PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove 12.04 GUI on Desktop install to create server

rgl2020
December 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hi, hopefully someone can help me out. I have a computer I was using as a HTPC with Ubuntu Desktop on it. I have been sticking to the LTS versions and have gone through several updates. I no longer use it as a htpc and instead am using it as a file and media server as well as a few other things. I want to get rid of the gui and all the extra bloat included in the desktop version. I thought about doing a clean install, but thought that it would be more trouble than it's worth. So now that you know my situation, I have several questions.

1. Is there an easy way to remove the gui and bloat that comes with it?
2. Will it even make a performance difference removing the gui?
3. I read somewhere on this forum that there isn't any real difference anymore between the server and desktop versions except the gui. Is that actually true?
4. Should I just disable the gui instead?

chadk5utc
December 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I believe the command that your looking for in

sudo apt-get —purge remove gnome*
I personally would back up as needed and do a clean install.

ibjsb4
December 27th, 2012, 02:46 PM
If you not so sure about a server install, why not set up a 10 gig partition, install it and play with it for a while.

newbie-user
December 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM
apt-cache show ubuntu-desktop

That shows all the dependencies and recommends for the ubuntu-desktop. Just copy all those package names and apt-get remove them.

+1 to chadk5utc's comment about a clean install.

Wim Sturkenboom
December 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
If the space that is occupied by the bloatware is not an issue, you can easily change your system to boot to console instead of GUI.

Edit /etc/default/grub, find the line that contains 'quiet splash' and add (or replace 'quiet splash' by) 'text'. From another post that I made, it should be this line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Next run

sudo update-grub

rgl2020
January 1st, 2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the input. I decided to just do a clean install.

ibjsb4
January 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM
Happy New Year :)

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=mark+thread+solved&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en