Continuation of this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2099051

Fahim Abdun-Nur
January 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Personally, I'd rather buy a Nexus device. Assuming I ever ditch my iPhone4

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
I really, really like it.

But.

I'm confused… what happened to Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)?

I don't see Ubuntu as a replacement for Android succeeding because of the enormous user-base already there for Android. Ubuntu for Android, on the other hand, I thought would have been the killer app!

But I did notice how Shuttleworth snuck in the ability to convert an iOS app into an Ubuntu one, LOL.

GnuKian
January 2nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Is it available for download now?
Can it be installed on HTC devices (my current htc is running under android)?
The minimum requirements (hardware)?

br0adband
January 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Just watched the long video with Shuttleworth and I have to say I like it, at least what's shown. It's obvious that the demo action in the video is heavily composited material (that hand isn't really touching the actual phone, the video is added in as required) but, if they can actually get it up and running and it's smooth and functional, I can see myself choosing it for a smartphone OS over Android. The other OSes like iOS and Windows Phone I don't even notice anymore. :)

This could be the start of a wonderful thing as I've been hoping to get a device that can fulfill even more functions than a typical smartphone already does.

/me imagines a device like a Samsung Galaxy Note, with a big huge beautiful screen but still small enough to use nicely (I'm a large guy so...) and be able to bring it home, put it on a dock and wham, it becomes whatever I require it to be, with just enough power to do all the stuff I want...

It's gonna be awesome. :D

MyTinFoilHat
January 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
A few thoughts:

-Simply put, I think it looks lovely - and I love the use of the entire screen. Way to think outside the box!
-I'd love to see this thrown into a device like the Asus Padfone. Ta-dah! it's a phone, (slide phone into tablet) it's a tablet, and (plug it into a monitor/tv) - a desktop (or tv)!
-It's nice to see things moving into mobile, but it sucks that there's this big, hyped announcement (complete with a super exciting countdown clock) and no immediate delivery in sight. This 'announcement' seems more like an appeal to OEMs to adopt Ubuntu than it is for members of the community or new users who are sick of the whole Android/iOS/Windoze game and have been ready for it since the announcement of Ubuntu for Android.
-What I really wanted to hear out of this announcement (after seeing that it was a phone) that, "Yes, you can have it right now - go here and buy it, or download it and use it on your current device." So, like some who already posted, I've got that blue balls kind of feeling going on.
-People will only wait for so long before giving up pursuing it.
-I hope all the lens features available in the phone have the same ability to be turned off (or have those features opt-in) for those who like to flex their right to privacy.

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Can it be intallable on HTC devices (my current htc is running under android)?
It's all a bit mysterious, isn't it? Judging by previous posts and requests, I believe that — at this stage — it is available only on the Nexus 7.

zflayerfx
January 2nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Can i install ubuntu phone os on an android device?

haqking
January 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Can it be intallable on HTC devices (my current htc is running under android)?

It's all a bit mysterious, isn't it? Judging by previous posts and requests, I believe that — at this stage — it is available only on the Nexus 7.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

8-11 January

haqking
January 2nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Can i install ubuntu phone os on an android device?

Ubuntu for Android yes http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Ubuntu OS is meant as standalone OS for a phone

Dragonbite
January 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
What gets me is the statement that there are no "one singular system" for phones, tablets, TVs and computers. Other than the TV part, that has been an argument against Microsoft Windows 8 in that it was trying to be all things.

I hope they can bring this out in 2013. Microsoft is all screwey coming out with Windows RT Surface before the holidays and Windows 8 Surface after the holidays. Here's to hoping Canonical/Ubuntu can pull this off!

Of course, using Verizon I am not optimistic they will offer Ubuntu anytime soon. They like having too much control over everything.

zflayerfx
January 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Do i need an ubuntu pc? It looks like so

Tiler
January 2nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
I sure do have an old iphone I'd like to try with the new phone OS.

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
A few thoughts:

-Simply put, I think it looks lovely - and I love the use of the entire screen. Way to think outside the box!
-I'd love to see this thrown into a device like the Asus Padfone. Ta-dah! it's a phone, (slide phone into tablet) it's a tablet, and (plug it into a monitor/tv) - a desktop (or tv)!
-It's nice to see things moving into mobile, but it sucks that there's this big, hyped announcement (complete with a super exciting countdown clock) and no immediate delivery in sight. This 'announcement' seems more like an appeal to OEMs to adopt Ubuntu than it is for members of the community or new users who are sick of the whole Android/iOS/Windoze game and have been ready for it since the announcement of Ubuntu for Android.
-What I really wanted to hear out of this announcement (after seeing that it was a phone) that, "Yes, you can have it right now - go here and buy it, or download it and use it on your current device." So, like some who already posted, I've got that blue balls kind of feeling going on.
-People will only wait for so long before giving up pursuing it.
-I hope all the lens features available in the phone have the same ability to be turned off (or have those features opt-in) for those who like to flex their right to privacy.

It is just announced give it some time, patience is a virtue.

haqking
January 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Do i need an ubuntu pc? It looks like so

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems

moep
January 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
The keynote looks very promising, but I can’t shake the feeling that Ubuntu is moving away from it’s Free OSS approach, towards being just yet another DRM-ladden, closed mobile ecosystem.
I hope the upcoming information can convince me that I’m wrong.

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Am I the only one who gets a slight "Mark Shuttlejobs" vibe from the keynote?

probably, and what does that have to do with it?

orb9220
January 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
Just me or was it my unrealistic expectations followed by Mysterious and Pending Hype on Ubuntu's part?

"So a phone" Big Deal? Not in my eyes and seeing ubuntu trying to enter a super saturated and going up against entrenched major players with established high users counts and established eco-systems.

Seems a too little too late scenario to me. And immediate fail if doesn't support established eco-systems like google-play out of the box.

And again reinforces my fears of more distraction,distancing and attention away from the Ubuntu desktop users as a second thought? As fits the too many irons in the fire and not enough blacksmiths kind of thing?

Maybe unrealistic or unfounded feelings on my part at this point. But seems Ubuntu is more and more becoming less of a unique and different vision of the future and more blend/Fit in and merging with the all the others crowd. Making it just another one of the boys?

I ask as like to bounce my perceptions against what others think on the issue.

moep
January 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM

Sorry, I just now realised that this is probably the wrong place to post such a comment in. I’m probably better off discussing this further on a neutral forum. Remark deleted.

All hail the mighty Ubuntu overlord, Ubuntu Phone has come to rule them all, and so forth.

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just me or was it my unrealistic expectations followed by Mysterious and Pending Hype on Ubuntu's part?

"So a phone" Big Deal? Not in my eyes and seeing ubuntu trying to enter a super saturated and going up against entrenched major players with established high users counts and established eco-systems.

Seems a too little too late scenario to me. And immediate fail if doesn't support established eco-systems like google-play out of the box.

And again reinforces my fears of more distraction,distancing and attention away from the Ubuntu desktop users as a second thought? As fits the too many irons in the fire and not enough blacksmiths kind of thing?

Maybe unrealistic or unfounded feelings on my part at this point. But seems Ubuntu is more and more becoming less of a unique and different vision of the future and more blend/Fit in and merging with the all the others crowd. Making it just another one of the boys?

I ask as like to bounce my perceptions against what others think on the issue.

So no one should try something new then. We should just use one or two products,

nothingspecial
January 2nd, 2013, 08:23 PM
Merged.

mamamia88
January 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Looks interesting but that's just speculation until I actually get my hands on a ubuntu phone. I hope you guys are smart and do something like the nexus 4 that is sold for a reasonable price. Would be nice if it shipped with an unlocked bootloader for installing android if i do not enjoy the experience.

haqking
January 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Looks interesting but that's just speculation until I actually get my hands on a ubuntu phone. I hope you guys are smart and do something like the nexus 4 that is sold for a reasonable price. Would be nice if it shipped with an unlocked bootloader for installing android if i do not enjoy the experience.

Who is "you guys" ?

And you dont need a Ubuntu Phone, just a phone to run it on.

Dragonbite
January 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM

I got that feeling at the announcement too. Actually, Mark seems much more "alive" than a lot of the other speakers from other companies. At least he didn't LOOK like he was trying to be another Steve Jobs.

Kudos to Canonical for trying to ramp up business and awareness!

It is also not a bad time to jump into the mobile business:

Microsoft is only just beginning and has a long way before it wedges into a "big 3" mobile OS position
People are seeing tha there are alternatives to phone OSs and so may be more willing to jump ship to something more
Apple hasn't produced the innovation of years of old so there may be marketshare to gain
Getting the Ubuntu brand recognized in ANY market helps ALL of Ubuntu's markets
I haven't found a phone I really, really like yet... :)

kforum
January 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
So with QML on the phone, and Qt5, in time GTK will be -GONE-? As will gnome?

mörgćs
January 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Please keep the thread on track. The topic is the phone, not good and bad about Mark S's personality.

mamamia88
January 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Who is "you guys" ?

And you dont need a Ubuntu Phone, just a phone to run it on.

oh i thought these forums where run by canonical. edit see a lot of marketing stuff on that page but nothing about actual phones that i can buy or how to install right now

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
… I can’t shake the feeling that Ubuntu is moving away from it’s Free OSS approach, towards being just yet another DRM-ladden, closed mobile ecosystem.
If Canonical is to be able to continue to offer FLOSS Ubuntu, it needs to earn money. That's just a fact of life. I fully support Canonical in making money from its new venture.

I don't know where you get the idea of "DRM-laden" and "closed" from, though, as Ubuntu is open-source and has no DRM.

haqking
January 2nd, 2013, 08:39 PM
oh i thought these forums where run by canonical. edit see a lot of marketing stuff on that page but nothing about actual phones that i can buy or how to install right now

We are all equal here apart from mods who are less equal ;-)

If you want to suggest ideas to Canonical try http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

And that link was just demonstrating the spec requirements for a phone.

It is Open source, I doubt it will be tied to a specific regardless of what it is released on, the specs are there so you can see if your phone supports it

lykwydchykyn
January 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Sweet it uses QML for apps. That's loads better than java IMHO.

Hope this goes somewhere...

tartalo
January 2nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Well, now many of the recent moves done by Ubuntu on the Desktop start to make sense to me.

I find interesting the promise that Ubuntu for phones might work on Android capable devices, for me it would be a huge plus being able to try seriously the OS on a device I already have before making the decision of spending some money on a new device.

If Ubuntu for phones will allow the same level of control about everything "under the hood" I already have with Ubuntu on my PC, that will make an important difference vs Android for me, although one has quite control in a rooted Android device, any desktop Linux distribution is light years ahead in this sense.

On the downside there's software availability, although there are thousands of programs available for Linux they all would need changes to work properly with a touchscreen, I guess that we will see more HTML5 based apps coming to Ubuntu than traditional Linux programs moving to the phone.

Really interesting times ahead, Firefox OS is about to release in Brazil, Samsung announces that they expect to release a Tizen based device this year too... and all seem quite confident on a common ground based on HTML5. (Thanks Mozilla for killing Explorer's monopoly! You made this possible)

I certainly hope that this move works well for Ubuntu (and the rest of contenders compromised with free software), it would be really nice if an "actually free" OS succeeded.

addegsson
January 2nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
This is awesome!

coldcritter64
January 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
...Hope this goes somewhere.And ASAP, ;)
I would buy a good quad core (dockable) phone with that on right now, if it were available. Very handy idea Canonical is sitting on here.

BTW you can register your interest for email news from Canaonical regarding Ubuntu on Phones etc, at the bottom of haqkings link, the section titled "Find out when it's here".

orb9220
January 2nd, 2013, 08:53 PM
More info about it.

Canonical unveils Ubuntu phone OS that doubles as a “full PC”
Seeking OEMs: Who will build Ubuntu phones? (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/canonical-unveils-ubuntu-phone-os-that-doubles-as-a-full-pc/)

whatthefunk
January 2nd, 2013, 09:25 PM
This looks pretty familiar....
One year ago: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/ubuntu-tv-unveiled-at-ces

BigSilly
January 2nd, 2013, 09:28 PM
Just watched the presentation video on Ubuntu.com. My quick capsule review - it looks fearsome!

Really lovely, hope they pull this off. The mobile market is difficult, but there's clearly a lovely product here. Good luck to all involved, and I look forward to getting one. :)

rg4w
January 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
Look wonderful. Lots of good ideas in that video.

