PDA

View Full Version : I am really starting to love open source

mamamia88
December 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Windows 8 came out and was a vast departure from windows 7. Some useful stuff like the start menu that has been there since the beginning of time was removed. This is just because they want to go in a different direction. This is fine if you are an individual and want to do something different. But, I equate this to a pilot deciding to take you to a destination you didn't sign up for. If this was open source people would say screw it and just build their own plane that was going where they wanted. Love it or hate it people rely on windows apps for a lot of stuff and there really isn't a better option for them. So I don't like windows 8 i'm forced to use windows 7 for eternity now and can't get all the bug and performance improvements?

Also flash on android and ios has been removed. I don't like flash and i personally think it sucks. But it's still almost necessary if you do any serious websurfing. So they go and take away the functionality completely? Like Megadeth said "If there's a new way I'll be the first in line but it better work this time" I'll be the first in line to dump flash but your solution better be 100% ready before you go throwing the entire thing out. You can't get away with moves like that in open source because somebody will give you the middle finger and just undo what you did.

Primefalcon
December 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
as far as flash goes, blame adobe for that one, they basically discontinued on everything except windows now.... flash, read, air.... all linux version killed

user1397
December 27th, 2012, 06:50 AM
i don't get why in your second paragraph you are sortof bashing open source, or at least android in a way when saying that they were to quick to remove flash while the replacement isn't ready yet, while your title says you're starting to love open source...i'm a little confused :/

mamamia88
December 27th, 2012, 07:00 AM
i don't get why in your second paragraph you are sortof bashing open source, or at least android in a way when saying that they were to quick to remove flash while the replacement isn't ready yet, while your title says you're starting to love open source...i'm a little confused :/

oh i thought google removed flash purposefully from android. i was kind of ranting on how a major feature of web browsing is unavailable on android now even if it did suck it was still, useful. if it was open source the second adobe abandoned flash somebody would take it and run with it. or if like i said a company like google decides to go in a different direction then somebody else would steer the course in a different direction that they find better. i'm starting to love open source because no single company is forcing me to do stuff in a way i don't want. For example people didn't like gnome 3 so mate took gnome2 and ran with it. It's almost like gnome3 never happened. This is why i'm starting to love open source more and more because with proprietary software your experience is take the whole thing or leave it and more and more i'm finding stuff with proprietary stuff that makes me want to leave it. oh and android isn't open source really in the true sense

drawkcab
December 27th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Install Ubuntu and join us. The more people using open source, the more incentive folks will have to develop it! There's lots of choice and freedom once you understand what's going on.

mamamia88
December 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Install Ubuntu and join us. The more people using open source, the more incentive folks will have to develop it! There's lots of choice and freedom once you understand what's going on.

i'm on arch right now. i was using windows 8 as an example of why i don't like having a single company in control of an os

KiwiNZ
December 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Windows 8 came out and was a vast departure from windows 7. Some useful stuff like the start menu that has been there since the beginning of time was removed. This is just because they want to go in a different direction. This is fine if you are an individual and want to do something different. But, I equate this to a pilot deciding to take you to a destination you didn't sign up for. If this was open source people would say screw it and just build their own plane that was going where they wanted. Love it or hate it people rely on windows apps for a lot of stuff and there really isn't a better option for them. So I don't like windows 8 i'm forced to use windows 7 for eternity now and can't get all the bug and performance improvements?

Also flash on android and ios has been removed. I don't like flash and i personally think it sucks. But it's still almost necessary if you do any serious websurfing. So they go and take away the functionality completely? Like Megadeth said "If there's a new way I'll be the first in line but it better work this time" I'll be the first in line to dump flash but your solution better be 100% ready before you go throwing the entire thing out. You can't get away with moves like that in open source because somebody will give you the middle finger and just undo what you did.

How long did you use Windows? what hardware did you use it on?

