PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product

Gremlinzzz
December 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
:popcorn:Rumors Running Wild About Ubuntu's Top-Secret New Product
Save the date: Jan 2 -- Ubuntu set to disrupt a new ecosystem," read the urgent message. "Ubuntu will announce a brand-new product." All lips were maddeningly sealed at the Ubuntuplex, of course, but the same couldn't be said of the blogger crowds camped outside in the hopes of learning more detail.
What could it be?
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Rumors-Running-Wild-About-Ubuntus-Top-Secret-New-Product-76943.html

deadflowr
December 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I hope it's an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker!:popcorn:

Cheesehead
December 28th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Ubuntu Tablets.

Not Ubuntu on Tablets...I mean little pills. Medicine. Tablets.
Take one, and feel the Ubuntu flow. Patient, collaborative, and mutually respectful, man.

I'm hungry now.

deadflowr
December 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ubuntu Tablets.

Not Ubuntu on Tablets...I mean little pills. Medicine. Tablets.
Take one, and feel the Ubuntu flow. Patient, collaborative, and mutually respectful, man.

I'm hungry now.

like pez?

Warpnow
December 29th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'm going to guess an officially licensed ubuntu phone.

Mikeb85
December 29th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I'm going to guess an officially licensed ubuntu phone.

If it is, and has a decent screen and specs, I'd buy one tomorrow.

It's probably going to be a weak netbook-esque tablet or phone... Severely underpowered, overpriced for the specs, and available nowhere.

Kirk Schnable
December 29th, 2012, 07:08 AM
It would be ironic if the product was a Google Glass competitor like they joked about on April 1st...

mr john
December 29th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Ubuntu is putting a finger into too many pies and doesn't have the people or financial resources to do so competitively. They want to be TV, phone, tablet, desktop, server but don't have a single product that is profitable. Google and Apple both have profitable products which support future R&D. For example Apple had the ipod and iphone, both of which bring in money and Google had search and advertising which is bringing in money. But everything Canonical does runs at a loss and has done so for around 12 years.

I wish they would stop trying to launch new things and just focus on Ubuntu on the Desktop.

KiwiNZ
December 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Ubuntu is putting a finger into too many pies and doesn't have the people or financial resources to do so competitively. They want to be TV, phone, tablet, desktop, server but don't have a single product that is profitable. Google and Apple both have profitable products which support future R&D. For example Apple had the ipod and iphone, both of which bring in money and Google had search and advertising which is bringing in money. But everything Canonical does runs at a loss and has done so for around 12 years.

I wish they would stop trying to launch new things and just focus on Ubuntu on the Desktop.

From small acorns mighty Oaks grow.

Mikeb85
December 29th, 2012, 08:31 AM

It's all about mindshare. Ubuntu needs to be everywhere to have a chance, they can't simply stick to the desktop, which has dubious growth potential. Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform, and developers have many flavours of Linux to choose from.

If Ubuntu wants to appeal to normal users, it has to be on the devices those users want to actually use, like tablets. Otherwise we'll be limited to iOS, Android, or Windows.

forrestcupp
December 29th, 2012, 02:53 PM
They're coming out with a USB powered toaster.

http://lockergnome.net/upfiles/usbtoaster_450x332.jpg

bcschmerker
December 29th, 2012, 03:13 PM
It's all about mindshare. Ubuntu needs to be everywhere to have a chance, they can't simply stick to the desktop, which has dubious growth potential. Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform, and developers have many flavours of Linux to choose from.

If Ubuntu wants to appeal to normal users, it has to be on the devices those users want to actually use, like tablets. Otherwise we'll be limited to iOS, Android, or Windows.Which looks the best prediction to me so far. The trickiest part of bringing Ubuntu® to the tablet phone is a small enough and fast enough Kernel 3.7 to run on T-Engine® (http://t-engine.org/), a microprocessor/microcontroller family co-developed by The TRON Association and much of the Japanese semiconductor industry. Worldwide, several manufacturers, including but not limited to nVIDIA®, Advance Micro Devices®, LG Electronics, Motorola®, &c., are producing competitors to T-Engine® for the portable-device market.

Kirk Schnable
December 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform [...]

I can't say I agree with that at all. While I will agree that the desktop has an uncertain future (as I type this on my ThinkPad), I don't think the "desktop computing" standard can ever go away.

Yes, there are a number of people (my Grandma for instance) who only use their computers to check email, go on Facebook, and play games. My Grandma has not really used her desktop much since she got her iPad. She makes statements like yours, asking me why anyone would ever want a desktop, and if I think my laptop is on the way out.

My ThinkPad is the most powerful computer I own now, with an i7 and 8GB of RAM. I still periodically use my desktop, but I find my most frequent preference is to use my ThinkPad on a desk with an extra monitor.

I am an iPad owner, but I find that I either can't or don't want to use my tablet for everything I do. There are things my tablet does very well, and I use it daily for extended periods of time. However, it still is nowhere near the point of replacing my laptop.

As an advanced user, my tablet can't provide the kind of interfaces I want to have with my servers, such as NX, and support for protocols I frequently use to access my files such as NFS and SFTP is either non-existent or very clunky. I will admit, these complaints will not be mainstream reasons to keep desktop computing around. I am hopeful that future advancements in tablet applications and operating systems will overcome these problems.

Nevertheless, as a student, I would never dream of typing a research paper on a tablet. I much prefer my desktop for papers, where I can have my 3 monitors. In a pinch, I can use my laptop with dual screens. In a serious pinch, I'll use my laptop and 2 windows side by side. But switching between a browser and a word processor on a tablet, and using a sketchy touchscreen keyboard to type an 8-10 page paper? Forget it. Even with the Bluetooth keyboard I have for my tablet, there's no way I'd do that willingly.

To clarify, I believe tablets are very inferior to desktops and laptops for multitasking of any kind other than "listening to music while _____". To say that only developers would want desktop style operating systems in the future seems inaccurate... I would say only people who need to multitask or look at several pieces of information at the same time will always need something better than a tablet, unless major improvements are made to tablet operating systems and GUIs in the coming years.

