PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A simple question

Mia1990
December 28th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I've been out of the desktop world for a while now and i have a very simple question. I'M trying to change my administrator password when i click on user accounts it says user - me-mia then account type administrator language English then under that is login options and it has a place for my password. is this where i change my password. Keep in mind i only have the one account on my pc and it's the administrator account.

Thank you

superdaveozzborn
December 28th, 2012, 05:05 AM
to reset a password you can simply open the terminal and enter

passwd username

and then enter the old password and the new one two times.

hope this helps.

grahammechanical
December 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I think that 12.04 works the same way as 12.10 (which I am using now). Open the User Accounts utility. You will need to unlock it using your current password.

Then click the panel to the right of Password, where it shows 5 black dots. That will open a dialog box that will let you enter your current password and then enter a new password which will need to be confirmed by entering a second time. Then you click Change. And your password will have been changed. Now lock the utility.

So, yes, what you see is the place to change your password. Move the mouse over the 5 dots and it will become outlined as a clickable area.

Regards.

Mia1990
December 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Thank you i've changed the password from the terminal before buti had problems doing it this way is better for Ubuntu desktop thank you again for your help