PDA

View Full Version : [other] Installing Linux on a Zune HD

majorburt
December 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM
tried to find the most appropriate area to put this in so sorry of its in the wrong place.

i'm going to replace my MP3 player pretty soon and was wondering if i could install Linux on it for S&Gs (Giggles).
has anyone managed to put some distro of Linux on a Zune HD? i figure, if IBM put it on a wrist watch, it can go on anything.

Mark Phelps
December 30th, 2012, 01:36 PM
IT's not just a matter of putting "Linux" on a Zune -- however you would do that! It's more a matter of having (1) device drivers that will work with the Linux kernel and the Zune, and (2) having a UI that will display with the Zune's limited screen resolution.

IBM has really MASSIVE resources -- if they put their mind to it (meaning, if they were willing to spend the money), I dare say they could put any OS on just about anything. They spend tens of MILLIONS of dollars to build Watson so they could win a TV game show!

majorburt
December 30th, 2012, 06:45 PM
IT's not just a matter of putting "Linux" on a Zune -- however you would do that! It's more a matter of having (1) device drivers that will work with the Linux kernel and the Zune, and (2) having a UI that will display with the Zune's limited screen resolution.

IBM has really MASSIVE resources -- if they put their mind to it (meaning, if they were willing to spend the money), I dare say they could put any OS on just about anything. They spend tens of MILLIONS of dollars to build Watson so they could win a TV game show!

I've seen on places like youtube where people have gotten Linux to run on android and apple products (everything from handheld to computers). i just got curious if it could or has been done.

jj97403
January 3rd, 2013, 03:40 AM
I'm glad that this topic was posted. It is hard to find any information on this topic. What little is posted about it is several years old and very vague at best.

Maybe the "Ubuntu of phones" OS that the Ubuntu homepage countdown clock just counted down to could be installed on Zune HD.

majorburt
January 3rd, 2013, 06:24 AM
I'm glad that this topic was posted. It is hard to find any information on this topic. What little is posted about it is several years old and very vague at best.

Maybe the "Ubuntu of phones" OS that the Ubuntu homepage countdown clock just counted down to could be installed on Zune HD.

i like where your going with that.

i hereby challenge anyone to get their hands on the "Ubuntu on Phones" OS (either before or after the release) to go forth and put that OS on any handheld you can think of.
bonus points if you can get it to work on a desktop lol!

jj97403
January 4th, 2013, 02:11 AM
...........or a small tablet for that matter.

tgalati4
January 4th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I remember when the brown Zune came out. How appropriate.

Mark Phelps
January 4th, 2013, 11:11 PM

What was just released appears to run on phones with hardware that worked with Android -- probably close enough the Ubuntu distro that the drivers worked, too.

A Zune is an MS product -- and is NOT going to work with Linux drivers.

As I said earlier, the problem is getting drivers.

majorburt
January 6th, 2013, 01:24 AM
What was just released appears to run on phones with hardware that worked with Android -- probably close enough the Ubuntu distro that the drivers worked, too.

A Zune is an MS product -- and is NOT going to work with Linux drivers.

As I said earlier, the problem is getting drivers.

wouldn't it be possible to just wipe the Zune, than load the various software and firmware from Ubuntu on phones to the Zune?