PDA

View Full Version : Is there a easier OS?

tahdas
December 26th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I really want to become a linux user but I'm having trouble using Ubuntu. I was wondering if there a easier OS.

With Ubuntu my internet dosent work.

Is there a better OS to start with? I don't want to have to go into the shell or whatever it called to get things to work.

Frogs Hair
December 26th, 2012, 02:48 AM
See this thread to get back a tradition Gnome style. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

Xubuntu is a good choice if you want a more traditional desktop also.

Frogs Hair
December 26th, 2012, 02:54 AM
You could also provide more information about the computer and internet problem.

chadk5utc
December 26th, 2012, 03:25 AM
For learning Linux I think Ubuntu is likely one of if not the easiest to learn distribution there is, but with anything new there is a learning curve and personal time invested which makes it worthwhile. Not to mention that this is one of the best online forums to get help along the way.

MishaX2
December 26th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Xubuntu indeed is a lot easier to get started with, it's more minimalistic and therefore you get a much better overview over your system. If you run into any problems, there are many ways we can help you. Just make a post in the absolute beginners forum(http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) and we can help you and guide you.[/URL]
[URL="http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326"] (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326)

3rdalbum
December 26th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I really want to become a linux user but I'm having trouble using Ubuntu. I was wondering if there a easier OS.

Is there a better OS to start with? I don't want to have to go into the shell or whatever it called to get things to work.

If your internet doesn't work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu and you really need terminal to make it work, then it will probably be the same for all Linuxes or free OSes. Ubuntu has a very wide selection of preinstalled drivers and it is not normal for your internet to not be working straight after installing Ubuntu.

However if this is a wifi problem you might want to buy a simple, cheap wifi USB that is known to work on Ubuntu. I had to do that once and it cost me $9 (half an hour's pay for me at the time, saved me easily half an hour of time).

Chogan
December 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
ubuntu is really easy. what is your problem with it? try to work with it and after a while, you will find that it is very simple.

vasa1
December 26th, 2012, 08:41 AM
You could also provide more information about the computer and internet problem.
+1 but I'd use should instead of could. As the original post stands, there's no way people can help fix the problem.

iMac71
December 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM

Is there a better OS to start with? I don't want to have to go into the shell or whatever it called to get things to work.it seems to me that you've forgot to select the installation of third parts software when you've installed Ubuntu.
If this is correct, there are only two ways for solving your problem:
1) get elsewhere the driver;
or
2) re-install Ubuntu without forgetting to select the installation of third parts software.

HermanAB
December 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
The easiest is Puppy Linux:
www.puppylinux.org

Otherwise, the older and more mature distributions like Suse, Fedora, PC Linux OS and Mageia all have much better wizards than Ubuntu.

With Mageia or PCLOS you never need to use the command line. They have wizards for everything and the kitchen sink. By comparison, Ubuntu is really one of the worst Linux distros. It is only popular due to all the advertising money spent on it.

However, once you know Linux, it doesn't matter which distro you use any more, because underneath the clickety shiny bits they are all the same.

andybrady
December 26th, 2012, 11:46 AM
All the new desktop bells and whistles are not intuitive and sort of get in the way of understanding desktop operations. I think the online tutorial videos helped me as a Ub. novice. You eventually find what causes the flying and disappearing windows ;-) good luck.

andybrady
December 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM
it seems to me that you've forgot to select the installation of third parts software when you've installed Ubuntu.
If this is correct, there are only two ways for solving your problem:
1) get elsewhere the driver;
or
2) re-install Ubuntu without forgetting to select the installation of third parts software.

I second re-installation as your first step.

hawthornso23
December 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
A new user has trouble with ubuntu so the advice is to switch to gnome classic as it is easier. I smile (actually it is more like a pained grimace). Unity was justified in part as being easier for new users.

Although the irony of it all amuses me I do agree with the advice. Unity is unintuitive and disturbing for new users. Gnome classic is easy.

Anders Stroem
December 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I second re-installation as your first step.

I agree with this poster. I can't see how switching to another desktop environment would help ironing out the issue you are describing.

Either you are missing drivers, or your hardware might simply be too exotic. If it doesn't work out of the box under Unity, it won't work out of the box under Mate/Gnome Classic/XFCE either.

This is not dependent on the desktop environment currently being in use.

zombifier25
December 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM

If Internet does not work on Ubuntu I'm certain it won't work on other Linux distros. You should provide your hardware details so we can help.

Also +1 to GNOME Classic, if you don't like the default interface.

zombifier25
December 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM
The easiest is Puppy Linux:
www.puppylinux.org
[...]

With risk of starting a flamewar, I find this statement a bit ridiculous.

offgridguy
December 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A new user has trouble with ubuntu so the advice is to switch to gnome classic as it is easier. I smile (actually it is more like a pained grimace). Unity was justified in part as being easier for new users.

Although the irony of it all amuses me I do agree with the advice. Unity is unintuitive and disturbing for new users. Gnome classic is easy.
As a new user i found the transition from windows to ubuntu to be quite easy,
I have found unity to be the simplest and easiest DE to use of the ones i have
tried. Just my opinion.

tahdas
December 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I think I installed Ubuntu right. Anyway I looked up all of the OSs you suggested and none of them caught my eye.