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 08:28 AM

There's many problems with Microsoft, but I actually like Windows 8. The 'modern' UI is nice, I wish I could get something like it for Ubuntu. That being said, I dislike many other things about Windows - the annoying updates, applications that always crash, restrictive licenses on everything. Windows is stable and reliable, but I prefer Ubuntu or SUSE.

As for flash, blame Adobe.

Yes, open source is nice because no one can pull the rug out from under your feet, although I do believe MS has done good for their ecosystem.

BigSilly
December 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Flash for me personally is dead. I'm not installing it on any OS I use anymore. Because of Adobe's approach and its gradual removal from Linux and Android, I'm beginning my own campaign of not using it. So far I haven't missed it really. I suppose the ad makers will have to come up with another way to get in my face. I'm sure they will.

superDave972
December 27th, 2012, 07:27 PM
i'm on arch right now. i was using windows 8 as an example of why i don't like having a single company in control of an os

In my opinion, Unity is very similar to the W8 environment.

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Apart from both having searchable launchers, how? Unity is basically a traditional DE with Dash and global menu, while W8 is a touch environment with a ton of gestures, hidden sidebars, etc.... There is no live tile equivalent in Unity...

superDave972
December 27th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Apart from both having searchable launchers, how? Unity is basically a traditional DE with Dash and global menu, while W8 is a touch environment with a ton of gestures, hidden sidebars, etc.... There is no live tile equivalent in Unity...

The searchable launchers are my main reason. However, I also think that Unity is also very touch friendly.

Besides those two similarities, I feel the same feelings of frustration when I have tried to use both environments. "Counter-productive" kept coming across my mind when testing each one.

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 08:02 PM
The searchable launchers are my main reason. However, I also think that Unity is also very touch friendly.

Besides those two similarities, I feel the same feelings of frustration when I have tried to use both environments. "Counter-productive" kept coming across my mind when testing each one.

Personally, I love searchable launchers (Windows 7 had them, as does KDE, OSX, and most modern OSes), drop down menus are the least efficient GUI idea ever created. I find nothing to be less efficient than searching through drop down menus. Imagine if people couldn't search for things on the internet, if every internet website was in a series of nested menus....

flavouride
December 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
For Win8, extending the searchable launcher to full screen is definitely the greatest improvement.

It resembles Unity in Ubuntu much better and I don't need to pickup anything new in dealing with my usual tasks.

pompel9
December 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM

You have to be joking. Unity is very different from Windows 8.

At least on Ubuntu you can change the theme, you can not do that on Windows 8. It's all about choices, and Windows 8 doesn't give any.

mrjava
December 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM

I second that :) After using Windows for 10+ years, switching to Ubuntu was not a quick choice, but it turns out that aside from not having a native Adobe Photoshop, everything I was doing before on Windows now is faster and easier on Ubuntu.

superDave972
December 27th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Personally, I love searchable launchers (Windows 7 had them, as does KDE, OSX, and most modern OSes), drop down menus are the least efficient GUI idea ever created. I find nothing to be less efficient than searching through drop down menus. Imagine if people couldn't search for things on the internet, if every internet website was in a series of nested menus....

I actually prefer the nested menus. It provides a way to organize everything. I dislike how W8 and Unity displays their apps. Everything is in one giant menu and with too many apps, it becomes quite cumbersome to find an app. I also dislike the app drawer on Android. I create folders on my home screen to house the shortcuts to my apps. For example, I have folders named "Fun&Games" and "Tools" on my home screen to help categorize my apps. Also, within the app drawer, I created a folder named "Trash" that I drug all of my excess apps into. That way, the app drawer isn't cluttered with a bunch of crap that I will never use.

mystmaiden
December 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm behind the times as usual. I didn't know android with flash is no more - so what replaces it? Does that mean folks with android can't see web videos at all or ?? (I was thinking of finally investing in a new phone but since I'm a dyed in the wool video addict I think that isn't going to happen :(

Back to the original thought though - I love open source as well but (please don't kill me for saying this) it does seem like with the advent of Precise we have fewer options available. Maybe I just feel that way because a few of my favorite things are gone now like the ability to customize gnome, that was fun, gnome baker which I used exclusively, the easy screensaver slide show.. (I use xscreensaver now which looks cool but it has honestly given one headache after another).

