PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from failed upgrade

p2ranger
December 30th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I was running a 10.04 LTS server. I tried moving up to 12.04 LTS server and I screwed something up during the upgrading process, hitting CNTRL C accidentally during one of the prompts. Of course this messed things up. Here is what I've done so far in my recovery attempts.

I pressed ESC during rebooting at the grub screen and was presented with a plethora of choices to try to boot from. I'm assuming it's different kernels? Not sure, anyway, I was able to get one of the recovery options to allow me to a prompt. The one with the highest number (3.2.0-35) allows me to boot up to a normal server prompt.

Anyway, from there I did a

dpkg --configure -a

and was able to finish stepping through all the configurations. The one I had messed up was for samba.

Once that was done I did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and let it do its thing so that everything was complete.

Rebooting, it hangs. Here's some of the lines it gets through before it stops:

Boot from (hd0,4) ext2 244df...lots of numbers and letters..3bi
Starting up...
[ 1.628837] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
[ 1.628891] Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 not tainted 3.2.0-35-generic-pae #55-Ubuntu
[ 1.628930] Call trace:
[ 1.628972] [<c1592027>] ? printk+0x2d/0x2f
[ 1.629015] [<c1591ef5>] panic+0x5c/0x161
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>] mount_block_root+0xb9/0x14c
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>] ?sys_mknod+02x2c/0x30
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>] mount_root+0x59/0x5f
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>]prepare_namespace+0x14e/0x192
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>]? sys_access+0x25/0x30
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>] kernel_init+0x156/0x15b
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>]? start_kernel+0x353/0x353
[ numbers ] [<more numbers>] kernel_thread_helper+0x6/0x10

Then it hangs and the caps lock & scroll lock lights flash

I have tried using the boot/recovery Ubuntu CD. With this I'm able to get to a prompt again stepping through all the steps. The network says its configured, and I choose a partition to work with. I then get to a prompt.

When I get to a prompt, I can ping my router, but I can't get anything outside the network to show up.

As far as I can tell, when I tell it which kernel to load and it boots up, the server runs as it used to.

So, how do I get it so that I can reboot without having to stop it and select which kernel to load?

Thanks for any help

Jason

p2ranger
December 31st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Bump

Pjotr123
December 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Consider a clean reinstallation of 12.04.1 LTS? A clean upgrade would have been better anyway.... For all operating systems under the sun, on this our tired planet Earth. Upgrade woes are far too common.

p2ranger
December 31st, 2012, 09:40 PM
That would be the ideal solution, but I have long since forgotten how to setup everything I did on my server. I made some notes which aren't complete, but I don't know if I will be able to get things running like I have them now. All my data (photos, music, documents, backups, etc) are in a separate safe place. I know the website I used to help me setup backuppc is no longer around, and that was a bugger to set up.

Jason

p2ranger
January 9th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Did a complete reinstallation. Got everything working the way I want now. This time I took notes so I won't have to go searching the Internet on how to do everything if I have to do this again.

Jason