PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] Multiple Errors When Trying To Install

122jdh
January 1st, 2013, 07:49 AM
I have an IBook G3 (everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_600_2.html)
and I want to install Ubuntu (10.04 desktop PowerPC). The medium I use never shows up when I start up holding option so I try to load it from Open Firmware, but every time I try and install it I get all of these errors: "block0 is bad can't open", "load size is too small", "can't OPEN enet:bootp" "no specified file-name"....etc,etc. Ive been using a microsd 2GB with adapter in place of an actual USB drive, and a CD-RW instead of a CD-R so i can rewrite to it. I've even tried installing MintPPC 11 and Fedora with the same errors. Can someone help me out?

2F4U
January 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM
How did you burn the iso to CD? You probably know that it is not sufficient to write the iso as data disk.
Another possibility: bad download or bad burn. Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso file? Did you burn at the lowest possible speed?

122jdh
January 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM
I opened the ISO with Cyberlink Power2Go 8. The program gives 2 ways to burn an ISO: clicking on the ISO opens it in ISO Viewer then gives the option to burn it (option I used), or open the program and select Copy Disc and then select Burn Disc Image. Did not verify the checksum of the file. The way I chose to burn only gave me the option of 4x speed, the maximum. There is no lower speed the way I burned the disc.
I have UltraISO also, so I'll burn the disc the other way and with UltraISO and burn it at a lower speed, and see how it works out.

gordintoronto
January 1st, 2013, 07:35 PM
As a comment, Ubuntu 10.04 has less than four months before it will no longer get security updates. You might be better off with Xubuntu or Lubuntu 12.04.

Oh, this might be significant: if the RAM has not been upgraded, the computer can't run Ubuntu or any of its derivatives. The original spec was 128 MB, which is not enough.

122jdh
January 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM
The amount of RAM in my system is 256 MB.
And i found the ubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso file so im going to use this.