View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS X501A-TH31 Compatibility?

December 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I am buying this laptop: ASUS X501A-TH31

Anyone have any experience with any compatibility issues with this model?

Any suggestions on how to find out more about compatibility issues with this model? Google seems to turn up nothing.... as far as I can see.

I'm a little confused about how to use the "Laptop Compatibility Thread". I'm afraid of posting this question in the wrong place, so please be gentle with me. Thanks. ;)

December 29th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Another site with info on portables, but nothing if this is your model.

Other models that have installed.
Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu post #13

ASUS K55A Windows 8 & Ubuntu Some Asus need this boot parameter pci=nomsi

Asus S46CA Ultrabook Problems with Windows Recovery and grub after dual-boot install with Ubuntu 12.04

UEFI boot - In order to get into Windows Recovery, I had to hit F9 before GRUB appeared. My mistake was to wait for GRUB to appear, select one of the 2 working Windows options (Windows UEFI loader or Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi.bkp) and by that time I was past the possibility to get into Windows recovery system.

December 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I've got an X501A, mine doesn't mention TH31 anywhere though.

Running Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit with no issues at all.

I don't know if there are any problems dual-booting with Windows 8 though, as mine came with Windows 7 which I immediately wiped to install Ubuntu as the sole OS.

December 30th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Basically same specs as my ASUS K53T but mine has a icore5, this will work like a charm and if you are adventurous you can add oibaf ppa for latest Intel drivers and xswat ppa for latest Intel vaapi driver. It runs cooler than my nvidia i7 Toshiba laptop and runs longer as well.