The only downside is that any tech company that records a talking head against a white background will inevitably invite Apple comparisons. Thankfully, Mark avoided using the word "magical". :)

NCLI
January 2nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
This looks pretty familiar....
One year ago: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/ubuntu-tv-unveiled-at-ces
The decision to kill Unity 2D was quite a setback for them it would appear. However, Ubuntu for mobile sems to have more manpower and effort behind it. Last I heard, Ubuntu TV only had two guys working on it.

whatthefunk
January 2nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
Made the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868

I really do hope this works out, but Im sceptical....

Linuxratty
January 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Just watched the long video with Shuttleworth

Is it on You Tube yet?

Anderxale
January 2nd, 2013, 10:19 PM
It's going to be difficult to get users until phones come with the os pre-installed. People tend to use stock os which brings me to a few questions.

Will the ubuntu os "rom" have all drivers for all phones like the ubuntu desktop does? Or will there be multiple roms? A difficulty people are experiencing with changing os in phones at the moment is you will need a specific rom for a phone NO not the N-7800, the N-7800i because you are using the international version!! CRAP you bricked your phone! I'm guessing there will be one OS that is installable on any phone... but won't that end up being pretty big? :S
How will these get installed? Through repair or service mode? Will you need to install Clockwork Recovery to install onto the system flash?
Only for Android compatible phones or can we get iphones and replace the ios? :p

Changing Android roms is pretty annoying, I hope installing ubuntu is easy and NOT confusing. It would be nice if the create computer software (and maybe app software?) that installs it for you, I'd hate for this to seem like just a hack.

xtr3m3
January 2nd, 2013, 10:25 PM
Changing Android roms is pretty annoying, I hope installing ubuntu is easy and NOT confusing. It would be nice if the create computer software (and maybe app software?) that installs it for you, I'd hate for this to seem like just a hack.

Flashing Android ROMs is an addiction for some.. :p

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Will the ubuntu os "rom" have all drivers for all phones like the ubuntu desktop does?
I think that the intention is to have pre-installed Ubuntu. The same happens at the moment with Android, so drivers are put in by the manufacturer.

tenchi19134
January 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
All I know is I would love some source so I could start porting... or did I miss it somewhere?

Tiler
January 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Merged.

Thanks for that. I didn't do a good enough search.

GnuKian
January 2nd, 2013, 10:52 PM
Should Ubuntu release the source code freely?

In this case, will we have more mobile OS, based on Ubuntu phone OS, developed by the community or other corporations separately?

odiseo77
January 2nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
Looks really nice. I wonder if the people developing apps for Android will be willing to port their apps to Ubuntu Phone OS? It would be great to have all these Android apps available on Ubuntu Phone OS as well (in case I ever buy a compatible phone). And this could eventually attract more people to the OS.

Dr. C
January 2nd, 2013, 11:11 PM
This is a really exciting concept, a truly open phone OS with a very good user interface. Furthermore one that can be docked to become a desktop. By the way since it is based on Ubuntu this means GPL v3 code deep in the OS and and consequently no locked bootloaders or lack of root access. Because of this the possibility of third party innovation and development on this platform is simply huge. For example how long before someone figures out how to run Android apps on this platform?

The one thing that it will lack that is present in the competition from Apple and Microsoft and in also many Android devices is DRM
Is there any copy protection or digital rights management?

There is no native DRM framework within Ubuntu so there is no system-wide restrictions. We do not believe that DRM is a successful formula because it punishes law-abiding users and doesn’t stop the minority of pirates. However, we do not limit individual developers from using their own rights management system. from http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/commercial-software-faqs/

This lack of DRM alone will make it highly likely that my next phone will be running Ubuntu Phone OS.

dannyboy79
January 2nd, 2013, 11:16 PM
I remember Ubuntu TV being displayed at CES 2012 and look where that went? NOWHERE. Now they are showing a Mobile Phone with Ubuntu at CES 2013, where will it go? Hopefully further then Ubuntu TV. They need OEM and Electronic manufactures to make this work, otherwise it's a pipe dream like Ubuntu TV.

lykwydchykyn
January 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Should Ubuntu release the source code freely?

I would suspect they probably have to, considering the amount of GPL code in Ubuntu.

In this case, will we have more mobile OS, based on Ubuntu phone OS, developed by the community or other corporations separately?

Well, this would be cool.

lykwydchykyn
January 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
I remember Ubuntu TV being displayed at CES 2012 and look where that went? NOWHERE. Now they are showing a Mobile Phone with Ubuntu at CES 2013, where will it go? Hopefully further then Ubuntu TV. They need OEM and Electronic manufactures to make this work, otherwise it's a pipe dream like Ubuntu TV.

To be fair, shipping Ubuntu TVs requires an OEM; shipping an OS for a phone doesn't. Obviously OEM support would help, but if nothing else the project/company has demonstrated that they can ship an OS.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to be able to turn old phone hardware into a portable ubuntu-powered device.

whatthefunk
January 2nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
To be fair, shipping Ubuntu TVs requires an OEM; shipping an OS for a phone doesn't. Obviously OEM support would help, but if nothing else the project/company has demonstrated that they can ship an OS.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to be able to turn old phone hardware into a portable ubuntu-powered device.

Getting anywhere with a phone OS requires an OEM. Your average person doesnt want to mess around with installing a new OS on their phone. With out a lot of customers the Ubuntu shop wont grow and the whole project will go nowhere.

lykwydchykyn
January 2nd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Getting anywhere with a phone OS requires an OEM. Your average person doesnt want to mess around with installing a new OS on their phone. With out a lot of customers the Ubuntu shop wont grow and the whole project will go nowhere.

Well no doubt. But they can still ship an OS, and it will be useful for us non-average persons.

Macintosh Sauce
January 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
The new Ubuntu Phone OS looks awesome in the YouTube video. I'd love to check this out after it becomes available. From what I've seen so far it looks impressive.

darrenn
January 3rd, 2013, 01:15 AM
This kind of puts me in a tough place. What am I supposed to do with all the android apps purchased?

whatthefunk
January 3rd, 2013, 01:18 AM
First wait until you can actually get one. My guess is that it will be a while.

minipot
January 3rd, 2013, 01:50 AM
I wonder if Ubuntu for smart phones is them making a move out of worry from all the reports about how PC's will soon become something only used by a niche market, so they're trying to step into the smartphone market and setup a precense before that becomes the case.

I personally see that becoming the case as I've had multiple people talk to me about how they never touch their PC anymore because their tablet/phone does it all.

If it has true multitasking I'll be won over and I think its good their announcing it now as when they do release their own smartphone they'll hopefully have a lot of apps ready for them in their market.

3rdalbum
January 3rd, 2013, 02:54 AM
As long as it has a mapping and GPS program (Google Maps via Android compatibility would be fine), and tethering, and is available unlocked and crapware-free, I'm in.

I do still think it will never become a reality. There are no OEMs yet, no interactive prototype and only some promises about what it will do.

Show us something a journalist can actually interact with. Until then, it's the usual Ubuntu vapourware. Sorry.

BTW, for those posting to the thread: It is not yet available, and it will be a preinstalled OS not one you can install on existing phones. Canonical may use a Nexus as a development phone and you may be able to install it on there, but it is not intended for end-users to install on their own phones.

Copper Bezel
January 3rd, 2013, 03:04 AM
3rdalbum, your impression is not wrong, but your facts are, a little. = ) There's a general release of the rom in February, and they've sent the current image to The Verge, who've made a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXWnMTm7We8).

I generally feel the same way - as long as it has tethering, it'll probably do for me, but I really don't anticipate there being enough support to not end up as vaporware. I don't really understand the goal just yet. I do think it's good that Ubuntu is looking to supporting Android-type hardware, but it's not really offering anything that Android isn't on a phone, and it doesn't have the app base. Ubuntu tablets (10" ones) would make much more sense at this stage.

Edit: And that notification area interaction looks damned fiddly.

tjeremiah
January 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
I need to upgrade from an LG optimus T so if there any reasonable priced and with reasonable phone companies and plans, ill get this phone to support Ubuntu.

whatthefunk
January 3rd, 2013, 05:01 AM
I need to upgrade from an LG optimus T so if there any reasonable priced and with reasonable phone companies and plans, ill get this phone to support Ubuntu.

This is a long way from being a product you find in the store.

tartalo
January 3rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
it will be a preinstalled OS not one you can install on existing phones.

Hmmm, I can't find now in http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/ the paragraph that I understood as "You will be able to download and install this on your Android-capable-device". Did I imagine it in my wishful thinking, or did they reword it to avoid confusion?

Copper Bezel
January 3rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
The only source I can find for a general release ROM is the BBC article. The Verge repeats the claim. I don't know whether either of them knows anything we don't.

Edit: And that ROM is the one we see in the The Verge review, which is only for the Galaxy Nexus, although that may or may not matter long-term (others will doubtless tweak if Ubuntu is not providing official support.)

bcschmerker
January 3rd, 2013, 06:40 AM
Fascinating, especially if United States PCS service providers jump on the Ubuntu® bandwagon; perhaps metroPCS® is already testing new smartphones that meet the hardware specs for the new smartphone OS - I still haven't a replacement for my Motorola® W840 as of 2 January 2013, and Casio® has a few potential candidate models (including one exclusive to Verizon® in factory-software form) for that replacement. Where can I find a list of smartphones, by manufacturer and model, with the Cortex® A9 X4 APU, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, &c. specified for Ubuntu® for Phones (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone)?

Mikeb85
January 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Hope some OEMs actually pick this up. Doubt they will, but one can hope. Would love to have a full Linux OS on a phone, either this or Sailfish OS.

TRPrecht
January 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
I would love to have this OS on my [or any] phone.... but vaporware until I have it in my hands.

KiwiNZ
January 3rd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I would love to have this OS on my [or any] phone.... but vaporware until I have it in my hands.

Software in development is not vaporware.

mastablasta
January 3rd, 2013, 09:47 AM
I don't know where you get the idea of "DRM-laden" and "closed" from, though, as Ubuntu is open-source and has no DRM.

they used closed source device drivers.

So with QML on the phone, and Qt5, in time GTK will be -GONE-? As will gnome?
i dont' know why they hung on gnome when the radical change was announced. they could have mdified KDE to look like unity does now if the default is not cool enough. i too find it funny they went with qt ont he phone. how does that make it same as their gtk based desktop?

Kudos to Canonical for trying to ramp up business and awareness!

that is true and it is a good thing. however a few other things bothered me -
1. applications are not made yet so when it comes out it will be essentially empty. which is ok as windows 8 RT is also more or less empty LOL.... the hting thta bothered me is when Mark was saying how you can use same apps on desktop and on phone - that is not true at all. well at leats not at the moment. plenty still won't work on arm and are not compiled for it.

2. i would like them to focus more on solving current bugs on desktop instead of these new escapades and new features. i am afraid this could also be a buggy product. plenty bugs on desktop need to be crushed for good user experience and they could work to crush plenty of them on 12.04. instead most just get confirmed and after some time since they are not solved they get "closed".

i still can't figure out why they decided to focus desktop on Gnome. Gnome 2 was great for beginners to linux and unity might be a good option as well. but they could have done a similar interface in qt and then you could really have same applicaitons for phone and for desktop (scalable or something)

KiwiNZ
January 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
There were no Apps for IOS when it was first announced, same for Android so to say it will be empty when launched is misleading.

Paddy Landau
January 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
they used closed source device drivers.
I think that you are confusing closed-source and DRM. Yes, sometimes you need closed-source drivers. So what? That is true in any OS on any system using hardware without an open-source driver. It doesn't stop you from using Ubuntu on different hardware with open-source, if you have a thing against closed-source.

There were no Apps for IOS when it was first announced, same for Android so to say it will be empty when launched is misleading.
On the other hand, iOS and Android are well-established. I think that for Ubuntu to go head-to-head with them and Microsoft without a billion-dollar advertising budget (as Microsoft has) will doom the Ubuntu phone to irrelevance.

It would have made much more sense for Canonical to move on with its Ubuntu for Android. That is a clever move, as it would get people used to Ubuntu — and then introducing Ubuntu phone would make sense (although getting apps ported to it would still be problematic).

minipot
January 3rd, 2013, 12:19 PM
Hope some OEMs actually pick this up. Doubt they will, but one can hope. Would love to have a full Linux OS on a phone, either this or Sailfish OS.

