PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] I Book G3 Installation Problems

122jdh
January 2nd, 2013, 01:14 AM
Trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS PPC, but I run into all types of errors.
My IBook22 G3 specs are:
600 MHz PPC 750FX (G3) CPU 512k level 2 cache
256 MB RAM
20 GB HDD
LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B
2X AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 16 MB of VRAM

I'm using a CD-RW and I burned the ISO with CyberLink Power2Go 8 at x4 on a Sony DVD-RW AW-Q1T0A Drive.
I'm also using a 2GB MicroSD card with an USB adapter (both San Disk)(i have a San Disk flash drive 8GB I could use but would need to back up the data first)

The IBook doesnt recognize the USB or the CD (when not in Mac OS X 10.3.9) nor will it boot from it when holding "C" during startup so I have to go into Open Firmware. Using these commands i get the following errors:

Command: boot CD,\INSTALL\YABOOT (Without ethernet cord plugged in)
Error: can't open: enet:bootp

Command: boot CD,\\TBXI
Error: BOOTP/BSDP failed: no filename specified can't OPEN: enet:bootp

Sometimes when using either command for a CD I get this
"block0 is bad can't open"

Command: boot USB,\\TBXI

Command: boot usb,\install\yaboot

I put the vmlinux, yaboot, yaboot.conf files on the root of the HDD, tho I cant find where initrd.gz is, the closest thing is Packages.gz. When I try the following commands:

Command: boot hd:0,yaboot
Error: DISK-LABEL: LOAD (NONINTERPOSED) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small

Command: boot hd:0,\\tbxi
Error: DISK-LABEL: LOAD (NONINTERPOSED) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small

I used the following guides as help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20install%20Ubuntu%20on%20MacBook%20using %20USB%20Stick (used manual approach)

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/powerpc/boot-drive-files.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/powerpc/ch05s01.html#boot-newworld

What is wrong with this machine, that wont let it start yaboot?

JiuJitsu500
January 2nd, 2013, 01:20 AM
You meet the minimum requirements, but I think there's an alternate install for that. It won't work with amd64 or x86 installs... as you're very aware.

I'm also a little drunk so I didn't really read most of your post, sorry :D I just read the part where you said PPC in the first line, oops

Anyway though, try a lighter distro, like Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Older hardware is not lost with XFCE and LXDE. I have Lubuntu on a almost-decade-year-old laptop running like a champ with less specs than yours. I did a couple macs a few years ago and the forums there were raging.

Try posting in Apple Users forums too

122jdh
January 2nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
No matter what OS I try I still get the same problems. It might be the CD-RW, so I'll burn it with a CD-R and see what happens.

122jdh
January 3rd, 2013, 08:41 PM
I burned it with a CD-R, but when I boot holding "c" i get a grey screen followed by the globe icon then the flashing folder/ question mark. I tried switching the boot disk in system preferences but the CD-ROM was not accessible so I went back to using my usb. Then the friggin terminal wouldnt convert the iso to .img so i skipped that and just used the sudo dd command with the iso and it booted!