PDA

View Full Version : Sony: New patent filing describes using RFID chips to tie games to a single user

purplepotion
January 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Examining Sony's Internet-free method for blocking used game sales

New patent filing describes using RFID chips to tie games to a single user.

"A newly published patent application filed by Sony outlines a content protection system that would use small RFID chips embedded on game discs to prevent used games from being played on its systems, all without requiring an online connection. Filed in September and still awaiting approval from the US Patent Office, the patent application[1] for an "electronic content processing system, electronic content processing method, package of electronic content, and use permission apparatus" describes a system" that reliably restricts the use of electronic content dealt in the second-hand markets."

Full Story:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/01/examining-sonys-internet-free-method-for-blocking-used-game-sales/

LillyDragon
January 4th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Oh God, GameFAQs is abuzz with dozens of these topics. ;___; People calling everyone complaining poor, people calling the ones defending the tech blind fan boys, etc; it's awful. >_> I'm sure you Ubuntu users are more sane than that, but still worries me what kind of debates the morality of technology like it might start. I mean, this is a community that's all about open source software, and this anti-consumer garbage that I hope is never used in next generation consoles kinda rubs all of us the wrong way.

inb4thewholecommunitytearsthisthreadapart

tgalati4
January 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM
It's OK, as long as the RFID is not implanted in my neck.

Grenage
January 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Oh God, GameFAQs is abuzz with dozens of these topics. ;___; People calling everyone complaining poor, people calling the ones defending the tech blind fan boys, etc; it's awful. >_> I'm sure you Ubuntu users are more sane than that, but still worries me what kind of debates the morality of technology like it might start. I mean, this is a community that's all about open source software, and this anti-consumer garbage that I hope is never used in next generation consoles kinda rubs all of us the wrong way.

inb4thewholecommunitytearsthisthreadapart

Lol indeed. At the end of the day, people vote with their wallets. If they complain and shell out anyhow, it's their own fault.

LillyDragon
January 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Lol indeed. At the end of the day, people vote with their wallets. If they complain and shell out anyhow, it's their own fault.

True that! I somewhat doubt Sony will actually use this in their next console, but if they do, I'm pretty worried about the consumer backlash it would create; the people voting with their wallets. The PS3's system launch was already bad enough, even laughable to some. I don't want to watch the PS4 die a horribly swift death in both the new and pre-owned markets.

jockyburns
January 4th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Personally, I can't see Sony implementing the NFC technology in their upcoming PS4. European courts ruled in favour of secondhand games selling last year http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a391395/european-court-rules-in-favour-of-pre-owned-digital-game-sales.html

Sony would also upset the companies who re-sell games as well as the games rental industry. They (Sony) might as well shoot themselves in the foot if they choose to implement this .

grahammechanical
January 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM
These businesses have to patent and copyright everything in sight before somebody else does it and then tries to extort massive licence fees out of them.

forrestcupp
January 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
These businesses have to patent and copyright everything in sight before somebody else does it and then tries to extort massive licence fees out of them.

Exactly. And to have IPs in their arsenal for leverage.

People seem to forget pretty much this exact same thing was in the news about Microsoft and the next Xbox earlier last year. Then after everyone was pissed, MS came out and said they won't be blocking used games.