kurt18947
December 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM
I'm behind the times as usual. I didn't know android with flash is no more - so what replaces it? Does that mean folks with android can't see web videos at all or ?? (I was thinking of finally investing in a new phone but since I'm a dyed in the wool video addict I think that isn't going to happen :(

Back to the original thought though - I love open source as well but (please don't kill me for saying this) it does seem like with the advent of Precise we have fewer options available. Maybe I just feel that way because a few of my favorite things are gone now like the ability to customize gnome, that was fun, gnome baker which I used exclusively, the easy screensaver slide show.. (I use xscreensaver now which looks cool but it has honestly given one headache after another).

You might find that your favorite apps are still available, they just aren't included on the CD image. Two of my favorite utilities, printing and users & groups were replaced by inferior IMO successors. A bit of searching located both apps, I installed them and they still work. You might also try the gnome-shell remix. I find gnome shell with a half dozen extensions quite usable. Extensions are bits of css and javascript that can add or modify appearance of functions in gnome shell.

Mikeb85
December 28th, 2012, 02:30 AM

There are still Android browsers that incorporate the last flash version, so with the right browser Android users can still see flash. I think. My year old HTC phone can anyway...

forrestcupp
December 28th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Windows 8 came out and was a vast departure from windows 7. Some useful stuff like the start menu that has been there since the beginning of time was removed. This is just because they want to go in a different direction. This is fine if you are an individual and want to do something different. But, I equate this to a pilot deciding to take you to a destination you didn't sign up for. If this was open source people would say screw it and just build their own plane that was going where they wanted. Love it or hate it people rely on windows apps for a lot of stuff and there really isn't a better option for them. So I don't like windows 8 i'm forced to use windows 7 for eternity now and can't get all the bug and performance improvements?I installed a 3rd party Start Orb that automatically boots to the Desktop mode. I don't ever see Modern UI anymore, and I'm liking Windows 8 better than Windows 7. Aside from the few good updates to the desktop apps, it's much more stable and snappy, and much less buggy. I'm actually liking it a lot.

i don't get why in your second paragraph you are sortof bashing open source, or at least android in a way when saying that they were to quick to remove flash while the replacement isn't ready yet, while your title says you're starting to love open source...i'm a little confused :/Android definitely does not equal open source. The OS is semi open source, but nothing else about the environment is.

superdaveozzborn
December 28th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I moved to Ubuntu permanently, back when vista came out, tired of paying for something that don't work and wasting my time trying to tell them about it. at least with open source if something don't work properly you are not out the big bucks, since then I have moved on to other distributions and never looked back. Thank You Linux!

Welly Wu
December 28th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I love open source too and I finally settled on Ubuntu 64 bit LTS releases as my preferred GNU/Linux distribution of choice. I like the Ubuntu Unity desktop environment, but I do agree it is pretty limited in terms of customization options. Ubuntu Unity is not the same as Microsoft Windows 8 Modern UI or desktop. They are different. Ubuntu Unity is better than Windows 8 because it is a tightly integrated desktop environment whereas Microsoft Windows 8 is really all about two user interfaces colliding against each other. It's a hybrid operating system designed for 10 point multi-touch devices and the traditional desktop combined. Ubuntu Unity is more elegant and it continues to see gradual improvements in terms of bugs fixed and new features every 6 months.

I find all Microsoft and Apple products to be too restrictive for my needs and preferences. I don't like their limitations that they put on their customers and I fear that Ubuntu Unity is heading in the same direction. This is why I try different desktop environments to see which one is going to suit me best and I'm still evolving in my opinions.

The next candidate that I'm trying is GNOME 3.4.2. It's a modern desktop environment and it's stable and usable. I find it to be less restrictive than Ubuntu Unity and it is meeting my daily needs pretty well.

I get less excited with Ubuntu Unity with each Ubuntu release. I guess that's just me.