A segment of people who I believe will continue using traditional computers for years to come: Students, Webmasters, Graphics Designers, CAD Designers, Software Developers, Authors\Journalists, Teachers\Professors, and anyone else who creates any content.

Tablets are great for consuming content, but not so good at creating it. Anyone who creates content (not just developers) will still use traditional operating systems for a long time to come.

Just my two cents.

whatthefunk
December 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM
My guess is some other type of device that Ubuntu will try to create an OS for before giving up and attempting an OS for a different device type. Canonical has developed a very bad habit of not following through on anything.

Cheesemill
December 30th, 2012, 12:49 AM
My guess is on Canonical announcing manufacturing partnerships for the release of TV's with Ubuntu TV (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tv) built in.

You can really see the direction they're going in with the 'Unity' of OS across PC, tablet and mobile phone (with Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)) and TV. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a Steam lense for Unity in development as well so a console could be on the table too.

Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing with their products, trying to build an all-encompassing ecosystem rather than just individual products.

Whoever comes out on top the next few years are going to be very exciting in the world of consumer technology.

mr john
December 30th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Desktops are going to turn into a developer only platform

That remains to be seen. It really depends whether or not tablets etc turn out to be a fad. I think some every day tasks are moving over to those platforms, but the PC still has a place when it comes to serious work.

Personally I think the traditional PC case may disappear and people might instead dock their phones to traditional keyboards and monitors, because people like them. I can't see the desktop workstation disappearing though.

I for one got bored of all my tablets and went back to a laptop and desktop.

drivingmemad
December 30th, 2012, 03:07 AM
I hope its a e-shotgun to blow up Windoze computaz :)
Mind u I'd be out of a job if it is <doh>

tgalati4
December 30th, 2012, 03:47 AM
I can't figure out how to remove the toast under Unity.

Dr. C
December 30th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I can't say I agree with that at all. While I will agree that the desktop has an uncertain future (as I type this on my ThinkPad), I don't think the "desktop computing" standard can ever go away.

Yes, there are a number of people (my Grandma for instance) who only use their computers to check email, go on Facebook, and play games. My Grandma has not really used her desktop much since she got her iPad. She makes statements like yours, asking me why anyone would ever want a desktop, and if I think my laptop is on the way out.

My ThinkPad is the most powerful computer I own now, with an i7 and 8GB of RAM. I still periodically use my desktop, but I find my most frequent preference is to use my ThinkPad on a desk with an extra monitor.

I am an iPad owner, but I find that I either can't or don't want to use my tablet for everything I do. There are things my tablet does very well, and I use it daily for extended periods of time. However, it still is nowhere near the point of replacing my laptop.

As an advanced user, my tablet can't provide the kind of interfaces I want to have with my servers, such as NX, and support for protocols I frequently use to access my files such as NFS and SFTP is either non-existent or very clunky. I will admit, these complaints will not be mainstream reasons to keep desktop computing around. I am hopeful that future advancements in tablet applications and operating systems will overcome these problems.

Nevertheless, as a student, I would never dream of typing a research paper on a tablet. I much prefer my desktop for papers, where I can have my 3 monitors. In a pinch, I can use my laptop with dual screens. In a serious pinch, I'll use my laptop and 2 windows side by side. But switching between a browser and a word processor on a tablet, and using a sketchy touchscreen keyboard to type an 8-10 page paper? Forget it. Even with the Bluetooth keyboard I have for my tablet, there's no way I'd do that willingly.

To clarify, I believe tablets are very inferior to desktops and laptops for multitasking of any kind other than "listening to music while _____". To say that only developers would want desktop style operating systems in the future seems inaccurate... I would say only people who need to multitask or look at several pieces of information at the same time will always need something better than a tablet, unless major improvements are made to tablet operating systems and GUIs in the coming years.

A segment of people who I believe will continue using traditional computers for years to come: Students, Webmasters, Graphics Designers, CAD Designers, Software Developers, Authors\Journalists, Teachers\Professors, and anyone else who creates any content.

Tablets are great for consuming content, but not so good at creating it. Anyone who creates content (not just developers) will still use traditional operating systems for a long time to come.

Just my two cents.

If by a "tablet" one means an iPad or a Microsoft Surface then by all means I agree with this entirely. In fact I would go further tablets that are tied to an app store are only designed to consume content that has been approved by the corresponding censor, Apple or Microsoft as the case may be. In addition real disruptive innovation will never occur in a platform, such as IOS or Windows RT, when one has to get permission in order to innovate.

The reality is that there is no reason other than DRM and entrenched propriety software vendors why a tablet or a smartphone has to be shackled in this fashion. Put GNU/Linux on a tablet or a smartphone and hook it up to via a docking station to a desktop keyboard and mouse together multiple monitors and there is minimal if any impact on the workflow of many content creators. About the only thing one will not be able to do on such a smartphone or tablet powered workstation is run x86/AMD64 Windows in a virtual machine! Stick to only FLOSS and I doubt even a very sophisticated user will notice the difference.

The beauty of this setup is that this same user can then take the smartphone or tablet and access the content that have created in mobile environment or dock it in another location for example when travelling. The impact here is truly revolutionary. This is the idea behind Ubuntu for Android. http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android and I would not be surprised if a product along these lines is what Canonical is going to release. By the way the presence of GPLv3 code on the GNU/Linux side will also ensure that the Andorid is also liberated by providing the owner of the device with root access and consequently will prevent any innovation stifling censorship on the part of a device manufacturer or a wireless provider.

The desktop experience will not disappear but desktop towers as we know them may will become rare and specialized, being replaced for the most part by docked tablets, or smartphones. If fact the only thing that will prolong the life of the desktop tower may be the likes of Apple and Microsoft with their DRM infected, locked and closed devices.

3rdalbum
December 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM
My guess is some other type of device that Ubuntu will try to create an OS for before giving up and attempting an OS for a different device type.

Ouch!

You're absolutely right, though.

