PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with external harddisk

zlatankos
December 26th, 2012, 10:50 AM
i use Ubuntu 12.04

Notebook-PC:~$ uname -r
3.2.0-35-generic-paeI used an external disk yesterday , in the beggining evething was ok. But when i do safely remove or unmount or restart,shut down etc and i try to reconnect it i get the following message :

unable to mount

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x43425355 size: 4096 usa_ofs: 1014 usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
Actual VCN (0x800009f01000000) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x0).
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details.except from this some times i get no message and the nautilus doesnt show something.

when i used the hd to windows seems like it is corrupted and needs a format, after format (to ntfs) everything is ok in windows whatever i do write eject etc

but when i write and remove the disk in ubuntu then it get corrapted and needs format to ntfs. Also this format is ok only in windows when i tried it with gparted i get the following :
(i tried format to ntfs , fat32 , ext3 ext4 with gparted and the result is the same....)

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3605/snapshot2rk.png

before the format the problem seems like this in gparted

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1653/snapshot1cs.png

summarizing it seems that there is problem when i write in disk and remove it and using ubuntu, then the data or the file system is getting corrupted...(in windows everything is fine)

thanks in advance
and sorry if my english is too bad

fdrake
December 26th, 2012, 10:55 AM
did you try the suggestion of the error:

run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important!

zlatankos
December 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
does this mean to run chkdsk then to boot with windows and then to restart and boot again with windows?

i did it but i dint i understant the meaning of twice and The usage of the /f parameter is very
important!

Also i mentioned that is beginning with "checking filesystem on C" and not f , and im sure that i writed chkdsk /f
i also tried it after format and with no format but nothing...

zlatankos
December 26th, 2012, 03:14 PM
ok i found my mistake i run chkdsk and i did restart twice but nothing changed