Indeed this or sailfish os as long as it isn't a resource hog (or they release powerful yet affordable phones) like any version of android from ICS up is on my phone it runs perfectly on my quad core nexus 7 but not my 1 core phone.

smellyman
January 3rd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I am a cynic by nature...

but it looks really cool. I hope it gains some traction. Doesn't have to be android or ios, but it could carve out a niche.

now time to move to KDE. :)

GnuKian
January 3rd, 2013, 12:50 PM
Notice to the picture:

http://uploadtak.com/images/b3945_gimp.png

Is it Gimp icon at the top-right corner? Is gimp running on ubuntu phone os?

sffvba[e0rt
January 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
Go big or go home... If the phone works as invisioned I think it is pretty awesome (now if someone can leak a ROM that works on my phone I would be happy) :p

Dragonbite
January 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
3rdalbum, your impression is not wrong, but your facts are, a little. = ) There's a general release of the rom in February,

So there may be a market for second-hand phones if this can be installed on them! That could bring the entry price down some.

I also want to be able to do turn-by-turn navigation.

There is quite some time between now and "release" (not just the software) to get some apps in there. Plus they are betting on HTML5 apps which is the same thing Mozilla OS is counting on and existing phones can take advantage of.

josdaw
January 3rd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Plus they are betting on HTML5 apps which is the same thing Mozilla OS is counting on and existing phones can take advantage of.

From looking at the OS, it seemed that they were putting their eggs mainly in the HTML5 basket. The one thing I'm disappointed about is that it won't run Android applications.

I do, however, want this OS on my phone and I want it now.

lads
January 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I do, however, want this OS on my phone and I want it now.

Me too mate, although I'm yet to buy a smartphone. Once this OS comes out I'll surely be taking care of that.

This was the most exciting announcement in the computer world for a number of years. When I bought my first laptop I knew I'd never buy a desktop computer again. I think I'll never buy a laptop again...

dark mavis
January 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
now this could be interesting my current contract mobile contract has a year left to run so will be phone hunting when this is launched, the big thing will be the apps mainly things like a google current style app, decent twitter/ facebook and the bbc iplayer apps and obviously angry birds

GnuKian
January 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Contact canonical and ask them your Ambiguities, then share with us: gomobile@ubuntu.com

The newest article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/why-mark-shuttleworth-thinks-ubuntu-on-phones-will-outclass-android/

Omegus
January 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM
I was worried that it would not appeal to end users. My wife is as end user as a person can be and this was her response when she saw the video. "What phone is that?! I want it, that is perfect." She is a kind of person if she likes something she tweets it g+ and tells all her friends in all her groups and sewing circles. This is already having good response in my area.

All afternoon yesterday I had 50+ people texting and calling asking how I can get them the Ubuntu phone. This is going to be amazing.

lads
January 3rd, 2013, 05:21 PM
My first question would be if the superphone mode runs on a Galaxy Note I. It has both the memory and storage needed, but it has only 2 cores, not the required 4. I hope that Canonical releases a list of compatible hardware along with the code.

Paddy Landau
January 3rd, 2013, 05:27 PM
All afternoon yesterday I had 50+ people texting and calling asking how I can get them the Ubuntu phone. This is going to be amazing.
That is funny, in a nice way!

I hope that Canonical releases a list of compatible hardware along with the code.
Canonical has posted the Ubuntu phone's hardware requirements (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems). Check it against your Galaxy Note 1.

Dragonbite
January 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I was worried that it would not appeal to end users. My wife is as end user as a person can be and this was her response when she saw the video. "What phone is that?! I want it, that is perfect." She is a kind of person if she likes something she tweets it g+ and tells all her friends in all her groups and sewing circles. This is already having good response in my area.

Great to hear! A lot is going to deal with how it "looks and feels" in our household. At least with my wife, but she's an artist so I can't say anything.

I see the desktop convergence (plugging the phone into a cradle for the keyboard/mouse/monitor) and I think that is a great idea but it needs to be more generic! They need the cradle to just have ports that you can plug any keyboard, monitor and mouse into it. The original design, IIRC, was too phone-specific.

lads
January 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Check it against your Galaxy Note 1.

I've checked, memory and storage is ok, CPU I don't know.

TRPrecht
January 3rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Software in development is not vaporware.
Yeah, perhaps I used the wrong term there. Perhaps pipe dream would be a better term?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Ubuntu phone OS, I want it and want it yesterday. In fact Tizen and Ubuntu for phones are what I expected when I first heard the concept of Android. I just hope that the hype doesn't get worn out before the development process finishes, or before good partners can jump on board.

I also hope that it will be readily available in the US market on a handset and with a carrier within a reasonable time frame. I think the originally stated time frame for launch was late Q4 13 to Q1 14, more likely meaning late Q1 14, which is still reasonable, but pushing the limits.

As much as I want this, it truly is a pipe-dream -an unattainable or fanciful hope- until I can get my hands on it.

KiwiNZ
January 3rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah, perhaps I used the wrong term there. Perhaps pipe dream would be a better term?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Ubuntu phone OS, I want it and want it yesterday. In fact Tizen and Ubuntu for phones are what I expected when I first heard the concept of Android. I just hope that the hype doesn't get worn out before the development process finishes, or before good partners can jump on board.

I also hope that it will be readily available in the US market on a handset and with a carrier within a reasonable time frame. I think the originally stated time frame for launch was late Q4 13 to Q1 14, more likely meaning late Q1 14, which is still reasonable, but pushing the limits.

As much as I want this, it truly is a pipe-dream -an unattainable or fanciful hope- until I can get my hands on it.

Instead of calling it a pipe dream or unattainable you could help make it happen, not everything in life is simply handed out, some things require some effort.

rg4w
January 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Instead of calling it a pipe dream or unattainable you could help make it happen, not everything in life is simply handed out, some things require some effort.
That's good advice for life in general, and especially appropriate in the FOSS world.

houseworkshy
January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
It looks very nice for phones which have enough RAM and a ghz or more of speed. See http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/operators-and-oems
In a few years this could do quite well especially if compatable with android app's.

whatthefunk
January 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM

Any advice concerning how ordinary users can help make Ubuntu cell phones happen?

Paddy Landau
January 3rd, 2013, 08:40 PM
Any advice concerning how ordinary users can help make Ubuntu cell phones happen?
Raise hype by tweeting, emailing and "Facebooking" the marketing video. I guess. :-k

If the OEM's see plenty of interest, they'll be more interested.

I don't suppose we can offer to be testers with second-hand Android phones?

KiwiNZ
January 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM

One way is by not knocking it or posting FUD a day after announcement as I have already seen on these Forums.

Remember the outrage in the Open source community about FUD form other OS groups? well the OSS members are very good at spreading FUD about themselves.

irv
January 3rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
I spent most of the morning reading all the posts on this thead while trying to install Ubuntu for Android on a Asus Transformer 10" Tablet. Believe it or not I finial got it to install.
Screen shot from Asus Transformer 10" Tablet.
As you can see it is xfce desktop. Even though I got it installed it has so many bugs in it it is hard to use it. It is a work in progress. I hope the phone OS is better.
I have a lot to say about Ubuntu and the phone but I will save it for another post.
I wanted to post this because another posters mentioned it would be nice to have Ubuntu running on a 10" table, and I agree.

EDIT: I meant to say, why would anyone make Ubuntu for Android with xfce and not Unity. I thought Unity would be a better choice for a tablet or phone.

Tiler
January 3rd, 2013, 09:21 PM
Have we figured out what phone that was in the promo or was that just video magic?

What I like about the phone is how intuitive it seems but my biggest hope for the phone is that it remains as customizable as regular Ubuntu.

I've always said the only time I'd ever get an ipad would be as an exit strategy for my iphone and now it seems I may have to make good on that; thankfully!

tranfunzl
January 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
The Nexus 4 has only 16 gb of storage, as opposed to the 32 gb needed to use it as a "superphone". What I am wondering is: Is this really an obstacle or is it a requirement for manufacturers only, to construct phones that run ubuntu out of the box? ubuntu is Open-Source, so the desktop convergence mode should work on the nexus 4 too, shouldn't it? I don't think that ubuntu really needs 32 gb of storage.

Paddy Landau
January 3rd, 2013, 10:07 PM
… why would anyone make Ubuntu for Android with xfce and not Unity.
Weird. Are you sure you have the latest version?

Have we figured out what phone that was in the promo or was that just video magic?
It must be real (perhaps enhanced), because Canonical is promising to show the phone in February, if I remember correctly.

The Nexus 4 has only 16 gb of storage, as opposed to the 32 gb needed to use it as a "superphone". What I am wondering is: Is this really an obstacle or is it a requirement for manufacturers only…
I would guess that with desktop convergence, it is needed for reasonable speed. You can but try; if it doesn't work or if it is too slow, downgrade to the entry level.

Cheesemill
January 3rd, 2013, 10:28 PM
If I can run conky on the home screen then it's a winner :)

Tiler
January 3rd, 2013, 10:34 PM
If I can run conky on the home screen then it's a winner :)

I was originally going to say that I couldn't wait for the threads of conky bragging! ;)

neu5eeCh
January 4th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Not exactly vaporware. More like vaporhardware.

That said: If it's around on the day I decide to buy one of these phones, I'll be looking for it. I love Ubuntu and love what it stands for. I wish it success.

fontis
January 4th, 2013, 05:24 AM

From what I see it's a Galaxy Nexus. But it's laggy as <snip> right now on it anyway.

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 05:30 AM
From what I see it's a Galaxy Nexus. But it's laggy as f*ck right now on it anyway.

Give it a break It's pre Alpha more like a proof of concept right now.

Darksthour
January 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Wow all I can say reading through all of this is it seems no one's excited about this new OS and just wants to take it down a peg. It's A new idea, something different from android and iOS. I'm personally looking forward to this 100%. Also I think that if everything is done right (and I think so far it is) this could really be a new option.

Think about it, what's the problem with new mobile operating systems? A lack of new apps I think is the first problem that comes to my mind. However they figured out a way to make all the apps for Ubuntu desktop work for the new OS through Ubuntu's software center. Not to mention this being Linux based along with Android and installable over android if you have an Android device who's to say all Android apks can't easily be (or wait for someone with the knowledge) ported over. Genius!

Secondly I think would probably be a lack of niche features. If you disagree try to convince a 13 year old android is no different that iOS or vice versa. Both have defining features but really when it comes down to it they both do the same thing. With the plug your phone into a dock and there's your PC feature that opens up an incredible world of possibilities. Tell the student who takes a note down on their phone and when back to the dorm room to write an essay doesn't have to copy anything just plug your phone in and there's your computer. Any file you need while at home you don't have to move between devices just work on it at home then take it with you when you unplug your phone. I can't see them not pushing this feature to its fullest to attract new people who cant even pronounce "ubuntu".

And that's what brings me back to my first point. They have to do a good job selling it when it comes out. And I don't mean sales numbers. I mean convincing people this is a great alternative to whats available. This has some great potential. Just look at what it is now. As an example Android's beginnings were unpolished, looked terrible and didn't really run that great and had no apps compared to iOS. However google did a great job refining and getting it out into the world that now androids a huge name. If anything as the non-average user I'm just excited to see something come out that I'm really looking forward to and who knows...maybe one day I can be cool and say I used ubuntu phone before it was cool.

fontis
January 4th, 2013, 08:06 AM
This is such a dumb move.
If you place the fanboy'ism aside. There is absolutely no logic whatsoever for Canonical to dive into this market.
First of all, they should focus their attention on what they are trying to accomplish to begin with re: Ubuntu on the desktop. The TV expansion I can understand because nobody else is "really" doing anything next level on that platform so they have the space to grow uninhibited by competition.

But Ubuntu as a fully fledged phone OS?
It's a complete waste of manpower and resources because even at best they will have a user base of some obscure number of hardcore fans and that's about it.
The reason why Android is so successful, and MANAGED to be so successful is because of tedious amounts of time and resources spent to refine Android and to gather interest from developers so they expand out of the iOS market.

The fact that Android is shipped by so many OEM's is another reason to it's success along with the fact that even though each OEM can fiddle with the shell, the core is the same - which allows for interoperability between the devices and the applications that are offered on the Play Store.

