PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome shell brightness, volume overlay transparency bug

gexi
December 26th, 2012, 03:10 PM
hey there,

i'm using gnome shell on a standard 64bit quantal installation with gnome3-team ppa. the theme is faience from tiheum equinox ppa (but the problem also occurs with the standard gs-theme).

as you can see in the screenshot, the volume overlay is not rendered correctly (same thing with brightness). i thought this is a problem with the faience-theme (or that it was maybe intended to be that way), but today i found out, that the bug occurs for every shell theme i try.

btw. every other transparent thingy is rendered correctly.

would be greatly appreciated if someone had any idea how to solve this.

thanks in advance.

gexi
December 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Ah, strange!

Just found out: it's got something to do with the gtk+ theme (not the shell-theme as i thought before). if i change the gtk+ theme to the adwaita default theme, those transparent overlays are rendered correctly.

So, the problem occurs with the following gtk-themes: faience, ambiance, radiance ... (i haven't installed that many though).

Does anybody know if those themes got any packages in common, maybe from gnome3-team or equinox repos?

Morphine.
January 15th, 2013, 01:36 AM
I'm having the exact same problem!
are you any closer to a solution?

NikiNfOuR
January 15th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I am also having the same problem. Have to adjust the brightness every time boot up the OS. Hoping to find a solution soon..

Morphine.
January 16th, 2013, 02:57 AM
I've been having a look around, and it seems to be a problem with the theme code.
It would appear that the theme developers have neglected to add a style entry for the meda-key's OSD

I was able to mend the theme i'm currently using (zoncolor) by adding some lines to the gtk.css

Here are the changes made to the Evolve theme to fix this issue
https://github.com/satya164/Evolve/commit/b467d14ebd2b53bbb908e207c78065ddd4dff646

I hope this helps

cmcanulty
January 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
this works for me. It is super dumb that keeping the set level isn't the default!
http://askubuntu.com/questions/93038/lenovo-laptop-dims-always-on-reboot