PDA

View Full Version : [other] Right components for my PC

Hari5g900
December 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hello,

I wish to assemble my own Desktop and I am not too sure with my choice of components. Please help me find the right composition for my PC. I am going to use it for Hardcore Gaming.I will be installing both Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate

My choices are:

Mother Board
Gigabyte GA-G41M

Processor
AMD 3.6 GHz AM3 FX4100 Processor

Graphics Card
Gigabyte AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670

RAM
2x (edited)Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB

Cooler
Cooler Master 90 CFM LED Cooler

PSU
Corsair CMPSU-700GUK

Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 310 Cabinet

Internal Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Desktop

Internal Optical Drive
LG GH24NS71/GH24NS72

Monitor
LG 20 inch LED - E2042TC

Please help me as soon as possible.Thank you

oldfred
December 27th, 2012, 03:50 PM
RAM has become so inexpensive and improves performance. I would suggest more. Ubuntu will not run all that much better but caches applications in RAM so recent tasks reload faster. I think Windows will need the RAM.

I read review and then look at chart on last page for nVidia with best performance for <$100 when shopping.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935.html

I also look at Tom's for its hardware reviews on gaming systems. They are more for Windows but most hardware works with Linux and I like to see the differences by price point.

whatthefunk
December 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I second what oldfred said about RAM. I upgraded to 8 GB RAM a little while ago and it cost me $30 or something, only a couple dollars more than 4 GB would have cost.

aromo
December 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I would just try to stay away from nVidia as it is known to be tricky to set up properly in Linux.

Also, I was told a cooler was only needed when overclocking. Can someone confirm this?

whatthefunk
December 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I would just try to stay away from nVidia as it is known to be tricky to set up properly in Linux.

Also, I was told a cooler was only needed when overclocking. Can someone confirm this?

You should definitely get a cooler. The coolers that come with CPUS are crap. They are meant to keep th chip below the critical temperature but not necessarily cool. Heat wears out chips faster so the cooler you keep it, the less problems youll have with it down the line and the longer it will last. Invest a few extras bucks and save yourself a headache down the road.

Hari5g900
December 27th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sorry about the RAM thing. I forgot to mention that I'm going to buy 2 of those.

Hari5g900
December 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM
RAM has become so inexpensive and improves performance. I would suggest more. Ubuntu will not run all that much better but caches applications in RAM so recent tasks reload faster. I think Windows will need the RAM.

I read review and then look at chart on last page for nVidia with best performance for <$100 when shopping.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935.html

I also look at Tom's for its hardware reviews on gaming systems. They are more for Windows but most hardware works with Linux and I like to see the differences by price point.
I can't access tomshardware.
It says Chrome cant find it

Hari5g900
December 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
You should definitely get a cooler. The coolers that come with CPUS are crap. They are meant to keep th chip below the critical temperature but not necessarily cool. Heat wears out chips faster so the cooler you keep it, the less problems youll have with it down the line and the longer it will last. Invest a few extras bucks and save yourself a headache down the road.
Can you suggest a good cooler then?

aromo
December 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Any recommended brand?

oldfred
December 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Tom's link on video card works for Firefox.

And this one on their multi-system price vs. performance comparisons.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/do-it-yourself-build-computer,3374.html

More updated comparison charts.
Best Graphics Cards For The Money: December 2012
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

I do not game but have had no issue with nVidia. You do have to install the proprietary drivers.

whatthefunk
December 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Can you suggest a good cooler then?

I like Scythe coolers but there are lots of good coolers out there.

Hari5g900
December 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Why are you guys discussing about nVidia?
I am going to buy an AMD graphic card as I have heard that nVidia graphics cards don't work well with AMD processors.

Hari5g900
December 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Cooler Master coolers sounds good. How about that?