PDA

View Full Version : Only mouse and wallpaper in Ubuntu 12.04! Please, help!

lukapez
December 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
So, i have a problem. Everything was working just fine, and I wanted to integrate social networks into Unity. I found the tutorial and did it. I got bored with them, so I wanted to remove them, but I had no idea how to do it. I went to the software center, typed in unity-webapps, and removed all of the three packages that were shown on the list. After the reboot and login, i had no Unity and no upper column (with wirelles and stuff). I still dont have any of it. I opened the terminal (with keyboard) and Firefox, and now I am asking for your help. Anyone?

N00b-un-2
December 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM
sounds like you may have nuked your unity environment. Try dropping to a login shell (ctrl+alt+f1) and assuming you can connect to the internet from there, install the gnome-session-fallback. Try booting into that, and if it works try reinstalling Unity.

lukapez
December 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM
how do i do that?
i dont know much about linux, im a noob :/

N00b-un-2
December 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM
if you can open a terminal type

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

then log out, and log back in selecting the fallback session at the log in screen (click on the little Ubuntu logo next to where you type your password and a drop down menu will appear with the session options. select Gnome Classic)

lukapez
December 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
i solved it! thanks!
ive found a tutorial on reinstalling unity so i did it that way, and it it works :)