PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Raspberry Pi only more so?

1clue
December 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Hi,

I've always been a bit excessive when choosing hardware, but recently I was inspired by Raspberry Pi. Specifically by the idea of using it as an everyday PC for my parents. Here's the response to that sort of question on their forum: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=26852&p=242367&hilit=iceweasel#p242367

So here's the situation: My parents are pushing 80. Neither one sees too well anymore, but they wouldn't mind getting back on the net to be able to share photos and what have you. I think Skype would give them a kick too.

They have a pretty decent 50+ inch LCD or LED TV which is what they need to have if they're actually going to see anything. They have cable, and a decent cable modem which is up to modern standards.

They also have an antique iMac I bought for them years ago, the original blue and white job. Screen too small, bulky, OS too old, you name it. I'm looking for a cheap replacement because I don't think they're going to use it enough to justify a new Mac.

So back to Raspberry Pi, the USD $35 computer with an arm processor. It's not up to the task, but I wonder if somebody knows of a slightly larger machine that could be substituted?

My goal here is:

MUST hook into a large screen TV via HDMI for output to 1920x1080
Does not need to be ARM but it does need to be inexpensive, relatively new hardware.
Web browser compatible with youtube, cnn+video, gmail, etc, which supports large fonts. I'm thinking firefox/iceweasel plus flash.
Maybe 2 or 4g RAM
Either a wireless keyboard and mouse, or a Commodore 64-style computer-in-a-keyboard, or something that can be unobtrusive on the coffee table and immune to things dogs do.

Actually as I think about this, I'm interested in it for several people, including my wife. And me, come to think of it.

Having focused on the high end for so long, I don't even know what the econ-o-box people are doing. I'm open to discussion. Also interested in non-Linux solutions to get ideas for a linux-based product.

Thanks.