PDA

View Full Version : how to add in more desktops like old gnome

james2b
December 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
My question is how to add in more desktop managers like the old style gnome which has that basic layout. Do I add in specific software sources into the updater, then use the package manager to search for one like gnome or XFCE ? I have Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit standard. Or is the only way to install that Ubuntu gnome shell remix version ?

ibjsb4
December 27th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Gnome Classic desktop

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

XFCE

sudo apt-get install xfce

And chose at boot (login).

kansasnoob
December 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I made some notes about using the classic (no effects) session here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370

james2b
December 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Okay then and thanks, will there be very much cross over between the different desktops, so some from one into the other (mixed)?

zombifier25
December 28th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Okay then and thanks, will there be very much cross over between the different desktops, so some from one into the other (mixed)?

If you install Xfce (or LXDE, KDE), then some Xfce apps may show up in your menus and clutter them. Other than that no.
GNOME Classic itself is only a shell.

cmcanulty
December 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
that depends. On my laptop the panels carry over and I get hybrids of each. In Unity I get no launcher. A desktop seems more able to keep them separate.

james2b
December 29th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Okay I see then and thanks, I just did install that gnome fallback, and looks fine except it has only applications and places on the main menu. If I install Debian will that be the good old style gnome desktop ?

zombifier25
December 29th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Okay I see then and thanks, I just did install that gnome fallback, and looks fine except it has only applications and places on the main menu. If I install Debian will that be the good old style gnome desktop ?

1. All the preferences are moved to a dedicated System Settings window. Click the top right icon and choose it.

2. If you move to Debian stable, you to trade modern software for rock solid stability and GNOME 2. Just want to make sure you want to do it, since GNOME Classic is almost identical to old GNOME 2, and if you don't like it, you can switch to MATE (which is essentially a GNOME 2 fork), Xfce, LXDE, ...

cmcanulty
December 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM
you can add whatever you want to the panels by clicking alt+rt cl or alt+super+ rt cl. Also you can have several panels same way