PDA

View Full Version : [other] Problem when booting.. Please help

Xeiss
January 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hey there.
I'm new here, and I just install Ubuntu aside windows (New partition and all).
When I start my computer, I get some stuff written, and then it says: "Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status OK" and then the boot is just stuck there.
I can only boot to my Windows/Ubuntu if I turn off my computer from the power switch at the back, and then turn it on again. Everytime I reboot it happens.
Please help me!
Thanks in advance :)

Bucky Ball
January 5th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades

Welcome to the forums. You might have better luck here and if you could provide more info:

You turn the power supply off? Desktop or laptop?
Which release are you using?
When you switch off and back on again you can successfully boot into either Win or Ubuntu?
You have Windows and Ubuntu side-by-side you mean, on separate partitions, and not a Wubi install; Ubuntu inside Windows? (You say 'Ubuntu aside windows' so not sure if you mean inside.)

The text you're getting is fine, that is a positive. It's just obviously getting stuck there and not able to go further for some reason.

Xeiss
January 5th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Yeah, my power supply via the power switch in the back.
Desktop.
Ubuntu 12.10
Yes, after I switch off and back I can boot to Windows or Linux without any problem (it stills shows me the message but it keeps on going and it doesn't stuck there)

Bucky Ball
January 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM
You have Windows and Ubuntu side-by-side you mean, on separate partitions, and not a Wubi install; Ubuntu inside Windows? (You say 'Ubuntu aside windows' so not sure if you mean inside.)?

And also make and model of machine, please.

Xeiss
January 5th, 2013, 03:08 PM
You have Windows and Ubuntu side-by-side you mean, on separate partitions, and not a Wubi install; Ubuntu inside Windows? (You say 'Ubuntu aside windows' so not sure if you mean inside.)?

And also make and model of machine, please.
I didn't install Ubuntu with Wubi. I just made a separate partition for "/" and for swap (double of my RAM size).

Hmm model of the machine? I guess you mean the parts, right?
Intel Core i7 920 2.6Ghz
Geil 3GB DDR3 (3x1GB)
nVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512MB
Hard Disk - 500GB (Not sure which company, I could check if it matters)
Motherboard: MSI X58 PRO-E
Network and Sound cards are also necessary?

Bucky Ball
January 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Network and Sound cards are also necessary?

No. If they're not working that is the stuff of separate threads. Rather than killing the power, what happens if you press Control+Alt+Del or if you hit Alt+F7 when it gets stuck?

Xeiss
January 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
No. If they're not working they are the stuff of separate threads. Rather than killing the power, what happens with Control+Alt+Del or if you hit Alt+F7 when it get stuck?
Just a sec, let me check.
UPDATE: Noting happens, the whole boot is stuck and I can't do anything but to switch the power off (Or turn off the computer from the switch).