PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues installing Ubuntu 12.04 (x64)

VFQuake
January 5th, 2013, 05:15 AM
>>>
Update:

Installed succesfully with "no splash"

Reboot after install, followed guide regarding graphics issues, though I'm stuck.

I'm in recovery mode, though when I try to edit with "sudo nano /etc/default/grub , it says it's "read only". if I try to use "vbeinfo" or any variation, unkown command, and "gksu gedit" gives me ""Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: .

I'm running a GTX 550 ti, and this problem is common, but I'm at a brick wall. Once I get the drivers installed, I should be fine, but without being able to edit the grub so I can actually boot to desktop, I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2F4U
January 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Computer A: Flashing cursor after clicking anything but "memtest" at Ubuntu install menu, (this occurs on either ISO/DVD)

Sounds like a problem related to graphics. Is this the computer in the profile above?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Computer B: Doesn't even recognize that I'm attempting to install.

Does that mean, computer B doesn't boot from the DVD you created? Does this machine have the same hardware specs as computer A?

VFQuake
January 5th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I've attempted to use nomodeset, to no avail. Same with ACPI=off.
Computer B has different specs, and does not even attempt to boot Ubuntu dvd. (Note: I was only attempting to install on the other computer, to see if the DVD was functioning, after that failed, I checked the ISO, and it was consistent with Ubuntu.)

I just attempted to install Wubi, at first restart, I had no options to boot from either OS, I repaired Windows bootloader (recboot /fixboot) which allowed Windows 8 bootloader menu to appear, allowing me to choose from either Windows 8 or Ubuntu (wubi). I chose "Ubuntu", but got stuck a purple screen with nothing on it. I restarted, and am now back in Windows 8. Could this be an issue with my bootloaders? Or is it more than likely the graphics issue?

And yeah, Computer A is the computer posted in the above image.

2F4U
January 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Maybe an issue with the new secure boot option?

VFQuake
January 5th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Update:

Installed succesfully with "no splash"

Reboot after install, followed guide regarding graphics issues, though I'm stuck.

I'm in recovery mode, though when I try to edit with "sudo nano /etc/default/grub , it says it's "read only". if I try to use "vbeinfo" or any variation, unkown command, and "gksu gedit" gives me ""Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: .

I'm running a GTX 550 ti, and this problem is common, but I'm at a brick wall. Once I get the drivers installed, I should be fine, but without being able to edit the grub so I can actually boot to desktop, I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

VFQuake
January 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Runnning in recovery:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

and then attempting to install nvidia drivers through terminal.

VFQuake
January 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Runnning in recovery:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

and then attempting to install nvidia drivers through terminal.

Everything is working flawlessly now.