PDA

View Full Version : I would prefer Ubuntu tablet

gefalu2008
January 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Ubuntu Phone is a fantastic project, and I hope it will succeed brilliantly.

I have also high hopes for Ubuntu Tablet. I am annoyed with my iPad, because I cannot do normal computer-like things like file management and home networking with it.

So I would very much prefer a tablet that had wide ranging capabilities, preferably just like any Ubuntu computer.

In fact I could wait longer for a Ubuntu Phone. Tablet is what I need more urgently.

But perhaps it is just me?

Dr. C
January 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Ubuntu runs on the Google Nexus 7

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation

KiwiNZ
January 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Ubuntu phone opens a wealth of exciting possibilities and in 12 months a Ubuntu tablet will sit very well along the phone a Ubuntu desktop.

MyTinFoilHat
January 6th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Ubuntu phone opens a wealth of exciting possibilities and in 12 months a Ubuntu tablet will sit very well along the phone a Ubuntu desktop.

A beefed-up Asus Padfone-like device would be wonderful for Ubuntu.
Voila! The best of all worlds.

Padfone 2: http://www.asus.com/Mobile/PadFone2/

LMP900
January 8th, 2013, 08:17 AM
So I would very much prefer a tablet that had wide ranging capabilities, preferably just like any Ubuntu computer.

I, too, would have preferred a tablet. "Wide ranging capabilities" migh take a while though, Before the iPad was released, people were willing to pay $1000 dollars because they were expecting to have OS X on a tablet. iOS and its apps are getting more capable, but it takes quite some time.

Copper Bezel
January 10th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Ubuntu in its present state wouldn't play nice with the tablet form factor, but if they can make the present app suite translate over to the new interface without changing their code directly, then all that needs to happen is some recompiling for ARM. So the functionality and apps won't be the gradual part; it'll just be Ubuntu on the tablet all at once, with only closed-source apps needing porting, while the interface for the OS and apps make a slow crawl toward not being painful on a touchscreen.

MyTinFoilHat, the fact that Padfone 2 isn't compatible with the Transformer keyboard dock is a crime. (Then add Ubuntu for Android.) = )