Canonical never follows through properly. Windicators, netbooks, Ubuntu for Android, Ubuntu Mobile, Ubuntu TV, the HUD as a menu replacement, Ubuntu for ARM, Ubuntu Light, Android Execution Environment... a trail of potential products that Canonical lost interest in.

I do care what product they announce, but only because I can sigh and say "That sounds really cool, but it's a shame it will never actually happen".

m3topaz
December 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I would hope for either tablet or phone.
I like the idea of a tablet that can properly multi-task - although an iPad user I could easily live without it - as it is a limited device (for me). As for a phone, I think there would be benefits in an alternative to Apple/Android. I don't see Windows Phone filling that role anytime soon and there'd be merit in a decent Linux phone alternative.

Elfy
December 30th, 2012, 11:28 AM
It's going to be a whim wham for grinding smoke.

Whatever it will be I am sure that we'll have to put up with thread after thread of it being completely wrong for everyone.

Statia
December 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
From small acorns mighty Oaks grow.

But if you put too many acorns in the soil to be able to tend to them, many will whither and die.

sffvba[e0rt
December 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM
What ever it is, I hope it is tangible and available.

BlinkinCat
December 30th, 2012, 02:04 PM
What ever it is, I hope it is tangible and available.

+ 1

I agree absolutely

Gremlinzzz
December 30th, 2012, 02:23 PM
:popcorn:This story may be a clue.
One of those frontiers is mobile computing, an area in which Canonical has already invested significantly by deploying Ubuntu on Google’s Nexus 7 tablet, the first mobile device capable of running a traditional desktop Linux distribution. Shuttleworth didn’t mention any specific new hardware devices that Canonical will target, but he did promise that “2013 will be all about mobile – bringing Ubuntu to phones and tablets.” To do that, he said, Canonical will include more mobile developers in the Ubuntu ecosystem while also further tailoring the Unity interface to work well on mobile hardware.

http://www.thevarguy.com/2012/12/26/shuttleworth-ubuntu-to-focus-on-cloud-and-mobile-in-2013/

Dr. C
December 30th, 2012, 03:57 PM
But if you put too many acorns in the soil to be able to tend to them, many will whither and die.

True, the vast majority of acorns do not survive; however it only takes a very small minorty that do survive and become mighty oaks.

whatthefunk
December 30th, 2012, 04:41 PM
True, the vast majority of acorns do not survive; however it only takes a very small minorty that do survive and become mighty oaks.

True, but so far Canonical has left every single one of their projects by th side of the road. They seem to even be abandoning the desktop for an already full mobile market. In the end, I fear they might end up with a whole plot of wilted, half dead seedlings and nothing more.

mamamia88
December 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I would hope for either tablet or phone.
I like the idea of a tablet that can properly multi-task - although an iPad user I could easily live without it - as it is a limited device (for me). As for a phone, I think there would be benefits in an alternative to Apple/Android. I don't see Windows Phone filling that role anytime soon and there'd be merit in a decent Linux phone alternative.

would be cool i doubt that that canonical could compete with google and apple. heck i doubt microsoft can compete with them at this point.

zombifier25
December 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The problem has always been commercial support. Money keeps the world go around. I believe that in 2012 Canonical might have a real chance as this, with Steam and all.

Still, this (and all posts so far) is just a prediction. Time will tell. Since it hasn't told me anything yet, we'll have to wait for a while.

rg4w
December 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM
True, but so far Canonical has left every single one of their projects by th side of the road. They seem to even be abandoning the desktop for an already full mobile market. In the end, I fear they might end up with a whole plot of wilted, half dead seedlings and nothing more.
This may be a matter of perspective, as I'm seeing very much the opposite.

With the integration of Unity 2D support into the main Unity project, the incorporation of Netbook Remix features into the main build, and the continuing evolution of Unity as a scalable, adaptable UI across all device types, to me it seems most of the things Canonical has started continue to live on, just not as separate projects but more meaningfully, if less obviously, in the main project.

Kirk Schnable
December 30th, 2012, 06:06 PM
If by a "tablet" one means an iPad or a Microsoft Surface then by all means I agree with this entirely. In fact I would go further tablets that are tied to an app store are only designed to consume content that has been approved by the corresponding censor, Apple or Microsoft as the case may be. In addition real disruptive innovation will never occur in a platform, such as IOS or Windows RT, when one has to get permission in order to innovate.
Yes, that is what I meant, and I agree.

The reality is that there is no reason other than DRM and entrenched propriety software vendors why a tablet or a smartphone has to be shackled in this fashion. Put GNU/Linux on a tablet or a smartphone and hook it up to via a docking station to a desktop keyboard and mouse together multiple monitors and there is minimal if any impact on the workflow of many content creators. About the only thing one will not be able to do on such a smartphone or tablet powered workstation is run x86/AMD64 Windows in a virtual machine! Stick to only FLOSS and I doubt even a very sophisticated user will notice the difference.
And this is what I meant by my addendum "Unless tablet operating systems see massive improvements in the coming years". With current operating systems, tablets aren't able to do this. In addition, a lot of tablet hardware doesn't have the ability to be docked with a desk in this way. Hopefully, if Canonical does get involved in the tablet market, these types of things will begin to change.

The beauty of this setup is that this same user can then take the smartphone or tablet and access the content that have created in mobile environment or dock it in another location for example when travelling. The impact here is truly revolutionary. This is the idea behind Ubuntu for Android. http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android and I would not be surprised if a product along these lines is what Canonical is going to release. By the way the presence of GPLv3 code on the GNU/Linux side will also ensure that the Andorid is also liberated by providing the owner of the device with root access and consequently will prevent any innovation stifling censorship on the part of a device manufacturer or a wireless provider.
This would be an ideal future for the tablet.

The desktop experience will not disappear but desktop towers as we know them may will become rare and specialized, being replaced for the most part by docked tablets, or smartphones. If fact the only thing that will prolong the life of the desktop tower may be the likes of Apple and Microsoft with their DRM infected, locked and closed devices.
I agree, the tower style desk will be on the decline. I don't see laptops going anywhere for awhile, but if tablets gained a few extra interfaces and could easily have keyboards and mice etc, then laptops might be given a run for their money too.

