PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Windows drives icons showing up on desktop; how do I remove them?

DBogaard
December 31st, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just installed Xubuntu 12.10. Everything great, except for one thing: It's a dual boot with Windows 7, and on the Xubuntu desktop icons show up for each Windows 7 drive. I know I can remove them using Desktop settings -> Icons -> unclick Removable Devices, but this also removes the icons for other things like my external hard drive and USB Stick.

I only want to get rid of the desktop icons related to the windows drives, how do I do this?

Thanks in Advance!

The Cog
December 31st, 2012, 12:07 PM
From your Start menu, go Settings Manager, then choose Desktop, go to the Icons tab and un-check Removable Devices.

Edit - just re-read your original post. No, there is no other way at the moment. I believe there is a bug report outstanding on the issue.

pavitrabalse
December 31st, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have used windows7 os before. i think this ubuntu is totally different type of os. i have not used but want to try once.

DBogaard
December 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Hi The Cog,

Thanks for your reply; however this does not solve my problem. Unchecking that item also means that my external hard drive and USB stick won't show up anymore on my desktop. I just want to remove the icons for the internal drives from Windows 7 from the desktop.

GrtD

vanadium
December 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM
You can mount the windows drives in the traditional way, i.e., by including an entry for them in /etc/fstab. Then they will not be shown as a separate drive.

Toz
December 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
You can hide the windows partitions using udev. Create (as root) the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-hide-partitions.rules with th following content:

KERNEL=="sda3", ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

...change sda3 to the correct partition name that you want to hide. If you have more than one partition to hide, simply create another entry.

Probably need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Toz
December 31st, 2012, 02:12 PM
You can hide the windows partitions using udev. Create (as root) the file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-hide-partitions.rules with th following content:

KERNEL=="sda3", ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"

...change sda3 to the correct partition name that you want to hide. If you have more than one partition to hide, simply create another entry.

Probably need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Looks like its changed in 12.10. The proper code is as follows:

KERNEL=="sda3", ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"