View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Mono Audio Output Only from Built-in Speakers. Stereo with Headphones.

December 27th, 2012, 03:28 PM
A peculiar problem.

I have this problem under Ubuntu, Mythbuntu (12.04) and OpenSuse 12.2.

I am only getting Mono audio-output from my built-in notebook speakers. If I plug in a set of headphones into the output-jack, I get Stereo.

Both speakers work fine and the problem is not there under any version of Windows.

I would like to reconfigure my speaker setup in Linux. Can someone explain how to do it?

The audio chip is an Analog-Devices-1981.

December 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM

December 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM

December 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Perhaps to shed more light on this. Numerous other people seem to have had issues with audio being output from only one speaker. Let's disregard those cases where there was a faulty speaker or line connection.

In this case, it's not that audio is Mono per-se, but both channels are being routed to a single speaker rather than the two speakers.

The audio is noticeably more tiny under Linux than under XP/Vista/7. Not to mention it sounding awful.

As I mentioned, plugging a set of headphones you hear stereo.

December 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Just to provide a little more input on this.

It seems the speaker hardware is working in stereo. It's the Windows drivers which provide some sort of a software-equalizer to better emulate a stereo output. Which is why the audio sounds like Stereo under Windows and Mono/tiny under Linux.

Any more views/suggestions appreciated on this.