If Canonical came to the tablet and liberated it with FOSS ideals, and hardware manufacturers provided more I\O ports like VGA, DVI, USB, ESATA, etc, then I think tablets could become serious competitors to laptops.

Kirk Schnable
December 30th, 2012, 06:10 PM

With the integration of Unity 2D support into the main Unity project, the incorporation of Netbook Remix features into the main build, and the continuing evolution of Unity as a scalable, adaptable UI across all device types, to me it seems most of the things Canonical has started continue to live on, just not as separate projects but more meaningfully, if less obviously, in the main project.

When I first used Unity, I was rather disgusted that Ubuntu was trying to turn my desktop into a tablet... but as I started getting used to it, I found that features like quick application switching, window snapping, and ability to enable Compiz had swayed me toward believing Unity is a viable GUI for desktops\laptops without touch screens.

I have not used Unity on a touch screen yet, but I imagine that having it on my tablet instead of Apple's iOS would greatly increase the usability of my tablet, especially since I am already familiar with using Unity on the desktop.

I believe that Microsoft's Windows 8 Metro UI, for example, makes things too optimized for tablet, and using that type of interface on a desktop computer with a mouse is a repulsive idea to me. Unity does not have that impression on me, anymore. Unity has a potential to be a truly useful UI for desktops, laptops, and tablets simultaneously, and possibly even other platforms like TV set top boxes as suggested earlier.

Cheesemill
December 30th, 2012, 06:18 PM
and possibly even other platforms like TV set top boxes as suggested earlier.

I had Ubuntu TV installed on one of my boxes a while back and the Unity interface works well. I only got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to 12.04 and there wasn't a compatible build.

whatthefunk
December 30th, 2012, 07:00 PM

What about Ubuntu TV? About this time last year we were promised Ubuntu TV available commercially within 2012. Nothing.

Ubuntu for phones? Old news. Ubuntu Mobile was released in 2008, but only for one release before development was stopped.

Unity? Still incomplete in my opinion.

Basically, Ubuntu offers 75% of everything, but 100% of nothing. In no field does it excel. This latest announcement I expect to go the same way as previous ones. There will be an overly ambitious announcement about a project currently in alpha. For the next six months, people will blog about it to no end. Next year at this time, most of you will have forgotten that they made a major announcement and failed to anything about it and will get all excited about the upcoming years announcement about Ubuntu Coffee Maker or Ubuntu Beta Max. Its what I have come to expect from Canonical.

Kirk Schnable
December 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I will agree, Unity still lacks the kind of customization options it should have. But truthfully, there are 3rd party tools that provide some customization for Unity that suit my needs. When I started with Unity, I really wanted to move the dock to the bottom of the screen and disable the unified File menu feature. But I really don't care anymore after a few months of using it as my primary UI.

I got used to it. (Not defending that... You shouldn't have to get used to anything you don't want to if things are customizable.)

Basically, Ubuntu offers 75% of everything, but 100% of nothing. In no field does it excel.
If you feel that way, then why are you here and why are you a user? I think Ubuntu excels in a lot of areas where other Linux distributions fall short, like hardware driver availability, multimedia codec availability, and general user friendliness. I also find the Ubuntu community, particularly these forums, is a great group of people who are generally willing to help each other out. There is no great community driven support that I've ever seen for other platforms like Windows and Mac because I feel that those communities are more about "RTFM" or "go to the Apple store/genius bar". I feel the Ubuntu community is about solutions. Other operating systems don't have that kind of community, and that's a lot of what motivates me to be a user and a forum contributor.

This latest announcement I expect to go the same way as previous ones. There will be an overly ambitious announcement about a project currently in alpha. For the next six months, people will blog about it to no end. Next year at this time, most of you will have forgotten that they made a major announcement and failed to anything about it and will get all excited about the upcoming years announcement about Ubuntu Coffee Maker or Ubuntu Beta Max. Its what I have come to expect from Canonical.
I think the same could be said about many other companies as well. It's difficult to build something from scratch that can live up to the expectations of users. Every year Apple does the same thing, announcing a new iPhone and iPad and everyone gets excited. People go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new devices, to get an upgraded cellular radio and higher quality screen. Nothing about the last few iPhones has been that revolutionary.

whatthefunk
December 30th, 2012, 08:29 PM
If you feel that way, then why are you here and why are you a user? I think Ubuntu excels in a lot of areas where other Linux distributions fall short, like hardware driver availability, multimedia codec availability, and general user friendliness. I also find the Ubuntu community, particularly these forums, is a great group of people who are generally willing to help each other out. There is no great community driven support that I've ever seen for other platforms like Windows and Mac because I feel that those communities are more about "RTFM" or "go to the Apple store/genius bar". I feel the Ubuntu community is about solutions. Other operating systems don't have that kind of community, and that's a lot of what motivates me to be a user and a forum contributor.

I use Kubuntu. I agree 100% about Ubuntu excelling in things like hardware support, codecs, user friendliness in the base system etc. Thats why Ive stuck with the Ubuntu family for so long. Unity, however, is far from desirable, as I already stated.

I think the same could be said about many other companies as well. It's difficult to build something from scratch that can live up to the expectations of users. Every year Apple does the same thing, announcing a new iPhone and iPad and everyone gets excited. People go out and spend hundreds of dollars on new devices, to get an upgraded cellular radio and higher quality screen. Nothing about the last few iPhones has been that revolutionary.

The difference is that Apple actually does release a new product. Their last few releases may not have been revolutionary, but they released something that they said they were going to release. They follow through. Canonical, on the other hand, makes announcements about future releases and then nothing happens. Ubuntu TV? Beta. Ubuntu for Android? Beta. Ubuntu Mobile? Abandoned. I have very low expectations for this upcoming announcement.