It took Android a good while before the amount of available apps reached the levels that iOS held, and even now it's an ongoing fight between the two platforms.

Are you telling me, that launching a brand new OS into this already fierce eco-system, excluding all the apps developed and what not - is a good idea?

As someone else mentioned, Microsoft with all it's might and money has tried for so long to get a foot in and they aren't even close. Nokia nearly went bankrupt trying. And Nokia is a much bigger company than Canonical with far greater experience and resources available.

Ubuntu for Android is one thing, but a fully fledged Ubuntu Phone OS is just a crazy undertaking. Especially since they don't even plan on doing their own devices. There is 0 sentiment for any of the Open Handset Alliance members to ditch Android and jump on this bandwagon.

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM

If you place the fanboy'ism aside. There is absolutely no logic whatsoever for Canonical to dive into this market.
First of all, they should focus their attention on what they are trying to accomplish to begin with re: Ubuntu on the desktop. The TV expansion I can understand because nobody else is "really" doing anything next level on that platform so they have the space to grow uninhibited by competition.

It's a complete waste of manpower and resources because even at best they will have a user base of some obscure number of hardcore fans and that's about it.
The reason why Android is so successful, and MANAGED to be so successful is because of tedious amounts of time and resources spent to refine Android and to gather interest from developers so they expand out of the iOS market.

The fact that Android is shipped by so many OEM's is another reason to it's success along with the fact that even though each OEM can fiddle with the shell, the core is the same - which allows for interoperability between the devices and the applications that are offered on the Play Store.

It took Android a good while before the amount of available apps reached the levels that iOS held, and even now it's an ongoing fight between the two platforms.

Are you telling me, that launching a brand new OS into this already fierce eco-system, excluding all the apps developed and what not - is a good idea?

As someone else mentioned, Microsoft with all it's might and money has tried for so long to get a foot in and they aren't even close. Nokia nearly went bankrupt trying. And Nokia is a much bigger company than Canonical with far greater experience and resources available.

Ubuntu for Android is one thing, but a fully fledged Ubuntu Phone OS is just a crazy undertaking. Especially since they don't even plan on doing their own devices. There is 0 sentiment for any of the Open Handset Alliance members to ditch Android and jump on this bandwagon.

So you suggest that no one try and we should accept the duopoly.Thankfully we have free thinkers in the world and why we don't just have Ford and Benz cars only Philips TVs etc etc

pompel9
January 4th, 2013, 08:42 AM

They don't have to ditch android. They can make one or two models with ubuntu, and test the market. If it is a success, then they can expand.
I personally hope that huawei will jump on board with ubuntu. They make good phones at reasonable prices.

Nokia is not bankrupt, they have lost sale because of microsoft. And they are firing a lot of their workforce. Just googled about nokia, nokia is not bankrupt. Even though many predicts it's doom.

Are really 20 million an obscure number? That is the official numbers of people that have Ubuntu installed on their computers.

Android has done a good job, but the app market is filled with heavy ads apps. They have just recently decided to clean up, and make some rules for what a app can do. This is not good, so when Ubuntu OS is available then I will switch over.
And android doesn't care about linux. They use it only as a core. There are no android phone software that works on any linux desktops, only windows and mac.

fontis
January 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM
So you suggest that no one try and we should accept the duopoly.Thankfully we have free thinkers in the world and why we don't just have Ford and Benz cars only Philips TVs etc etc

Err... what duopoly? Android is open source. If they want they can very well contribute to it. Nobody is stopping them.
And even so, I'm not saying you should accept anything. I'm trying to be a bit realistic. Re-read my post..

Nokia is not bankrupt, they have lost sale because of microsoft. And they are firing a lot of their workforce. Just googled about nokia, nokia is not bankrupt. Even though many predicts it's doom.

I said

Nokia nearly went bankrupt trying. And Nokia is a much bigger company than Canonical with far greater experience and resources available.

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Err... what duopoly? Android is open source. If they want they can very well contribute to it. Nobody is stopping them.
And even so, I'm not saying you should accept anything. I'm trying to be a bit realistic. Re-read my post..

I said

Duopoly Apple/Android

lads
January 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM

According to the comments in the video, the one that The Verge got is a Galaxy Nexus.

Futant
January 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I think this looks lovely, and am well up for giving it a try. Dunno whether it will manage to 'conquer the market' but time will tell. It's good to try new things, even if they don't work out you will at least learn something! I am however, slightly confused about the 'welcome' screen - Mark Shuttleworth in the video mentions that it is not a 'lock' screen, but that the phone is secure anyway. From the video it doesn't look secure at all - looks like anyone could pick it up and use it? Surely this can't be the case?

dannyboy79
January 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I wish I could see a real version at CES 2013 but I am not going this year like I did last year and saw Ubuntu TV

fugazi32
January 4th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Will this work on HTC phones or just Samsung ones?

haqking
January 4th, 2013, 02:16 PM

sffvba[e0rt
January 4th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Also from some of the interviews with Mark he mentions that they are hopeful that the community will jump in and start running with this (the custom ROM scene to bring newer Android versions to some handsets are alive and kicking).

Dragonbite
January 4th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Not too long ago there was an article talking about how computers with Ubuntu pre-installed are more popular outside of the USA. I have also heard that mobile phones are used in a greater capacity outside of the USA in maybe Europe and Asia.

I don't know if this is true or not, being in the USA.

So I wonder, is this something that may have a greater opportunity in some places of the world over other places? Could this be a bigger deal in Asia or Europe or Africa or South America than in North America?

If this is a feasible concept, that may explain some of Ubuntu's move into the mobile market where the adoption curve may be slightly less than in the USA or some other places?

haqking
January 4th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Not too long ago there was an article talking about how computers with Ubuntu pre-installed are more popular outside of the USA. I have also heard that mobile phones are used in a greater capacity outside of the USA in maybe Europe and Asia.

So I wonder, is this something that may have a greater opportunity in some places of the world over other places? Could this be a bigger deal in Asia or Europe or Africa or South America than in North America?

If this is a feasible concept, that may explain some of Ubuntu's move into the mobile market where the adoption curve may be slightly less than in the USA or some other places?

I don't know if it is true but it wouldn't surprise me, based purely on experience, when i lived in the USA for 4 years i found the cell/mobile service ridiculous. Especially AT&T, things like being charged to receive a text or your minutes being used for receiving a call, I know it depends on plan but i never found a good one.

I find European plans and providers much more accommodating, cheaper and generally better QOS.

Peace

Paddy Landau
January 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Possibly. I live in the UK, and Canonical is UK-based. Everyone, even kids, have mobile phones here. I agree with haqking; Europeans find the American mobile plans weird.

sffvba[e0rt
January 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Have a look at this poll http://gopollgo.com/will-ubuntu-for-phones-succeed

edit: earlier today the poll showed that north america voted more no while the rest of the world that voted was voting more yes (oh, NZ was also no, go figure)

Dr. C
January 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM

I could not disagree more. What Ubuntu phone OS does is take the smartphone mobile platform to the next level by having a docked Ubuntu phone become a full fledged desktop. This is a truly revolutionary technology that is not available in IOS or stand alone Android.

Ubuntu phone OS will allow much greater customization by both the OEM and more importantly the end user. That been said the Ubuntu phone OS interface is extremely well designed form the users perspective. The result is that this Ubuntu phone OS will have very strong appeal to both hard core geeks and technophobes alike.

It is an excellent idea if one brings the smartphone to a whole new level which Ubuntu phone OS does. As for running Android apps on Ubuntu phone OS this will happen. Android is FLOSS so a modified Android for Ubuntu will happpen. In fact this has already been done even on Meego http://www.allboutn9.info/2012/06/openmobiles-acl-for-meego-harmattan.html
As for IOS apps it is possible technically but not legally because of how IOS is licensed by Apple. The analogy here is running another GNU/Linux distribution on Ubuntu where the FLOSS guest has been tweaked to optimize its performance in the virtual machine vs running a virtualized hackintosh on Ubuntu.

Microsoft has very much the right idea with Windows 8 in aiming for a unified platform between mobile and desktop, but is seriously hampered by the massive amount of third party propriety software and drivers for x86/AMD64 that is cannot port to ARM. Canonical does not have this problem because the vast majority of the Ubuntu software and driver ecosystem is FLOSS and is only a recompile away from ARM.

I would not be surprised at all if feedback from Open Handset Alliance members over Ubuntu for Android influenced the development of Ubuntu phone OS. This is not crazy, it is actually a brilliant move by Canonical.

Omegus
January 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM
@DR.C I just hope that Canonical does not forget the desktop and everything that is being accomplished so far in 2012. Aside to that concern I am very excited to download the image a show people the Is it self.

fontis
January 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I could not disagree more. What Ubuntu phone OS does is take the smartphone mobile platform to the next level by having a docked Ubuntu phone become a full fledged desktop. This is a truly revolutionary technology that is not available in IOS or stand alone Android.

Ubuntu phone OS will allow much greater customization by both the OEM and more importantly the end user. That been said the Ubuntu phone OS interface is extremely well designed form the users perspective. The result is that this Ubuntu phone OS will have very strong appeal to both hard core geeks and technophobes alike.

It is an excellent idea if one brings the smartphone to a whole new level which Ubuntu phone OS does. As for running Android apps on Ubuntu phone OS this will happen. Android is FLOSS so a modified Android for Ubuntu will happpen. In fact this has already been done even on Meego http://www.allboutn9.info/2012/06/openmobiles-acl-for-meego-harmattan.html
As for IOS apps it is possible technically but not legally because of how IOS is licensed by Apple. The analogy here is running another GNU/Linux distribution on Ubuntu where the FLOSS guest has been tweaked to optimize its performance in the virtual machine vs running a virtualized hackintosh on Ubuntu.

Microsoft has very much the right idea with Windows 8 in aiming for a unified platform between mobile and desktop, but is seriously hampered by the massive amount of third party propriety software and drivers for x86/AMD64 that is cannot port to ARM. Canonical does not have this problem because the vast majority of the Ubuntu software and driver ecosystem is FLOSS and is only a recompile away from ARM.

I would not be surprised at all if feedback from Open Handset Alliance members over Ubuntu for Android influenced the development of Ubuntu phone OS. This is not crazy, it is actually a brilliant move by Canonical.

First of all, mate, I really enjoyed reading your reply. Because you took the time to understand me, and then your reply was based on what I said yet you argued your cause flawlessly. ):P

Now back to the point, I agree with you regarding the fact that it would offer something not already being offered (the Docking2Desktop mode), however that alone is not something I think is too central on what you can build the rest of it around. The level of optimization needed to not have that experience be laggy as hell is just not there. Why? Because the actual Ubuntu releases are far from optimized, and that's on fully supported hardware in the modern age. I don't see how putting that into a somewhat closed environment in terms of level of optimization vis a vis hardware/software balance will produce anything worthwile?

The perfect analogy would be perhaps... you could use a lawnmower to drive from the east coast to the west coast... but it's not going to be any good or fast as a mode of transportation now is it :D (My point being, just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do.)

I really do stand by my previous point in which I think they should not let their reach exceed their grasp.
I mean, to put it in another way, I'd rather be the best at one thing, than mediocre/crap/lackluster at a bunch of things.
And honestly? Ubuntu isn't the best at anything right now...
That's why I think with the limited resources they have, they should have their goals set on smaller things which they work to perfect. Once done, you can always decide to reach out elsewhere. Otherwise you're just scattering money and time around without getting anywhere.

Dr. C
January 4th, 2013, 06:38 PM
@DR.C I just hope that Canonical does not forget the desktop and everything that is being accomplished so far in 2012. Aside to that concern I am very excited to download the image a show people the Is it self.

I recognize this is very hard to fathom, but the Ubuntu desktop is not been forgotten at all. What will happen is that it will run with all of its glory on a docked smartphone!

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 06:40 PM
First of all, mate, I really enjoyed reading your reply. Because you took the time to understand me, and then your reply was based on what I said yet you argued your cause flawlessly. ):P

Now back to the point, I agree with you regarding the fact that it would offer something not already being offered (the Docking2Desktop mode), however that alone is not something I think is too central on what you can build the rest of it around. The level of optimization needed to not have that experience be laggy as hell is just not there. Why? Because the actual Ubuntu releases are far from optimized, and that's on fully supported hardware in the modern age. I don't see how putting that into a somewhat closed environment in terms of level of optimization vis a vis hardware/software balance will produce anything worthwile?

