTaurus
January 5th, 2013, 11:08 PM
What about a service like dropbox? They could be downloaded at the other parties leisure from there...

speedwell68
January 6th, 2013, 01:41 AM
What about a service like dropbox? They could be downloaded at the other parties leisure from there...

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Although there would be no real difference in uploading a folder to Google Drive as already suggested.

mastablasta
January 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
also there is Ubuntu one....

i would go torrent in this case

t0p
January 6th, 2013, 12:13 PM
- Burn to CD

Nah, print them onto a nice thick photo paper then send them via mail as postcards!

forrestcupp
January 6th, 2013, 02:02 PM
If you use Dropbox or Google Drive, make sure you send them a link to download from their browser instead of having them sync their computers to everything.

sdowney717
January 6th, 2013, 03:08 PM
It is a link I sent, no sync.

SO I uploaded the folders and share them to anyone with a link.
I can view fine.

This is what he gets now, an error.
He still cant see anything.
He is using windows7 and typically uses IE.

The error is worthless message. There is no right click to select export for me to download it either.
How is this a google docs item?
I can click a google drive icon top left of page, then right click select download, but then I am the owner.
still no export function that I see.

Sort of think to try drop box or ubuntu one.
Will ubuntu one share folder or files with people so that they can download them?

TheFu
January 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
- Burn to CD

Clearly they don't feel internet connectivity is very important or they would not limit themselves to a slow, old, cellular data connection.

Spend the $0.25 on a blank CD and the $0.70 to mail it. Ask the other person for $10 to cover the costs and effort involved.

Or you could use ImageMagick tool to optimize the images for Grandma so they are 90% smaller, then let her download them over the cellular data connection.

change the resolution to 640x480 or some other reasonable size, not the 12MegPix stuff that cameras put out today.
Use "convert" as outlined here http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/09/07/optimize-image-file-sizes to web-optimize the image files. It is impressive how much you can further reduce file sizes while still not noticing it.

If you don't like them, get the $10 upfront. ;)

Gremlinzzz
January 6th, 2013, 03:48 PM
:popcorn:Print them and send by mail.that's what i would do.

iMurshaq
January 6th, 2013, 03:54 PM
have you tried compressing the folder to a .rar or .7z?

sdowney717
January 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Since I sync all picture folders to ubuntu one, I shared folder to them.
They will have to sign up for ubuntu one account to view. I know he has a dropbox account, so might also do that.

offgridguy
January 6th, 2013, 04:05 PM
- Burn to CD
Probably not the answer you wanted, but i like this advice.

mastablasta
January 6th, 2013, 06:07 PM
They will have to sign up for ubuntu one account to view. I.

no, all you need to do is select to publish the folder and send give them the link provided by ubuntu one.

mike acker
January 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I was wanting to share this on google drive. But one of the recipients is supposedly having some trouble.
I wanted them to have picture possesion, not just view them on picassa.
So I zipped them all and let them download from google drive.

Perhaps the zip they get is corrupt, I dont know.
Would it be better to upload a folder of pictures to google drive and then give access to the folder?

CD or DVD via USPS

sdowney717
January 6th, 2013, 07:06 PM
He was using IE and IE was the problem.
Now this is a windows7 PC.

I asked him to try google chrome browser, and he can see it all, including ubuntu one files.

He also had some trouble uploading using IE, and I told him to abandon IE in place, evacuate the use of it, and just use Chrome.

forrestcupp
January 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Since I sync all picture folders to ubuntu one, I shared folder to them.
They will have to sign up for ubuntu one account to view. I know he has a dropbox account, so might also do that.

I've successfully used Dropbox to send someone a link to a file or folder. I've never used Google Drive or Ubuntu One like that, but I can confirm that Dropbox works well in that way.

AstroLlama
January 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM
how far away is the recipient? what country do you live in?

In the USA, or italy for example mailing a cd or pen drive (pen drive is sturdier) in a small, light, padded package using a rushed 2 or 3 day delivery wouldn't cost too much. And if time is of the essence then the price is worth it. International mail is more expensive though!

sdowney717
January 6th, 2013, 10:04 PM
They are in the same state of VA, about 300 miles away.

I dont know why IE gave him so much grief. I personally cant stand to use it.

t0p
January 7th, 2013, 12:59 AM

So you could just hike over and deliver the pics in person.

Wow, the internet has made people so lazy!! ;)

mips
January 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM

I dont know why IE gave him so much grief. I personally cant stand to use it.

Tell him to use a decent download manager like GetRight to handle his downloads. Also get him to switch to Chrome or Firefox while you are at it.