BigCityCat
December 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Maybe they are going create a world class desktop. A GTK theme with rounded window frames. Oh wait that isn't cross platform. Guess it's gonna be a while before they finish the desktop.

deadflowr
December 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM
It's going to be a whim wham for grinding smoke.

Whatever it will be I am sure that we'll have to put up with thread after thread of it being completely wrong for everyone.

Yes.
That would be awesome!!

Of course the main complaint will be that you can't customize it.

BigCityCat
December 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM
You know KDE does cross platform better than Gnome or Unity. Yet Kubuntu is the Red Headed Step Child and they didn't even have to abandon the desktop to do it. KDE was way out in front on this whole thing.

http://www.muktware.com/5012/kdes-plama-active-running-nexus-7

cariboo
December 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
What about Ubuntu TV? About this time last year we were promised Ubuntu TV available commercially within 2012. Nothing.

Ubuntu for phones? Old news. Ubuntu Mobile was released in 2008, but only for one release before development was stopped.

Basically, Ubuntu offers 75% of everything, but 100% of nothing. In no field does it excel. This latest announcement I expect to go the same way as previous ones. There will be an overly ambitious announcement about a project currently in alpha. For the next six months, people will blog about it to no end. Next year at this time, most of you will have forgotten that they made a major announcement and failed to anything about it and will get all excited about the upcoming years announcement about Ubuntu Coffee Maker or Ubuntu Beta Max. Its what I have come to expect from Canonical.

I guess you didn't see Mark's quick peek at Unity on a smart phone during his last key-note speech at UDS-R.

grish
December 31st, 2012, 01:33 AM
I would wish that they would work with google for android.

Maybe they release an official ubuntu phone.

Or ubuntu netbooks, tablets or something like that.

I can't wait to hear what it is.:guitar:

nothingspecial
December 31st, 2012, 01:46 AM
It never fails to amaze me how much people moan and complain about something that is given away for free.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Canonical release a product you actually have to pay for.

deadflowr
December 31st, 2012, 01:50 AM
It never fails to amaze me how much people moan and complain about something that is given away for free.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Canonical release a product you actually have to pay for.

big +1

I myself still hold out for an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker.

If we're going to speculate, why not do it with extravagance.

BlinkinCat
December 31st, 2012, 01:53 AM
I myself still hold out for an Ubuntu-powered popcorn maker.

If we're going to speculate, why not do it with extravagance.

I reckon I'd spend a few bucks on one of those too - ;)

Dr. C
December 31st, 2012, 02:21 AM
I would listen to the Mark Shuttleworth Keynote at UDS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O98XoSUZAgg. It does give a very good idea of the direction that Canonical is taking Ubuntu.

I must say that Ubuntu is being positioned by Canonical extremely well for devices that straddle desktop and mobile, and is already well ahead of the competition in this space. This is very much a long term strategy. Microsoft is making a belated valiant attempt in this space with Windows 8, Apple on the other hand is not even trying.

The idea that a "desktop" and a "mobile" computer/phone have to have completly different operating systems, software, and interfaces will in the future be as archaic as punch cards and paper tape readers are today.

Linuxratty
December 31st, 2012, 03:08 AM

It will get called a Linspire clone.

The status quo never changes. Ever.

That's what the powers that be at Microsoft thought.

Welly Wu
December 31st, 2012, 03:33 AM
It makes a lot of sense to develop separate operating systems based on the devices that use them. Google appears to have abandoned that fact by merging the smart phone and tablet operating systems together with Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie are going to continue that integrated operating system support for smart phones and tablets next year.

I hate Apple and I hate Apple users, but I have to say that separating OS X from iOS is smart. Look at how successful they have been so far.

Ubuntu's Unity does not work that well on smart phones because it's resource intensive and the screen sizes are too small. You'd need a 4"+ screen or larger to make use of Ubuntu Unity on a smart phone. Tablets are a little different because most start at 7" or larger. It makes sense to put Ubuntu Unity on a tablet.

Canonical is not really trying hard enough to innovate. Give me a hybrid device that works like a notebook PC but has a detachable 11.6" screen to use as a tablet and let my Google Android Jelly Bean smart phone sync with it perfectly. We're not even close to that reality for Ubuntu users.

Ubuntu is meant for PCs and servers. That's really it. I don't care what kind of drivel Mark Shuttleworth is spouting off nowadays; he doesn't have enough partners and OEMs that give enough of a damn to ship an alpha quality product to market yet. He knows this is true.

Why should anyone care about buying Ubuntu powered PCs, servers, tablets, smart phones and smart screens? You can get more features for less money by going with the traditional brands like Google, Apple, Samsung, LG, HTC, Sony, Panasonic, etc. that already sell HDTVs, smart HDTVs, smart phones, and tablets that do all of these features.

What I'm trying to get at is that Ubuntu and GNU/Linux has already failed to make a dent in the PC desktop market. Now, Canonical is trying to branch out to the hyper ultra competitive smart phone, tablet, and HDTV markets? Are they crazy or stupid or something worse?

Keep focusing on Ubuntu PCs and servers. Keep developing PC focused new features. Drop the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment or change it so that it will integrate with the Google Play store and Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean more seamlessly. Do these things instead of chasing pipe dreams and Canonical will have a real shot at changing the status quo.

Otherwise, this is going to be all awash. Too few people in this world care about Canonical and Ubuntu and that's just not going to change significantly. Purchasing Ubuntu powered devices is going to be very expensive as an early adopter compared to the existing market for Google and Apple and now Microsoft devices and software. If Ubuntu powered devices don't sync well with others, then it's going to be a closed ecosystem with an open source focus. How ironic would that be?

whatthefunk
December 31st, 2012, 03:38 AM

Because its free we should expect poor quality? Because its free we have no right to voice our opinions if they are negative? Just grin and bare it because its free?

Personally, I want Canonical to make better products and improve Ubuntu, but their current business model of dumping money into an idea and then abandoning it is going to drive them into the ground.

aysiu
December 31st, 2012, 04:26 AM
I hate Apple and I hate Apple users, but I have to say that separating OS X from iOS is smart. Look at how successful they have been so far. Apple user here. Hope you don't hate me.

