PDA

View Full Version : Will Ubuntu work as a sole OS?

gdubz
December 26th, 2012, 02:40 AM
I wish I could ask legitimately question...the answer for my hardware is yes, but with a couple of features of the laptop hardware currently not fully functional with Ubuntu.

HP DV7t-7xxx series i5 Ivy Bridge

1) System has 4 standard speakers + 1 sub woofer. In Ubuntu 2/4 speakers work and no sub woofer.

2) Fingerprint login reader does not seem to be supported.

3) Pinch to zoom on track pad isn't supported

This is a new laptop and only been dual booting Linux a few days. If above issues get resolved, I could foresee ditching Windows all together....if I didn't have stupid Apple mobile hardware that I need iTunes for...so then just go to Android (rooted) again and be cool!...I'm blathering on... I wouldn't mind ditching Windows though if not for the above...

haqking
December 26th, 2012, 02:48 AM
WHATEVER you choose to do make sure you have recovery disks/partition for your Installed Factory OS and back up all DATA before you do anything. Or original Windows media for a reinstall.

There are a recurrence of threads on Windows users dual booting, then wanting to remove Ubuntu or have deleted partitions or cant no longer access Windows etc.

Take a clone, make your recovery disks, make sure you know how to recover, backup data etc before you do anything.

Peace

pompel9
December 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
There are probably a small partition on the HDD that is reserved for windows install. In case you may need it later, I would suggest that you do not remove and format that partition.

I personally switched from windows 7 to ubuntu 12.04 without hesitation. My reason was because of the spyware that is embedded in windows 8. I do not like to spied on.

Anders Stroem
December 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
That depends entirely on what the machine is going to be used for.

Does all the software that you need, or viable counterparts, exist for Ubuntu?

lisati
December 26th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Discussion moved to its own thread.