The perfect analogy would be perhaps... you could use a lawnmower to drive from the east coast to the west coast... but it's not going to be any good or fast as a mode of transportation now is it :D (My point being, just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing to do.)

I really do stand by my previous point in which I think they should not let their reach exceed their grasp.
I mean, to put it in another way, I'd rather be the best at one thing, than mediocre/crap/lackluster at a bunch of things.
That's why I think with the limited resources they have, they should have their goals set on smaller things which they work to perfect. Once done, you can always decide to reach out elsewhere. Otherwise you're just scattering money and time around without getting anywhere.

I completely disagree, if company is not going forward it is dying.Your position is FUD.

I believe this move by Canonical is exciting and has the opportunity to break the anti competitive Apple/Google duopoly and lift the profile and acceptance of Ubuntu and Linux as a commercially viable product.

nothingspecial
January 4th, 2013, 07:21 PM

It's doing pretty well at getting talked about right now....

fontis
January 4th, 2013, 07:59 PM
It's doing pretty well at getting talked about right now....

So is the warp-drive, but I don't see it working... :guitar:

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM

then don't use the ubuntu products, they are not compulsory, but don't spread FUD about them on these Forums.

We will not let this turn into a repeat of the endless moaning that we experienced with Unity, the buttons change etc etc etc

Omegus
January 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM

Lol that is pretty funny, but it all depends to how much the community helps out. Yes we aren't getting paid for it, but for me I feel great knowing that I helped made it happen. But that is the mentality I developed in the military.

@KiwiNZ Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree that no one is forcing anyone to use unity. I love unity, some don't. That what I love about Linux , you don't like the UI change it. I find the major problem is that we focus to much on how like and dislike instead of enjoying the world wants more Linux regardless of UI or distro. We as a community are making head way.

nothingspecial
January 4th, 2013, 09:04 PM

That is a poor analogy, amusing though I suppose. The fact is people are talking about Ubuntu, even in places they haven't before. Certainly in the UK, for example the Telegraph newspaper.

The difference is they are talking about it seriously. This was unthinkable 5 years ago. Ubuntu is doing something well and that is getting linux and foss talked about.

Whether or not I or anyone thinks Ubuntu is doing anything else or everything else well is for a different thread.

Dragonbite
January 4th, 2013, 09:50 PM

Linux has made it very well in the mobile market, but not as "Linux", rather as "Android".

So long as it works, feels good and offers what people want and more then the average person would be willing to use ANYTHING ("dog poop-powered cell phone? does it come with cool ring tones?") :lolflag:

This has the opportunity to broaden Ubuntu's recognition to outside the niche of being a "cool, for a LINUX computer" to something people can use without having to know what Ubuntu really is.

They just want a phone that does what they want and whether it is "free" as in freedom, or open or proprietary or made by pygmies, most people honestly don't care.

So this may reach a mass of people (eventually), and then comes the conversation "You know, the people who put out the Ubuntu phone has a complete operating system and applications you can use..." and the influence spreads.

KiwiNZ
January 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Lol that is pretty funny, but it all depends to how much the community helps out. Yes we aren't getting paid for it, but for me I feel great knowing that I helped made it happen. But that is the mentality I developed in the military.

@KiwiNZ Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree that no one is forcing anyone to use unity. I love unity, some don't. That what I love about Linux , you don't like the UI change it. I find the major problem is that we focus to much on how like and dislike instead of enjoying the world wants more Linux regardless of UI or distro. We as a community are making head way.

We are not going to allow the naysayers to hi-jack or dominate threads as they have with Unity, Button change or just about every change Ubuntu/Canonical/Forums make. It got to the ridiculous point with Unity where just about every thread concerning Unity was taken over, that is not fair for all other Forum users that a smal minority do this so we will moderate these Forums accordingly..

dannyboy79
January 4th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Ubuntu isn't the best at anything right now...

On the contrary there are approximately 20 million Desktop PC's that run Ubuntu today according to Mark's recent virtual keynote speech. If you don't think Ubuntu on the Mobile platform will work, sure you're entitled to your opinion but I don't think bashing it on the Ubuntu Forums is going to help you or Ubuntu in any way so you may as well take your negativities elsewhere as I don't think they are welcome.

moocow1452
January 4th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I like the OS functionally, but hardware is EVERYTHING in the mobilescape, and I really don't see anyone wanting to toss their hat into this one if the Game of Patents continues into the new year. Ubuntu has dealt with this stuff before, but never with a hardware company playing proxy war.

That being said, if it can roll at the speed it does on the GNex, I'd use it. I have no idea how the ecosystem would balance ARM and x86 apps, especially if they want as seamless a transition as possible, but I trust they can get something figured out through cloud sync, and/or super docks. (ARM device docked in an x86 form factor ?)

Dr. C
January 5th, 2013, 02:19 AM
Here is an article in Forbes that identifies why Ubuntu phone OS is so revolutionary in very simple terms. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/01/04/is-ubuntu-about-to-create-the-phone-and-pc-of-my-dreams/

TRPrecht
January 5th, 2013, 05:44 AM

No FUD involved. Well, perhaps some fear of uncertainty if it will be as successful as I hope it will be. Out side of this forum, I am getting the word out about this amazing concept via Twitter, G+, FaceBook, email and forums, trying to get other excited about it and to convince hardware vendors and carriers to pick it up as the last three carriers Ive had have a hard time getting decent stuff and I think this would destroy the competition on T-Mobile and regional markets.

Sometimes I think written communication is lacking quite often. I was trying to convey the thought that despite the LONG road a head, and the fact that at this moment, it IS unattainable as in I cannot download code at this second, that I want this to come to frustration.

Once I can get my hands on it, I will wipe my phone and load it so I can show it off to as many people as I can, again so that we can get some decent handsets with it.

BUT until then, and I think this is what made people over react with the way I started off, I will be a bit sad/uncertain...until i can get my hands on it.
I sort of thought that was how it was going to be perceived on a forum dedicated to believers in Ubuntu... :-?

Europeans find the American mobile plans weird.
Americans find American mobile plans weird.

malspa
January 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Here is an article in Forbes that identifies why Ubuntu phone OS is so revolutionary in very simple terms. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/01/04/is-ubuntu-about-to-create-the-phone-and-pc-of-my-dreams/

That sounds great!

stinkeye
January 5th, 2013, 10:26 PM
then don't use the ubuntu products, they are not compulsory, but don't spread FUD about them on these Forums.

We will not let this turn into a repeat of the endless moaning that we experienced with Unity, the buttons change etc etc etc
I don't see it as "FUD". It's an expression of his opinion.
The moaning about unity was tiresome when it infiltrated threads not specifically about unity.
Is this not a thread to discuss the Ubuntu phone OS?
Please moderate and not dictate.

nothingspecial
January 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM
The moaning about unity was tiresome when it infiltrated threads not specifically about unity.

Funny you should say that.

Because moaning about what you are moaning about has nothing to do with the thread.

cariboo
January 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Could we please get this thread back on topic, if not, you all know what will happen.

stinkeye
January 5th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Funny you should say that.

Because moaning about what you are moaning about has nothing to do with the thread.

Ditto.

malspa
January 5th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I don't see it as "FUD". It's an expression of his opinion.
Is this not a thread to discuss the Ubuntu phone OS?
Please moderate and not dictate.

I agree with stinkeye.

Pardon my ignorance, but would this be the first phone that this can be done with? The idea of of being able to "boot the desktop variant of Ubuntu when docked to a keyboard, mouse and monitor" sounds really good to me.

deadflowr
January 5th, 2013, 10:56 PM
If the stars align and they get a few Ubuntu phones out by 14.04, I'll strongly consider getting one.
Of course the alignment of the stars would be a local carrier, which I don't hate using, having one, among other smaller factors.

I like Ubuntu, and don't mind showing my support.

malspa
January 5th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Can't wait to see how it plays out. Very exciting. I probably wouldn't be able to afford something like this anytime soon (or, I might not be willing to dish out whatever it costs), but 5 years down the road, who knows?

tartalo
January 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but would this be the first phone that this can be done with? The idea of of being able to "boot the desktop variant of Ubuntu when docked to a keyboard, mouse and monitor" sounds really good to me.

There have been previous attempts, although they didn't have the same exact approach, as some analysts that legitimately express doubts about whether Canonical will succeed in this quest remind us:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/02/technology/mobile/ubuntu-smartphone-linux/

That would let you literally use your phone to power your PC.

This concept isn't entirely new, as Canonical revealed similar plans last year to attach its desktop software to devices running Android. Before that, Motorola tried to turn Android phones into laptops with its Atrix line of phones and docks. And let's not forget the hybrid operating system experiment that is Windows 8.

But no one -- not even Microsoft (MSFT, Fortune 500) -- has attempted to serve up its own phone OS and desktop OS in a single package. Despite its desktop-like features, Android considers itself a phone and tablet system, while Microsoft still has Windows Phone 8 operating autonomously from the tablet and desktop-centric Windows 8.

malspa
January 5th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that post and that link, tartalo. Interesting stuff!

Dr. C
January 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM
There have been previous attempts, although they didn't have the same exact approach, as some analysts that legitimately express doubts about whether Canonical will succeed in this quest remind us:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/02/technology/mobile/ubuntu-smartphone-linux/

The advantage that Canonical has over Microsoft is that Canonical has access to the source code of virtually all the third party software that runs on the Ubuntu desktop while Microsoft does not have access to the source code to a vast proportion of the third party software that runs on the Windows desktop. Canonical can simply recompile all of the x86/AMD64 third party FLOSS on Ubuntu for ARM while Microsoft cannot do likewise with the x86/AMD64 third party propriety software on Windows. Apple is in essentially the same boat as Microsoft here.

This critical difference between FLOSS and propriety software when moving between x86/AMD64 and ARM is what the analysts are missing.

mr john
January 6th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Microsoft has the same access to open source code as we all do.

KiwiNZ
January 6th, 2013, 01:12 AM
With ubuntu phone OS there is the opportunity for ubuntu to offer a complete ecosystem, Server, Desktop and mobile. Whilst Google can offer mobility it does not offer infrastructure to the same level and ChromeOS is not a complete desktop platform.

Apple offer Desktop mobile but Server to a much lesser extent, so their ecosystem is not as complete.

MSFT does offer a very good Desktop, Server to a point and mobile is fledgling so their ecosystem is incomplete but developing ahead of ubuntu.

If the community can show they are behind Canonicals venture then the OEM's will show interest they will not show interest if they see that the community is not behind it. For the first time there is an opportunity to show a complete product line to the public, enterprises and OEM's. This is an exciting development and one that is of greater potential than we have seen in open source for a very long time and the opportunity to really have a shot at breaking the Google/Apple duopoly.

Dr. C
January 6th, 2013, 02:05 AM
With ubuntu phone OS there is the opportunity for ubuntu to offer a complete ecosystem, Server, Desktop and mobile. Whilst Google can offer mobility it does not offer infrastructure to the same level and ChromeOS is not a complete desktop platform.

Apple offer Desktop mobile but Server to a much lesser extent, so their ecosystem is not as complete.

MSFT does offer a very good Desktop, Server to a point and mobile is fledgling so their ecosystem is incomplete but developing ahead of ubuntu.

If the community can show they are behind Canonicals venture then the OEM's will show interest they will not show interest if they see that the community is not behind it. For the first time there is an opportunity to show a complete product line to the public, enterprises and OEM's. This is an exciting development and one that is of greater potential than we have seen in open source for a very long time and the opportunity to really have a shot at breaking the Google/Apple duopoly.

+1

Microsoft has the same access to open source code as we all do. They do but that is not the direction Microsoft is heading with Windows 8. What they are doing is focusing on building a propriety application ecosystem on ARM with Windows 8 RT. As more and more Windows applications are ported to the Windows Modern UI the difference between the desktop and mobile Windows experience will narrow considerably and the advantage that Canonical currently enjoys because of this will wither away. The bottom line Microsoft is not standing still here neither for that matter are Apple or Google.

It is very important the community stand behind Canonical on this venture now because this opportunity is not going to be there for ever.