JDShu
December 31st, 2012, 05:58 AM
Because its free we should expect poor quality? Because its free we have no right to voice our opinions if they are negative? Just grin and bare it because its free?

Exactly. Being free doesn't mean the product and company are exempt from any and all criticism. I'm really not sure why "it's free" continues to be considered a legitimate argument.

pompel9
December 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Umm, because you get it for free. No one is forcing you to use canonicals products.

Making suggestions to the developers is another thing, and I do believe that is welcomed.

It is the same if you complained you get fish instead of steak when someone is giving you a free meal.

Paqman
December 31st, 2012, 12:11 PM
Ubuntpu: the world's first open source toilet!

NCLI
December 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM
My guess is on Canonical announcing manufacturing partnerships for the release of TV's with Ubuntu TV (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tv) built in.

You can really see the direction they're going in with the 'Unity' of OS across PC, tablet and mobile phone (with Ubuntu for Android (http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android)) and TV. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a Steam lense for Unity in development as well so a console could be on the table too.

Microsoft and Apple are doing the same thing with their products, trying to build an all-encompassing ecosystem rather than just individual products.

Whoever comes out on top the next few years are going to be very exciting in the world of consumer technology.

Ubuntu TV is nowhere near ready yet, and only has one dedicated contributor inside Canonical. If that's what they're announcing, I don't expect it to come out anytime soon.

xedi
December 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
Exactly. Being free doesn't mean the product and company are exempt from any and all criticism.

Umm, because you get it for free. No one is forcing you to use canonicals products.

I think both are equally valid points. Just because something is free, it still can be stupid or wrong and it's ok to utter constructive criticism so that then that aspect can be improved and the developers can learn something if the criticism is valid.

However, at the same time it's ridiculous to demand change or whine endlessly about how something is forced upon you. Nothing about Ubuntu is forced upon you, you can literally change everything you don't like or switch to another distribution completely without having wasted money on Ubuntu.

grahammechanical
December 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM

Making suggestions to the developers is another thing, and I do believe that is welcomed.

It is the same if you complained you get fish instead of steak when someone is giving you a free meal.

Yes. Like getting free as in beer, when we want free as in whiskey and a double at that! :)

So, we want quality from the first release of the software but we hate the skunk works idea because it is not open and we won't see what they are working on until it is complete and up to quality standards.

vasa1
December 31st, 2012, 02:24 PM
... demand change or whine endlessly about how something is forced upon you. ...
But this particular art form has a lot of practitioners.

whatthefunk
December 31st, 2012, 03:35 PM

It may be free, but, at least in the case of Ubuntu, we are still customers. Canonical is trying very hard to make a profit out of Ubuntu with paid support plans, Ubuntu One, the Ubuntu Music Store, and the Ubuntu Software Center. Although we dont pay anything for the initial OS, we are still customers and have a right to complain.

Other things that I dont pay anything for:
-Facebook
-Free checking account
-Savings account
-Credit card (as long as I pay off the bills every month)
-Email service
-Google

So I have no right to complain about these things either?

pompel9
December 31st, 2012, 04:05 PM
It may be free, but, at least in the case of Ubuntu, we are still customers. Canonical is trying very hard to make a profit out of Ubuntu with paid support plans, Ubuntu One, the Ubuntu Music Store, and the Ubuntu Software Center. Although we dont pay anything for the initial OS, we are still customers and have a right to complain.

Other things that I dont pay anything for:
-Facebook
-Free checking account
-Savings account
-Credit card (as long as I pay off the bills every month)
-Email service
-Google

So I have no right to complain about these things either?

Facebook - you pay by clicking on the ads.
Free checking account - I don't know about this, since you can't get checks in my country. (probably paid by the interest rate on your loan or others loan)
Savings account - You pay (and other pay your savings account) when the(y)/you have down payment on loans.
Credit cards - same as above. And if you do not pay it back within a month, you get about 10% interest rate (at least, all depends on the bank)
Email service - If you use gmail or hotmail/outlook then you pay by ads. If it is from the ISP then it is a part of the internet bill.
Google - You pay by clicking on ads or sponsored links.

As you can see, neither of these are free. Maybe checking account, but I highly doubt it. Banks don't give you anything for free, you pay them in some way.

So you have every right to complain about these things, since they are not free.

You do not pay canonical one cent for their services. So I don't see how you can complain about something that is totally free. There are no ads either.
Canonical would have been bankrupt if it weren't for Mark Shuttelworth (I hope I spelled that right). He is the only one that holds this company up financially.

You can't be a customer for something that is free.

Disclaimer: This is my understanding of how things work. I can be wrong, since I am only human.

whatthefunk
December 31st, 2012, 04:23 PM
You do not pay canonical one cent for their services. So I don't see how you can complain about something that is totally free. There are no ads either.
Canonical would have been bankrupt if it weren't for Mark Shuttelworth (I hope I spelled that right). He is the only one that holds this company up financially.

What you described for the other services that I listed is true and is what Canonical is aiming for. I mentioned Ubuntu Software Center which contains non-free programs. Ubuntu One which is a paid for service. Ubuntu Music Store which is not free. The base OS is free, but they are trying to make it profitable by selling customers services to go along with the OS. I think they are still a very long way away from achieving profitability, but they are making some money out of Ubuntu. You personally may have never given Ubuntu any money, but others have. Same with other online services. Ive never ever clicked on a facebook ad, so does that take away my right to complain if the service isnt as I expected?

deadflowr
December 31st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Ubuntpu: the world's first open source toilet!

LOL.
Will it be orange?

ZarathustraDK
December 31st, 2012, 08:52 PM
LOL.
Will it be orange?

Nope, brown :)

I hope for a dedicated phone.

As for the tablet vs desktop-discussion, it's moot. If something small becomes powerful enough, I'll just put 10 of them into a box, call it a desktop, and belittle the puny portables.

