PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] no drag'n'drop in file manager

engine
December 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
The title says it all ‒ I can't simply drag'n'drop to move files between directories in the file manager. (come to that, I can't even use a right-click to copy: have to go up to the menu bar) Are these lubuntu features, or is there something a bit wrong with my installation?

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Well, you could mention the version of Lubuntu you are using.

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM
One thing is that you need to left click on the area under the "Name" column to drag-n-drop. Clicking anywhere else won't do anything.

Right-clicking to open a context menu (which includes copy) works anywhere in the row.

engine
December 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Right-click in the Name/Description pane gives me a context menu where I can copy the selected file, but right-click on the destination folder in the directory tree doesn't give any context menu. Right-click in the Places list (which would be about as useless as the Mac finder, because it doesn't allow navigation to a folder) does not give the corresponding paste option.

I'll be delighted to say what version of Lubuntu I'm running, if someone can tell me how to find out!

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 04:47 PM
This at least should give some clue:

lsb_release -a

Rex Bouwense
December 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
To find out which version that you are using, open a terminal and type:

lsb_release -a
and then enter. Your version will be on the line that says Description.

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Right-click in the Name/Description pane gives me a context menu where I can copy the selected file, ...
So you can copy with a right-click. That isn't what you wrote in the first post.

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 04:52 PM
And once you click on a folder in the places column, move back to the space on the right and right-click to paste.

Dennis N
December 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM
Right-click in the Name/Description pane gives me a context menu where I can copy the selected file, but right-click on the destination folder in the directory tree doesn't give any context menu. Right-click in the Places list (which would be about as useless as the Mac finder, because it doesn't allow navigation to a folder) does not give the corresponding paste option.

You cannot drag and drop to the side pane or do your paste command there - only into the main window. My suggestion for move/copy file (or directory) is to open the destination folder in a new tab if it is not also in the same main window, then drag the file/directory up to new tab, which will then be switched to if you pause a moment, then down to the main window to drop in any folder there.

Yes, there is no copy button on the tool bar of pcmanfm. Either rely on the right-click menu, or use the main Edit menu.

The PCmanfm in Lubuntu 12.10 has big improvements over the older version. The developer is doing an excellent job. Very solid in my opinion.

TenPlus1
December 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Using Lubnutu and the file manager PcManFm dragging and dropping is a little different, you select using the mouse first then let go of the left button and click again to DRAG and move the selected files... The newer Lubuntu 12.10 will let you drag n drop a lot easier though...