Dragonbite
January 6th, 2013, 05:27 AM

Maybe so, but not to Adobe and proprietary systems. Those 3rd party companies need to be convinced it is worth spending resources on their latest ventures.

robert shearer
January 6th, 2013, 05:29 AM
<snip>

If the community can show they are behind Canonicals venture then the OEM's will show interest they will not show interest if they see that the community is not behind it. <snip>

QED ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101731

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101848

mr john
January 6th, 2013, 05:47 AM
With ubuntu phone OS there is the opportunity for ubuntu to offer a complete ecosystem, Server, Desktop and mobile.

I agree, but while Ubuntu is relatively complete on the the Sever and Desktop, they are still very weak on the mobile platform.

Microsoft has a complete suite on all those platforms. Still, it's pretty impressive for a small company like Canonical to be able to stand up to the big three (Google, Microsoft, Apple). I'm sure if they saw Ubuntu as a real threat the lawsuits will begin. Nearly everything to do with phones and tablets is patented.

Competing against those companies might be opening a can of worms if they all decide to sue Canonical.

Dragonbite
January 6th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I agree, but while Ubuntu is relatively complete on the the Sever and Desktop, they are still very weak on the mobile platform.

Microsoft has a complete suite on all those platforms. Still, it's pretty impressive for a small company like Canonical to be able to stand up to the big three (Google, Microsoft, Apple). I'm sure if they saw Ubuntu as a real threat the lawsuits will begin. Nearly everything to do with phones and tablets is patented.

Competing against those companies might be opening a can of worms if they all decide to sue Canonical.

Of course Ubuntu is relatively complete on the Server and Desktop and weak on the mobile platform.. they haven't released anything yet! :lolflag:

Microsoft has a similar view of a homogeneous OS across platforms than it looks like Ubuntu is pursuing, but is further along after spending more time and money on the issue.

It is possible that Google may be an ally in guarding against the patent trolls, but the big defense is the GPL and having everything "out in the open" (to a greater degree, though only time will tell how open all of the pieces are).

Dr. C
January 6th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Microsoft has a similar view of a homogeneous OS across platforms than it looks like Ubuntu is pursuing, but is further along after spending more time and money on the issue.

Actually it is not further along but only because of the third party propriety code, and not for long.

Dragonbite
January 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Actually it is not further along but only because of the third party propriety code, and not for long.

:confused:

too many negatives... are you saying they are "not further along" or they ARE because "of third party propriet(ar)y code" or that they are not so far along because of proprietary code but that is "not for long" (meaning they will move ahead quickly)?

Dr. C
January 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I will clarify. Microsoft is way behind Canonical in creating a homogeneous OS across all platforms, because the Windows experience is so dependent upon third party proprietary code. In time as more proprietary software vendors migrate their Windows applications to ARM and the Windows 8 Modern UI Microsoft will get closer and closer to its goal.

Paddy Landau
January 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM
From Microsoft's point of view, FLOSS is a serious competitor. I think that Steve Ballmer summed up the attitude when he called Linux a "cancer".

So, although MS has access to FLOSS, it does not want to encourage it. Remember that MS makes money from lock-in, not from openness. This has been true of other companies, notably Apple and (in the past) IBM.

bcschmerker
January 6th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I previously asked about the hardware availability for Ubuntu® for Phones:

...Where can I find a list of smartphones, by manufacturer and model, with the Cortex® A9 X4 APU, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, &c. specified for Ubuntu® for Phones (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone)?After reading the article at Forbes® on the progress of Ubuntu® for Phones as of 4 January 2013 (http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/01/04/is-ubuntu-about-to-create-the-phone-and-pc-of-my-dreams/), it appears that Motorola® is taking a hardware approach along the lines suggested in other Posts this Thread, as the company already has at least one dockable smartphone, specifically the MB886 ATRIX HD (http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/MOTOROLA-ATRIX-HD/MB886-ATRIX-HD,en_US,pd.html) (Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ X2 APU,1 GB RAM, 8 GB SSD), which already runs Google® Android™ 4.1 from the factory on supporting PCS service providers and may already be compatible with Ubuntu® for Android™. I'm after something yet hardier with more capability, based on the published requirements for Ubuntu® for Phones; is my requested list from Post 12435327 available yet?

moocow1452
January 7th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Hang on...

I know that a lot of Ubuntu's Bread and Butter is FLOSS friendly software, which could make for something that could work on x86 or ARM, but what about the HIB games and the like we only just got on to the platform? Would there be an easy recompilation method for paid for software, with the only real benefit being the community holding asses over fires?

cariboo
January 7th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Hang on...

I know that a lot of Ubuntu's Bread and Butter is FLOSS friendly software, which could make for something that could work on x86 or ARM, but what about the HIB games and the like we only just got on to the platform? Would there be an easy recompilation method for paid for software, with the only real benefit being the community holding asses over fires?

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about, I assume it has something to do with Humble Bundle games, I'd suggest you come back in a year, when there actually is a working version on a smart phone and ask your question again.

Dragonbite
January 7th, 2013, 02:36 AM
From Microsoft's point of view, FLOSS is a serious competitor. I think that Steve Ballmer summed up the attitude when he called Linux a "cancer".

So, although MS has access to FLOSS, it does not want to encourage it. Remember that MS makes money from lock-in, not from openness. This has been true of other companies, notably Apple and (in the past) IBM.

Microsoft may not want to promote that, and may not like it but there is little doubt that FOSS, as well as pirated version of Windows, does provide benefit to Microsoft Windows in that it fills in the gaps for people that do not or can not afford the proprietary "industry standard" versions.

moocow1452
January 7th, 2013, 02:44 AM
^^ I'm wondering, now that Canonical is going to have to compile every payware thing in the Ubuntu Software Center over again for ARM, would we have to worry about Fragmentation across processors?

Dragonbite
January 7th, 2013, 03:09 AM
^^ I'm wondering, now that Canonical is going to have to compile every payware thing in the Ubuntu Software Center over again for ARM, would we have to worry about Fragmentation across processors?

I don't know if that will be such an issue at this point. The ARM and x86 processors don't cross much in their application yet.

Dr. C
January 7th, 2013, 04:33 AM

There is no problem if the proprietary application is written in html5 since this is cross platform. Html5 is the same technology that Microsoft is using for Windows 8 RT. If the proprietary application is native then yes the application vendor would have to provide binaries for each platform and fragmentation across platforms could become a serious issue in the future. The latter is the problem Microsoft is facing between x86 and ARM with 20 years+ of proprietary third party binaries.

chrismine
January 7th, 2013, 12:06 PM
XDA Developers wants to work with Ubuntu - seems to be a good idea, maybe lots of beta testers available - https://www.change.org/petitions/canonical-use-users-of-xda-developers-com-as-testers-for-ubuntu-for-phone

I wonder why they doing this - Canonical brush them off or did they not contact them?

moocow1452
January 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
XDA Developers wants to work with Ubuntu - seems to be a good idea, maybe lots of beta testers available - https://www.change.org/petitions/canonical-use-users-of-xda-developers-com-as-testers-for-ubuntu-for-phone

I wonder why they doing this - Canonical brush them off or did they not contact them?

It's XDA, and they have a new toy. That's about it.

mips
January 7th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I think it would be pretty hard for Ubuntu to get into this market. If they get it right good for them but I have my doubts.

Paddy Landau
January 7th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I think it would be pretty hard for Ubuntu to get into this market. If they get it right good for them but I have my doubts.
It will be frighteningly hard, against the duopoly of Apple and Google, and now Microsoft.

Canonical's only chance is now, while it has a unique and brilliant solution. It is a risky chance, but by gosh I hope Canonical succeeds.

The competition to the existing "tripoly" would cause fantastic pressure to innovate — but, unfortunately, an increase in those outrageous software patents.

If Canonical succeeds, I suspect that it will be the start of a minor revolution.

alexfish
January 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM
It will be frighteningly hard, against the duopoly of Apple and Google, and now Microsoft.

Canonical's only chance is now, while it has a unique and brilliant solution. It is a risky chance, but by gosh I hope Canonical succeeds.

The competition to the existing "tripoly" would cause fantastic pressure to innovate — but, unfortunately, an increase in those outrageous software patents.

If Canonical succeeds, I suspect that it will be the start of a minor revolution.

Will Software patents affect this market, in certain quarters yes

but will will depend on the Target + it's origin ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent

irv
January 7th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Weird. Are you sure you have the latest version?
Sorry it took so long to get back to your post. I have been down with the flu. Haven't touch a computer for three days. I think the worst is behind me.
Here is what I installed.
I can't find Ubuntu for Android with Unity. Does anyone know if it even exists?
I was trying to do this without rooting just to see how it would work.

irv
January 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Possibly. I live in the UK, and Canonical is UK-based. Everyone, even kids, have mobile phones here. I agree with haqking; Europeans find the American mobile plans weird.
This put a smile on my face. I live in the USA and I find American mobile plans weird. That's why I don't have one. I pay as I go with my Go phone. I got hooked on this when I was in Africa a few years ago. I could never see buying something you might end up not being able to use because you don't want to play the game of some provider, that tells you, the customer that if you drop their service you still have to pay them and that phone you just bought will no longer work because they are going to lock it so you can't.

mips
January 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I pay as I go with my Go phone. I got hooked on this when I was in Africa a few years ago.

Pay as you go has been pretty big here for many years. It's even spread to other industries like landline services, electricity, internet data bundles etc etc etc. The downside is the cost per usage is usually higher than the equivalent cost per usage on a contract, you just need to check you average usage and then determine what works out cheaper for you. Some people don;t have a choice and have to do prepaid as financial vetting will exclude them from contracts.

irv
January 7th, 2013, 07:43 PM

This article did a good job in bringing out where we are going with smart phone in the near future. This will be great for some but not for all. The reason I say this is because I am really not a phone guy.(to small for big hands). I believe I can live without a phone, but not my laptop. But here lately I find when I hit the road on a short trip, I travel lite with my Asus Transformer Tablet. But if I am going to be gone from home for days, they I will take my laptop. I do take my cell phone with, but sometimes I don't even turn it on.

irv
January 7th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Now that I am up to speed with all the posts in this thread, and yes, I did read all of them. This thread has been only going 5 days, but after been down 3 day sick, I got behind.
There has been a lot mentioned about ARM and x86 and I think people don't realize what an impact when MS announced that Win8 will be compatible with ARM. (WinRT). This in it's self is hard to overstate how important this added will change the way we look at future. I think Canonical making this announcement when they did is going to be a big thing for them.
We know that Canonical and Nexus 7 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation) has been a way to port over to the ARM processor. Now we are seeing it on ARM based phones.

One more thing to mention here is Apps and Applications or programs, I want to use the right terminology. We know that programs written for the x86 will not run on the ARM. I would think that an app written for Android would run on a Ubuntu phone? I put it as a question, because I am not 100% sure it will.

moocow1452
January 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Probably. If Android runs on top of a JVM already, then it shouldn't be that big a deal then to port the internals over to allow Android apps to run, both being open source.

Copper Bezel
January 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I don't think it'll be that easy, honestly. It'd basically be running a second OS on top of the same kernel, which works for Ubuntu for Android, but only because the two don't have to share a UI. At best, I'd think it'd be a bit like switching back and forth between a pair of VMs (except in that neither one is technically a VM at all.)

moocow1452
January 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Shouldn't be hard either, since you don't have to emulate Android to run 90 percent of the apps as I understand it, just Dalvik.

Omegus
January 8th, 2013, 01:05 AM
this is driving me nuts. I want the image now. My Sgt from work has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and he saw the video and wants me to put it on his phone.......got I want this phone BADLY.

whatthefunk
January 8th, 2013, 01:09 AM
this is driving me nuts. I want the image now. My Sgt from work has the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and he saw the video and wants me to put it on his phone.......got I want this phone BADLY.

Calm down man. Its just a phone. Its not going to change your life or anything.....

Omegus
January 8th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Calm down man. Its just a phone. Its not going to change your life or anything.....

but it has. after my tour in Afghanistan Ubuntu was my first taste on Linux and I love Ubuntu for it. I have a renewed love for computers again. I want Ubuntu to succeed.

Paddy Landau
January 8th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I can't find Ubuntu for Android with Unity. Does anyone know if it even exists?
Neither Ubuntu Phone nor Ubuntu for Android has been released. They are both still in the experimental & development stage. Frustrating, I know!