As for your right to complain, it doesn't make any sense to try and leverage destructive criticism against something that's free. Sure, if you're paying for a service, criticize the service, but it's a bit harsh turn the diarrhea-dial to 11 on everything above and below what that particular service is connected to. Credit where credit is due.

Happy New Year of Linux on the Desktop :lolflag:

JoshDempsey
December 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM
Quick question, what is this all about?:

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab325/joshdempsey/whatthe****_zps5d30191f.png

Marcappuccino
December 31st, 2012, 11:57 PM
A new clock app for Ubuntu ;)

ibjsb4
January 1st, 2013, 12:00 AM
If this is another Dec 21 end of the world thing, I already gave away everything I own.

JoshDempsey
January 1st, 2013, 12:05 AM
A new clock app for Ubuntu ;)

Ahh! Thank you! They could have at least made it a link to a post explaining it.. lol :D

sffvba[e0rt
January 1st, 2013, 12:05 AM
Threads merged.

ZarathustraDK
January 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM
Hmm... so, from the ominous countdown we can divine that the secret product is definitely some kind of touch-device.

So, tablet er phone?

My bet is on the phone, Ubuntu on Android to be specific.

Why? It's the only working beta-level prototpe we've seen so far, plus they've bothered enough to make this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1Z7bf4jXY

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a phone with Ubuntu on Android.

I just hope the phone is beefy enough. Don't get me wrong, UonA could very well run nicely on "standard" phones, but I don't think it'll appeal to the customerbase unless it has some good stuff under the hood.

tjeremiah
January 1st, 2013, 05:13 AM
I think it is a phone. The phone seems more likely than TV or tablet at this point imo.

zAo
January 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
Since Ubuntu runs fine on the Nexus 7, my guess it's a 'ROM'/new OS for Android phones. With Wayland coming up, things do really look good!

3rdalbum
January 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM
By the announcement, I'd say it's a tablet, or maybe a touchscreen ultrabook. Somebody said it was a product in "a new space" and both tablets and ultrabooks are regarded as fairly new. Doubt it'll be mobile phones as Canonical would need a fairly big investment in software to write phone software (no existing Gnome software would be usable on a small phone screen).

scwogit
January 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Dose anyone know what the Ubuntu countdown is for? it says so many hours mins and seconds, however I can't find what it is actually for, it's not 12.10 since that is already out, so what is it? 13.40 beta? or the final replacement of 12.10 to replace 12.04? I was surprised it doesn't give a link to anything to tell you what it is doing. Or if anyone else has found a link for info where can I find out?

I would love to know what this is and also know how many others have stumbled across this?

Thanks to anyone who responds :)

BlinkinCat
January 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
Hi,

Maybe this -
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2099051

Cheers - ;)

sffvba[e0rt
January 1st, 2013, 06:59 PM
Threads merged.

Statia
January 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM

But I am afraid that the Ubuntu OS will be one of the acorns not surviving.
Or worse, that these side steps will eventually kill Canonical.

Linuxratty
January 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM
But I am afraid that the Ubuntu OS will be one of the acorns not surviving.

Would you clarify what you mean by this and what led you to this conclusion?

Statia
January 1st, 2013, 11:42 PM
Would you clarify what you mean by this and what led you to this conclusion?

What I mean is that if Canonical is diverting a lot of resources to other projects than its core business (the OS), the progress of the OS might suffer, or worse, if these other projects suffer losses, Canonical as a whole and by extension the OS will stall.

Dr. C
January 1st, 2013, 11:57 PM
What I mean is that if Canonical is diverting a lot of resources to other projects than its core business (the OS), the progress of the OS might suffer, or worse, if these other projects suffer losses, Canonical as a whole and by extension the OS will stall.

The same OS will run on everything from a smart phone to a super computer. That is the whole point.

Paddy Landau
January 1st, 2013, 11:58 PM
Well, I've set my alarm to check the website at the right time tomorrow. See you then!

mJayk
January 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM
The same OS will run on everything from a smart phone to a super computer. That is the whole point.

Will by definition be god dam awful then.

Dr. C
January 2nd, 2013, 02:55 AM

Why?

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 03:10 AM

Disagree, standardization across platforms is a good thing.

Primefalcon
January 2nd, 2013, 04:10 AM
^agreed, and remember there are plenty of DE choices. dont like unity... use another... xfce is always a good option

Transhumanist
January 2nd, 2013, 06:19 AM
I'm expecting it to be, and hoping it to be, the announcement of an OEM carrying Ubuntu for Android. Maybe HTC, Samsung, LG, or one of the smaller OEMs who are struggling to break into the smartphone market and need a selling point. E.g. a Chinese OEM.

But Ubuntu for Android is definitely Ubuntu's longest-term, most important project so far. It conflates the smartphone and the PC into one, and eliminates entire markets (laptops become smartphone docks and shells, desktops becomes docks, etc).

whatthefunk
January 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM

Standardization is good, but no OS that I know of works equally well on a desktop, tablet and cell phone. The best option I think is to have a standard base OS with tweaks for each platform. Ubuntu Desktop would be perfect for desktops and laptops that do not use touch screens and generally have larger screen sizes. Ubuntu Tablet would be designed specifically for touch screens that are tablet sized. Ubuntu Mobile would be designed for only cell phones. It would all be Ubuntu so there would be a great deal of standardization between platforms and devices running Ubuntu software would interact with each other seamlessly but each device would have a specific OS.

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just four hours left!

trivialpackets
January 2nd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe a single OS, that defaults to a particular "desktop" if you will, much like unity would default to 2d if your system were unable to handle 3d. So it would be one OS, with interfaces that are similar, but different enough to make them useful on each interface?

addegsson
January 2nd, 2013, 05:09 PM
Maybe this quote from Mr. Shuttleworth can give us a clue:

"That’s why Unity in 2013 will be all about mobile – bringing Ubuntu to phones and tablets. Shaping Unity to provide the things we’ve learned are most important across all form factors, beautifully. Broadening the Ubuntu community to include mobile developers who need new tools and frameworks to create mobile software. Defining new form factors that enable new kinds of work and play altogether. Bringing clearly into focus the driving forces that have shaped our new desktop into one facet of a bigger gem."

