PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia driver installation

Caesum
December 27th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I'm using 12.04 64-bit ubuntu and after the last few upgrades I've now noticed that my nvidia drivers are no longer being used. I tried to install them from the command line but installation didn't work and the driver isn't being used. So I then removed the driver and tried from the 'additional drivers' in the system settings. but this comes up with an error saying that the installation failed and more details can be found in the jockey.log, see attached. I'm not sure what to do now as I have now tried different versions of the drivers and tried removing them, etc.

Thanks!

WierdKid
December 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Could you post which commands use were using to install via terminal?

Caesum
December 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I was using this:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

It says it's installed but then as soon as I go into NVidia X server settings it says 'you do not appear to be using the NVidia X driver' and that I need to run nvida-xconfig as root, so I do 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' and it tells me that it's written a new config file, but when I reboot and go back into the settings I just get the same message again.

WierdKid
December 29th, 2012, 02:54 PM
You can give these two a try, they got my NVidia drivers to quit causing compatibility problems, though I haven't tried to use X Server settings.

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop nvidia-common