Why don't you ask on the Ubuntu IRC channels to find out if you can get a copy? But, you'd have to be aware that it neither is even an Alpha release, so be prepared for major, possibly fatal, bugs.

irv
January 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mark showing the phone at CES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RO7QbCqFY7Y
Listen to what he says about the apps.

Paddy Landau
January 8th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Also listen to what he says about convergence: One device to run your phone, tablet, TV, laptop. It just keeps getting cooler!

Here's a suggestion. Let Canonical copyright the idea and patent the implementation. Give the copyright and patent away free to companies that commit to stop playing the software patent game, and sell them for megabucks to those that won't!

lads
January 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Alan Pope says (https://plus.google.com/u/0/109365858706205035322/posts/3GC9rSZjgDn) the code is to be released by late February. I can't wait to buy an handset and try it out!

lads
January 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
This is from one of the comments at the CNN bashing article (http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/02/technology/mobile/ubuntu-smartphone-linux/):

On Youtube, in 4 days, Ubuntu phone has had over 1.5 million hits. Win 8 phone has max about 600,000 hits after 2 to 11 months.

In fact Shuttleworth's video alone has over 1.5 M views. Searching on YouTube I can only find one video on Winblows 8 over that, with 1.9 M views, but it is from 10 months ago.

I guess as at least as a PR move this has already been quite successful :)

KiwiNZ
January 8th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Alan Pope says (https://plus.google.com/u/0/109365858706205035322/posts/3GC9rSZjgDn) the code is to be released by late February. I can't wait to buy an handset and try it out!

Be aware that the ROM to be released in February is handset specific pre Alpha test/concept and is not full featured or complete.

irv
January 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
It’s official: Ubuntu now fits phones (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue298)
That was the title to the article in the Ubuntu News Letter today.

EDIT: It was taken from this blog:http://blog.canonical.com/2013/01/02/its-official-ubuntu-now-fits-phones/

Dragonbite
January 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Mark showing the phone at CES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RO7QbCqFY7Y

Thanks for the link, that was good to watch. At least it gives a better feel for the direction they are planning on taking it.

irv
January 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
First, I am not trying to start the same argument about Unity and no Unity. With that said here is my comment.
When Unity came out, I like many was not sure if I liked it or not. I even stepped back and took a deep breath. I came back, I left, I came back, I left. Then finial came back and stayed. Deep down I believed there was going to be something in the future if I stayed with Unity. Today when reading Canonical Blog (http://blog.canonical.com/2013/01/02/its-official-ubuntu-now-fits-phones/) it shored up belief.

When we began developing Unity a few years ago, the aim was to create a single family of interfaces that work the same way on different devices. This means that unlike most of our rivals, we are able to use a single underlying OS across all the devices which people use, be they PCs, phones or any other device.

I know we heard this in the past, but today we are starting to see this become a reality. Many of us have different devices and it would be a real blessing to be able to have the same OS no matter what device we are using. Right now If I grab my laptop (which I am typing this on) I am using Ubuntu with Unity. If I would have grabbed my wife's Chromebook I would be using Google OS, If I would have grabbed my Tablet I would be using Android OS. (Notice I did say anything with Windows OS on it) that's because I don't have windows on anything.

I am really liking where we are going.

richs-lxh
January 8th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Be aware that the ROM to be released in February is handset specific pre Alpha test/concept and is not full featured or complete.

Have a Samsung Galaxy S sat here itching to be flashed. Currently running Jellybean, but would love to get into an Ubuntu Phone hackathon :)

richs-lxh
January 8th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the link, that was good to watch. At least it gives a better feel for the direction they are planning on taking it.

I think the dealbreaker will nattery life (like all phones nowadays). Hopefully they'll keep resources down and have it out in time for SGS IV and its peers.

Let's face it, if Ubuntu runs ok on an old EeePC, it'll fly on a high-end smartphone.

Copper Bezel
January 8th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I know we heard this in the past, but today we are starting to see this become a reality. Many of us have different devices and it would be a real blessing to be able to have the same OS no matter what device we are using. Right now If I grab my laptop (which I am typing this on) I am using Ubuntu with Unity. If I would have grabbed my wife's Chromebook I would be using Google OS, If I would have grabbed my Tablet I would be using Android OS. (Notice I did say anything with Windows OS on it) that's because I don't have windows on anything.
Conversely, more options is more options. I think I'd rather like an Ubuntu phone to complement my Android tablet. I'm still staying away from Windows, too, and I don't feel any great attraction to Chrome OS, which doesn't do anything much that Ubuntu doesn't. But I don't even get to make those kinds of decisions on mobile yet, when Android's the only serious contender.

irv
January 8th, 2013, 09:56 PM

Just for the record this was on Canonical Blog.

Ubuntu phones aren’t yet available for purchase, but we are ready to start working with partners with an aim to releasing phones before the end of 2013.
I think the wheels are starting to turn faster as we roll down hill.

dannyboy79
January 8th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I just saw a post on the internet that already on day 1 of CES 2013 there are over 500 developers that signed up to start developing apps for the Ubuntu mobile OS. I am pumped about this for sure!

Cheesemill
January 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
The framework for developers is already in place, you can start writing applications for Ubuntu Phone right now if you want.

It only takes a minute to install the necessary tools and start coding...

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

irv
January 8th, 2013, 11:41 PM
The framework for developers is already in place, you can start writing applications for Ubuntu Phone right now if you want.

It only takes a minute to install the necessary tools and start coding...

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

I tried it and I'm not a developer. For those who are into programming this should be an easy way to write apps for the phone. Everything is in place in 12.10.

ezzy25
January 9th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Is it possible (or will it be possible) to dual boot android and ubuntu on a phone? Does such a thing exist for android now?

irv
January 9th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Is it possible (or will it be possible) to dual boot android and ubuntu on a phone? Does such a thing exist for android now?

I find I get a lot of question answered by reading. Here is some articles to start with.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/canonical-unveils-ubuntu-phone-os-that-doubles-as-a-full-pc/
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/01/ubuntu_smartphone/
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/01/02/ubuntu_phone_meet_linux_on_your_smartphone.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/01/02/ubuntu-phone-and-other-iphone-and-android-killers/

There are a lot more out here on the Internet. But to answer your question about Android and Ubuntu on the same phone. Yes. What Canonical is doing is installing a full Desktop Ubuntu OS on the phone so while you are running Android on your phone when plugged into a cradle will then boot into Ubuntu OS. That is just one aspect. Another aspect is to run Ubuntu Unity directly on the phone.

irv
January 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM
5 Reasons I Want An Ubuntu Phone (http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/5-reasons-i-want-an-ubuntu-phone/240145684)
This appeared yesterday in InformationWeek Mobility

The first of five reasons I believe the Ubuntu naysayers may be wrong. The idea of an operating system extending from the server to the desktop to the television to the mobile phone has been around for a while, but nobody has offered it yet. Ubuntu makes that full-sweep promise at the right price: Free. It's not like Ubuntu is that far behind the curve.

Reason Two: My -- and probably your -- monthly mobile carrier bill. Page after page of inscrutable details and charges (regulatory cost recovery charge, anyone?) that adds up to at least twice what you were expecting to pay.

Reason Three: The rise of competitive carriers. In the U.S., the carrier world is mostly split into AT&T, Verizon and everyone else. But there's evidence that this is changing.

Reason Four: An answer to the IT headache. The mobile enterprise and the rise of BYOD continue to pose a difficult management task for enterprise IT professionals. It may be an ultimate irony that a Linux-based device (Ubuntu is a Debian-derived Linux distribution) is easier to manage and secure than the iPhone or Windows phone. Appeal to the enterprise IT organization was an important part of Ubuntu's phone announcement: "It meets the demands of two key segments particularly well: those who want a beautiful but easy to use basic smartphone and those who want enterprise-grade thin client and desktop capability in a secure smartphone that can be managed using enterprise tools."

Reason Five: The opportunity to be a fast follower. Sometimes we forget just how young the mobile phone market is, and how quickly new models are introduced.
Read the whole article it was well written. 5 Reasons I Want An Ubuntu Phone (http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/smart-phones/5-reasons-i-want-an-ubuntu-phone/240145684)

irv
January 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Pay as you go has been pretty big here for many years. It's even spread to other industries like landline services, electricity, internet data bundles etc etc etc. The downside is the cost per usage is usually higher than the equivalent cost per usage on a contract, you just need to check you average usage and then determine what works out cheaper for you. Some people don;t have a choice and have to do prepaid as financial vetting will exclude them from contracts.
I just ran across this today.
T-Mobile CEO says iPhone and end of subsidies coming 'in three to four months' (http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/9/3854650/t-mobile-ceo-says-iphone-coming-in-three-to-four-months)

Hendry
January 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not going to run Ubuntu on my Galaxy Nexus soon. I'm afraid that legacy use will not be supported as you would expect from a mobile device. Going to wait for others to experience it first :-)

MyTinFoilHat
January 10th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Ubuntu's only a few days into its reveal and so, naturally, people are excited - in both positive and negative ways. It's only natural. FWIW, I'm throwing a few more thoughts into the ring...

-I love that this redefines "mobile". Actually, it's a clearer definition of mobile. TUbuntu, opening itself to the mobile world, is helping to better cater to how people really work and play, as well as unify the experience whether it's on a smartphone, a tablet, or as a fully-functional desktop. I think that's awesome. I really do.

- As many have pointed out, there are questions about competition. Personally, I've gotten sick of the games from the likes of Apple and the various Android Handset OEMs. I've had an iPhone, I have an Android - and while both have their merits, they both isolate my experience. Nevermind the relentlessness of their infighting. Sure, I can sync music, photos, bookmarks, email, etc... but the experience in doing so has always been cumbersome. I want and need a secure device that will enable me to have one experience. Ubuntu may be an answer or a means to a solution.

-Please, please, please... No bloatware, especially if OEMs get their hands on this. I do not want or need anything like what Sprint did with the HTC EVO - Seriously? A NASCAR app? SprintTV? (((shudder))). All the unnecessary BS must go.

- For the love of all that's holy, Ubuntu, please don't force me to opt-out of features, apps, or services like the Amazon lens. Seriously. Make people opt-in. It's called courtesy and respect; and the whole "you must opt-out" schemata is getting really boring. Want to be different? Do something different.

- Apps... like many mobile device users, I have investments in the apps I have, apps I've purchased. Over the years, the $1 and multi-dollar apps really begin to add up. It would be a shame to effectively throw that money down the drain. I mean, I could always continue to use my Android as a "work around the house" music device with internet access, as I did when I moved from my iPhone ages ago... Is there a way to migrate, given that Android is linux?

- Don't make me live in a purple world. One of the things I dislike most is that god awful purple (or color resembling purple)... Ick. Just... ick.

-

UltimateCat
January 10th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Hi! Everyone!

Found this today; Ubuntu on a cell phone-
Ubuntu Phone OS Demonstration by Mark Shuttleworth at CES 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO7QbCqFY7Y

Copper Bezel
January 10th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Aubergine (eggplant,) which is a purple (and not a violet) since it's non-spectral (technically a mix of the two ends of the visible spectrum.) I love it, personally. = )

I agree on the opt-outs, but that's part of why I'm less excited about this than I could be. I don't see that Canonical really has my interests in mind any more than Google does. That isn't a slam, because I really do have a lot of respect for Google, too, where Microsoft and Apple still seem very anti-consumer to me. But it makes the choice between an Ubuntu and an Android phone less significant than the choice between Windows and Ubuntu on the desktop.

I imagine that whether or not there's bloatware will really have to do with enthusiasm for the project in general. I see vendor-written lenses being fairly common as soon as they're willing to invest that much into the platform in the first place.

UltimateCat
January 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have a internet connection on my cell phone and it is way too expensive for me to be able to.

Is it possible to install Ubuntu on a Samsung A707 Cell phone?

h0bbe
January 10th, 2013, 09:24 AM
You can get all info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100707

Elfy
January 10th, 2013, 09:27 AM
merged thread

sffvba[e0rt
January 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM
merged thread

vBulletin Tip #42: Not much would be accomplished by merging this item with itself.

Ninja'ed.... hate that silly error message >.>

Elfy
January 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Ninja'ed.... hate that silly error message >.>

:p

h0bbe
January 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM
My guess is that opt-out and bloatware has more to do about getting the Ubuntu Phone OS out or not. That's what Canonical has to give to OEM:s and carriers to make them install and sell phones with Ubuntu Phone OS.