:popcorn:

NCLI
January 2nd, 2013, 05:11 PM
Maybe a single OS, that defaults to a particular "desktop" if you will, much like unity would default to 2d if your system were unable to handle 3d. So it would be one OS, with interfaces that are similar, but different enough to make them useful on each interface?

That's pretty much the intention of how 14.04 is going to be, yes. I'd be very surprised if everything is ready already though.

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 05:43 PM
I'd be very surprised if everything is ready already though.
Oh, it won't be. That's not Canonical's way. In that sense, Canonical is a bit like Microsoft: Think it; do it; then fix it.

But there are only 75-odd minutes left, so we don't have to keep guessing much longer.

Pjotr123
January 2nd, 2013, 05:50 PM

OMG, some people are whining *before they even know what it is*. No doubt all hell will break loose once the mystery is unveiled... :shock:

Personally, I'm curious and excited. Can't wait to see what it is! :)

trivialpackets
January 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Oh, it won't be. That's not Canonical's way. In that sense, Canonical is a bit like Microsoft: Think it; do it; then fix it.

Think it; announce it; do it; then fix it.

All joking aside, I'm such a homer. Love ubuntu and what they've done in so many ways. Sometimes, I feel like they are about 80-90% there on so many things, but not 100% on any of them. That said, I'm still a user, have been for a long time now.

xc3RnbFO8P
January 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I was wondering, can Mark Shuttleworth dance like Steve Ballmer?
http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=wmicrosoft%20vista%20steve%20dansing&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dwvs boPUjrGc&ei=72XkULHDIsby4QSFm4CgBw&usg=AFQjCNF6EocsHf3ZvYIZ8Oo7eiwgmuVssg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.bGE

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=wmicrosoft%20vista%20steve%20dansing&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dwvs boPUjrGc&ei=72XkULHDIsby4QSFm4CgBw&usg=AFQjCNF6EocsHf3ZvYIZ8Oo7eiwgmuVssg&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.bGE
ROFL! That is so sad. I hope that Shuttleworth doesn't dance like Ballmer, who needs to get some exercise anyway.

greggc2006
January 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Will they announce that you can finally have working flash in your browser on any Ubuntu machine in under a week perhaps??

addegsson
January 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM

Just say no to drugs! :lolflag:

xc3RnbFO8P
January 2nd, 2013, 06:24 PM
Maybe "Do the Dapper Dance" :)

mreq
January 2nd, 2013, 06:32 PM
+1 for tablet or touch ultrabook [So close, you can almost touch it]

I am going to buy a google nexus 7 next week. How cool would be a ubuntu tablet with some android-emulation-thingy to run google play apps? :D Instead of nexus...

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe they will announce a universal anti moaning anti knocking filter on all Ubuntu products, I swear some folks would complain if their house were on fire an we called the fire service and funded the rebuild.

Gremlinzzz
January 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
:popcorn:should know in less than 3 minutes
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
One minute…

mreq
January 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
0:00 and nothing happens. ubuntu.com down? :D

Swagman
January 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Have we crashed the server ?

addegsson
It's loading here! :D

Paddy Landau
0:00 and nothing happens. ubuntu.com down? :D
Delayed April Fool's?

Or a sign of things to come?

Penguinnerd
January 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lol.
It was a countdown for a self-imposed accidental DDOS!

abimael08
January 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lol.

LOL Welp, that was fun :popcorn:

addegsson
January 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ok, now it's back to 00:00:00.

alexfish
A phone

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

lykwydchykyn
I guess there was more interest in this than they anticipated...

abimael08
January 2nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
A phone

GATEWAY TIME OUT!!! :mad:

Paddy Landau
January 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
A phone

That (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-os-unveiled-by-canonical) gives me 504 Gateway Time-out, while Ubuntu.com doesn't load.

Talk about anticlimax!

I'll have a look later.

Penguinnerd
January 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
This loaded for me.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-os-unveiled-by-canonical
A pure ubuntu phone, no android by the end of the year they say.
Though I've personally given up on ubuntu as a desktop, I will buy this phone if they do it.

edit: not loading anymore.

Swagman
January 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
What does Linux Girl have to report on it ?

alexfish
January 2nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
I tell you it be a phone

Believe me a phone

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868

Regards

alex

KiwiNZ
January 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Its loading OK all is revealed. Avalanche of complaints and moaning in 5 4 3.......

addegsson
January 2nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

mreq
January 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Lol.
hehe

but seriously, how could they underestimate us in such a way?

xc3RnbFO8P
January 2nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Looks good :)

tartalo
January 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
This URL works for me:
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

drawkcab
January 2nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/02/open-source-operating-system-ubuntu-finally/

Dragonbite
January 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hmm... not enough information other than speculation at this point. I may be willing to go with one, since I don't have a smartphone at this point anyway.

Linuxratty
January 2nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
I don't have a smartphone at this point anyway.

Nor do I. Nor do I want one.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/01/ubuntu-phone-os-unveiled-by-canonical

Penguinnerd
January 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Nor do I. Nor do I want one.

I know what you mean, but if I do get one, I wouldn't want an iphone or android if I could get one from a company that lets people have a little more control.
And I'm probably going to need one eventually. I'm optimistic that perhaps their recent development changes might actually be good for something but we shall see.

ZarathustraDK
January 2nd, 2013, 07:39 PM
I'm in the market for a new smartphone, but now I think I'll postpone until this baby hits the streets.

Just to clarify, the "product" is the mobile OS itself, not a specific phone, yet. They're trying to (probably already have) secure deals with manufacturers.

So, no phone-specs to salivate/foam at the mouth about yet.

I just hope it'll be offered on a broad selection of phones; and if that's not possible, give us the Formula 1 hardware, not the Ford T :)

The 20-minute video didn't really talk about how the mobile OS will integrate with an existing Ubuntu-installation, has that been dropped?

nothingspecial
January 2nd, 2013, 07:43 PM
New thread now the anoucement has been made.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100707