PDA

View Full Version : A new social network in the works?

thnewguy
January 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM
It looks as though a new social network may be in the works. (http://igg.me/p/302944/x/1995247) This one seems to be more focused on sane privacy controls and simplicity. It'll be interesting to see if anything becomes of their efforts.

LuciferRex
January 2nd, 2013, 11:25 PM
Not to be a pessimist, but I don't see this doing well against Facebook. I could be wrong, but if Google couldn't pull it off, I wonder if anyone will be able to.

xedi
January 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Not to be a pessimist, but I don't see this doing well against Facebook. I could be wrong, but if Google couldn't pull it off, I wonder if anyone will be able to.

Google couldn't pull it off? From the perspective of an active G+ user it's quite lively there (and my stream is also much more interesting there than in Facebook). Especially Free Software/Open Source minded people can find lots engagement and interesting folks to follow (Ubuntu is trending right now e.g and in the explore section)

As far as Group Hug goes, I don't see any concrete features which make it better than G+ and if you want to really be in control of your data and/or use open source, then there is already the diaspora and friendica project, so I really don't see the need for Group Hug right now.

TheFu
January 3rd, 2013, 12:04 AM
There are hundreds of "social networks" out there. I suppose it just depends on the definition. Since I don't use twitter, facebook or G+ ... actually, all of those are blocked at the router ... I'm probably not the best person to comment.

However, I have thought about deploying a node on a decentralized social network for family and friends to use. The hardest part will be convincing other people to bother connecting. Facebook, Twitter and G+ aren't exactly open with their connection APIs, so there is little desire on their part to integrate with alternative social networks. Still, Identi.ca is a twitter-like clone that has attracted many F/LOSS project teams who prefer an open standards and federated architecture (more like email, than CompuServ mail).

Federate services should always be preferred over centralized ones if you care about openness, interoperability, and more competition.
</soapbox>

Sorry about that.

Frogs Hair
January 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
I wish the site luck and as for Google they are abandoning some services this year. https://plus.google.com/+RahulRoy/posts/LvUHBjQ8CAR

speedwell68
January 3rd, 2013, 02:16 AM
Is there really a need for another social networking site? It will just be another thing to forget to check.

tjeremiah
January 3rd, 2013, 04:45 AM
there will be a new one and FB will not forever hold the lead. I remember way back of sconex (spelt wrong), then it was Myspace, then came Facebook. Next to have a huge following?

TheFu
January 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
there will be a new one and FB will not forever hold the lead. I remember way back of sconex (spelt wrong), then it was Myspace, then came Facebook. Next to have a huge following?

Before that was AOL, Prodogy, CompuServ .... BBSes. Anyone remember second-life?

Something "new" will happen. Why did MySpace get replaced by Facebook? Something along those lines will cause Facebook to be gone eventually.

It will probably require an internal implosion. They are not stupid and facebook will be around for many years after wards, just like other "effectively dead" organizations.

Buntu Bunny
January 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Seems to me that they all eventually get too big for their britches and topple from the top of the heap.

dannyboy79
January 3rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
i don't see this going anywhere. Myspace is trying to make a comeback, we have google+ and facebook already. there's just no room for another one IMHO

speedwell68
January 4th, 2013, 01:09 AM
we have google+ and facebook already. there's just no room for another one IMHO

Twitter?

oldsoundguy
January 4th, 2013, 01:47 AM
What killed AOL was the page after page of banner ads!
MySpace became a matter of loading time and speed ... the dozens of hidden scripts (mostly tracking for advertising purposes) added to the posts.
That same script issue is beginning to happen way too often on FB .. especially on video clips .. and that screws up streaming! ONE of those scripts goes south and you get crappy video streams. (maybe HTML 5 will change that and we can finally get away from Adobe Flash!)

Social media will change as the market changes. (IE Pintrest is making some inroads now.)
Linkin is still growing for the professionals, but it is really clunky and hard to understand their concepts (they have neglected the K.I.S.S. principle) and there are constant issues with it.