What do you guys think about the level of customization on Ubuntu Phone? My Android phone doesn't at all look or behave as it did when I bought it. I've customized it whith a launcher and apps for more swipe functionality. You can use widgets and live wallpapers to modify it in many ways. I bet there's a way to modify it to behave almost like the Ubuntu Phono OS looks in the videos!

As it looks now the Ubuntu Phone OS looks rather locked up in that sence. Some people say that only geeks will want an Ubuntu Phone, but geeks want to customize - don't they?

Copper Bezel
January 10th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Real geeks customize under the hood. I imagine the phone will have the same priorities as the desktop: a functional and attractive frontend and an open and configurable backend.

And I'm not going to dub myself a real geek - my Linux fu is weak - but I find I have few qualms with how anything looks in Android, but more with how certain apps behave. And I've never felt the need to show off my cube in Android, either. = P

Paddy Landau
January 10th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately, I do not have a internet connection on my cell phone and it is way too expensive for me to be able to.
Don't modern smartphones come with WiFi as standard? That way you can have Internet access any time you are within reach of your router or a WiFi hotspot.

haqking
January 10th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Don't modern smartphones come with WiFi as standard? That way you can have Internet access any time you are within reach of your router or a WiFi hotspot.

not everyone uses a smartphone ;-)

The posters phone is not one http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersProduct.do?prd_mdl_name=SGH-A707

Paddy Landau
January 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
not everyone uses a smartphone ;-)

The posters phone is not one http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersProduct.do?prd_mdl_name=SGH-A707
Oh… I thought Ubuntu Phone would work only on a smartphone.

haqking
January 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Oh… I thought Ubuntu Phone would work only on a smartphone.

yes a smartphone is required.

The post you responded too was asking if it could be installed onto a Samsung A707, they said they didnt have Internet and you said you thought all smartphones had wifi, the poster doesnt have a smartphone ;-)

Paddy Landau
January 10th, 2013, 01:18 PM
The post you responded to…
Sorry; I understand now. Thanks.

Dragonbite
January 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Oooooo.... Terminal access to the phone? SSH into your phone?

Anyway, one benefit to an Ubuntu phone coming out now is that they can learn from the experiences with Apple, Android and other phone systems on what works, what doesn't and what people want their phone to do.

So there is a benefit to "coming to the party late", and Ubuntu has a real chance of taking advantage of these lessons and start off with the right foot.

dannyboy79
January 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
i wonder if any iProducts would be able to be rooted and then install Ubuntu phone OS on them. That would be awesome. LOL

Most likely not I can dream

haqking
January 10th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Oooooo.... Terminal access to the phone? SSH into your phone?

You can get terminal and ssh access on android now.

h0bbe
January 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM
A new interesting video I discovered today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EQOtVi6alSQ

The reporter is allowed to touch the phone herself, I haven't seen that in any other video. They comment on how "snappy" the experience is and Mark says that "we can bring this up on any android phone in a matter of weeks".

Edit: A new video on a performance improvement made a couple of days ago: http://vimeo.com/56944191

dannyboy79
January 10th, 2013, 03:52 PM
my friend on the floor of CES got the guy to say my username (ubuntuaddicted) for the interview. LOVE IT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD4fgoPbVaI

Paddy Landau
January 10th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I want to see the phone when it is docked to a monitor and to a TV!

I do wish the reporters would pronounce Ubuntu correctly (http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu), though.

tartalo
January 10th, 2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD4fgoPbVaI

0:55 -> This settles one doubt I still had. No, as a user I should not expect being able to install Ubuntu on the random Android capable device I already have. The images that are going to be released to the public will be developer oriented and only for certain specific devices.

It makes a lot of sense, I was thinking wishfully, but color me disappointed.

irv
January 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM

Most of my grandkids have smart phones and when they come over they get on my wifi. It the same way with my laptop or tablet, I am always looking for hotspots when I am out and about. Anin't life grand. The whole world wants to be moblie.

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Most of my grandkids have smart phones and when they come over they get on my wifi. It the same way with my laptop or tablet, I am always looking for hotspots when I am out and about. Anin't life grand. The whole world wants to be moblie.

I carry a hotspot in my pocket, using a mobile hotspot on a phone is quicker and easier than finding decent hotspots out and about.I tether my tablet or laptop when ever I am travelling or out and about and need web access.

irv
January 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM
I carry a hotspot in my pocket, using a mobile hotspot on a phone is quicker and easier than finding decent hotspots out and about.I tether my tablet or laptop when ever I am travelling or out and about and need web access.
I have this setting on my Asus Tablet for setting up a portable hotspot, but I have never used it and don't know how. Is this what you are talking about when you say carrying a hotspot in your poket.

KiwiNZ
January 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I have this setting on my Asus Tablet for setting up a portable hotspot, but I have never used it and don't know how. Is this what you are talking about when you say carrying a hotspot in your poket.

Most 3g devices have the ability to set up a personal hotspot your screen shot shows where you set it up, it takes only a few seconds to do an devises use the hotspot just like any other WiFi connection.

You do need to be aware of your mobile data plan's allocated data allowance and the cost of additional usage.

I have two on account SIM's that give me 10GB per month

irv
January 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Most 3g devices have the ability to set up a personal hotspot your screen shot shows where you set it up, it takes only a few seconds to do an devises use the hotspot just like any other WiFi connection.

You do need to be aware of your mobile data plan's allocated data allowance and the cost of additional usage.

I have two on account SIM's that give me 10GB per month

Than's very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Getting back on subject, I have been watching all the latest videos from CES and with the show and the Internet coverage of the show, Ubuntu and the smart phone is making a good showing. Mark has mention phones and tablets, but I haven't seen much on tablets yet. I am on my Android tablet right now, and I would love to be running Ubuntu. It isn't that I don't like Android it's that I just like Ubuntu better. I think Ubuntu with Unity would be great on this thing.

irv
January 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I couldn't help myself, I had to put it on my Asus Tablet.

h0bbe
January 10th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I have been watching all the latest videos from CES and with the show and the Internet coverage of the show, Ubuntu and the smart phone is making a good showing.

Are there any particular videos you recommend? I haven't seen them all and those I've seen looks almost the same. Is there anyone showing or revealing something the others don't do?

irv
January 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Are there any particular videos you recommend? I haven't seen them all and those I've seen looks almost the same. Is there anyone showing or revealing something the others don't do?
If you google it you will find videos.
http://www.google.com/#q=ubuntu+phone+video&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=VDLvUL2wCMLerAGFvICACg&ved=0CDkQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWc&fp=7d85ae9e6c06210b&biw=1280&bih=800 ://

h0bbe
January 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM
If you google it you will find videos.
http://www.google.com/#q=ubuntu+phone+video&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=VDLvUL2wCMLerAGFvICACg&ved=0CDkQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWc&fp=7d85ae9e6c06210b&biw=1280&bih=800 ://

I know. The problem is not to find them, it's to find the ones giving more info than the others! Like these (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12448293&postcount=217).

dannyboy79
January 10th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I couldn't help myself, I had to put it on my Asus Tablet.

whahhhhh??????? is that photoshop'd?

Paddy Landau
January 10th, 2013, 11:59 PM
whahhhhh??????? is that photoshop'd?
Looks real!

dannyboy79
January 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM
oh, it's just a background. lol

sffvba[e0rt
January 11th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Mr. Bacon has a go answering some questions. (http://youtu.be/Gu98c6EzEhI)

tahdas
January 12th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I keeping hearing about this Ubuntu phone OS, I even watched a video. I can't find a place to download it though. Is it still in the works? I'm a little confused.

zombifier25
January 12th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Ubuntu Phone is still in the work, and an image for installation on a Nexus will be available in February.

A real device though, won't be shipped until 2014.

grahammechanical
January 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
If you go to the Ubuntu.com home page and look at the bottom of the page you will see a heading called 'Devices.' There you can select 'Ubuntu for phones' and 'Ubuntu for Android.'

Read all about it there and you will notice that what you are hearing about Ubuntu phones is primarily an invitation to Original Equipment Makers (OEMs) to develop and market mobile devices with a Ubuntu OS pre-installed.

It is an attempt to bring about an alternate method of distributing Ubuntu other than the traditional download method.

Sometimes there is also a secondary invitation for users of certain existing devices to become testers.

That's about it, really.

Regards.

mips
January 12th, 2013, 03:39 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100707

sffvba[e0rt
January 12th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Threads merged.

kramer65
January 12th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I look so forward to booting up my phone with Ubuntu!

Even though I've watched pretty much every video on Ubuntu Phone and I also know that the source won't be released until february, I still keep on searching for new information.

As soon as I can somehow install this on my current Android phone I'll be the first to do/try so!

irv
January 12th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I look so forward to booting up my phone with Ubuntu!

Even though I've watched pretty much every video on Ubuntu Phone and I also know that the source won't be released until february, I still keep on searching for new information.

As soon as I can somehow install this on my current Android phone I'll be the first to do/try so!

Go to XDA forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/) type in your device and then do a search to see if you can root and install Ubuntu on your phone.

ezzy25
January 12th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I find I get a lot of question answered by reading. Here is some articles to start with.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/canonical-unveils-ubuntu-phone-os-that-doubles-as-a-full-pc/
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/01/ubuntu_smartphone/
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/01/02/ubuntu_phone_meet_linux_on_your_smartphone.html
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/01/02/ubuntu-phone-and-other-iphone-and-android-killers/

There are a lot more out here on the Internet. But to answer your question about Android and Ubuntu on the same phone. Yes. What Canonical is doing is installing a full Desktop Ubuntu OS on the phone so while you are running Android on your phone when plugged into a cradle will then boot into Ubuntu OS. That is just one aspect. Another aspect is to run Ubuntu Unity directly on the phone.

I understand that, but I was wondering if it would be possible choose what OS boots up when you turn on your device (android or ubuntu)- similar to dual booting a pc where I can choose Windows or Linux at startup.

pajn
January 13th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I understand that, but I was wondering if it would be possible choose what OS boots up when you turn on your device (android or ubuntu)- similar to dual booting a pc where I can choose Windows or Linux at startup.
Yes that would be possible as Ubuntu runs on the same kernel as Android.
Whetever Ubuntu will use the same partition cheme as Android or not we will (and are already) able to mount those partitions from image files on the sdcard instead from the actuall partitions.
FYI. I'm dualbooting three Android roms, all whitch have it's own /system and/data on the SD, the kernel and the cache is shared on the phone.

Pensacola01
January 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

Do you know if Ubuntu will provide Ubuntu Phones for testing like Mozilla did for Firefox OS?

Thanks

ojdon
January 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

Do you know if Ubuntu will provide Ubuntu Phones for testing like Mozilla did for Firefox OS?

Thanks

You will be able to download it onto a Galaxy Nexus during the end of February:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-download-will-be-ready-late-february

irv
January 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM
If you are really interested on putting Ubuntu on an Android phone do some reading on XDAdevelopers forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/). When Android ICS came out, before JB, I installed it on a mini sdcard and booted my Nook into it. There are all kinds of tricks you can do with Linux because the kernel is the same for the Android.

offgridguy
January 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I am finding this ubuntu phone OS, thread, very interesting :)

somrita
January 13th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Wow,I found the design pretty cool

ezzy25
January 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM
I wonder why Canonical didn't switch to the Nexus 4 when it was released so that they are working on a phone that at least meets their own minimum requirements to run in desktop mode. Why release an image for a phone that doesn't even meet their requirements to use it? Anyway, hope somebody creates an image for the Nexus 4 soon after the code is released.

sffvba[e0rt
January 14th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I wonder why Canonical didn't switch to the Nexus 4 when it was released so that they are working on a phone that at least meets their own minimum requirements to run in desktop mode. Why release an image for a phone that doesn't even meet their requirements to use it? Anyway, hope somebody creates an image for the Nexus 4 soon after the code is released.

To be able to do this you need a phone as well as the dock to go with it. AFAIK there isn't a high-end phone with this specific requirement yet.

toupeiro
January 14th, 2013, 06:22 AM
So just curious, but does anyone close to ubuntu phone OS know if their implementing it in such a way that people wouldn't void their warranty on their current android device?