The computer is a dell desktop with a netgear WNA3100 Internet adapter. I tried to install the driver using the disk it came with and wine but e driver wouldn't install. If I get the internet working Ubuntu would be fine.

Mopar1973Man
December 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
As a new user i found the transition from windows to ubuntu to be quite easy,
I have found unity to be the simplest and easiest DE to use of the ones i have
tried. Just my opinion.

Agreed... I've also came over from CentOS after throwing my hands up try to learn it. Ubuntu is way easier to learn. The biggest trick is for newbie I highly suggest you rely on the GUI more than terminal till you get your feet wet with BASH commands. Then as a tip and trying to learn commands search on Google the commands and add Ubuntu to the search more times out of ten you come back to this forum. ;)

Mark Phelps
December 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I tried to install the driver using the disk it came with and wine but e driver wouldn't install.

Just so you know ... Wine is for running applications, not for installing drivers. You need Linux drivers, so even if you could install Windows drivers with Wine, they would not work.

sffvba[e0rt
December 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

This is not an Ubuntu Support Question.

As for my 2c's worth, I think the OP will find Ubuntu and indeed most distro's easier to use if all hardware is compatible.

If you can't get your network to work in Ubuntu then switching to Xubuntu or installing Gnome-shell or any other DE is not going to help get it working!

Peripheral Visionary
December 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I learned Linux in the Xfce environment. Point-and-click, sweet and simple. I've had a chance to look at some other Linux desktops now but I still think Xfce (Xubuntu) is the simplest for new Linux users to learn. Maybe I only think that because that's what I learned on, but it was chosen for me to learn on by someone who had tried them all. It's also the default desktop in several Linux flavors designed for kids, so that probably says something for it's simplicity. I recommend giving Xubuntu a look!

haqking
December 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM
You will never learn Linux the easy way ;-)

As for easiest to use Linux, then it is all subjective based on your learning style, ability to learn and most importantly your hardware.

The more supported your hardware is, then the less you will learn LOL

Peace

mips
December 27th, 2012, 03:53 PM
The computer is a dell desktop with a netgear WNA3100 Internet adapter.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965989
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=92044

forrestcupp
December 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Although the irony of it all amuses me I do agree with the advice. Unity is unintuitive and disturbing for new users. Gnome classic is easy.On the other hand, the OP's only complaint was that the internet isn't working. So why is anyone talking about desktop environments, whether Gnome Classic or Unity?

This is not an Ubuntu Support Question.In that case, the OP needs to start a new thread specifically asking for help with his internet. Although mips gave some good resources for the specific problem, right above me.

You will never learn Linux the easy way ;-)

As for easiest to use Linux, then it is all subjective based on your learning style, ability to learn and most importantly your hardware.

The more supported your hardware is, then the less you will learn LOL

PeaceTo be fair, the OP never said he wanted to learn Linux. He only said he wanted an easier way to use Linux. ;)

mamamia88
December 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Max osx. Everything is done for you. Linux tries to support as much hardware ootb as possible but sometimes can't support a specific card. If it doesn't work on Ubuntu ootb it probably won't o other distros. If you aren't willing to learn you are probably better off elsewhere

mips
December 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM
On the other hand, the OP's only complaint was that the internet isn't working. So why is anyone talking about desktop environments, whether Gnome Classic or Unity?

Not me :tongue:

Fahim Abdun-Nur
December 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
See this thread to get back a tradition Gnome style. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

Xubuntu is a good choice if you want a more traditional desktop also.

+1 Xubuntu is light and simple(r)

montag dp
December 27th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Seems like most of the posters here did not bother to read the OP. He was asking for help with his Internet, mistakenly thinking a different distro would help. Switching to gnome-classic or Xubuntu is not going to fix his problem, but it will waste time and cause further frustration.

Anyway, in addition to the helpful links that have already been posted, I also found this after a quick search:

http://furiouspurpose.me/linux-and-the-wna3100-wireless-adapter/

To the OP, don't be afraid of the terminal. If you take the time to use it and learn it, I think you will eventually come to appreciate it. It is a truly powerful interface and IMO it's one of the biggest advantages of Linux over Windows/Mac. To be perfectly honest, as a Linux user you will need to use the terminal sooner or later.

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Ubuntu is pretty much the easiest. And odds are you internet troubles are a fairly easy fix.

Ignore everyone who says to switch to a different distro or desktop environment, as that likely won't fix anything. Just post what kind of network card you have, and other hardware details.

sffvba[e0rt
In that case, the OP needs to start a new thread specifically asking for help with his internet. Although mips gave some good resources for the specific problem, right above me.

+1 to this... most of the thread is answering to the title and not supporting the issue of not being able to connect to the Internet.

MadmanRB
Linux mint

Nuff said, it does a lot ubuntu cannot do, like having pre installed codecs plus its better at network cards.

haqking
December 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
WNA3100 in Ubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1946875&referrerid=1620502

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965989

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYBWMD6cg8

MG&TL
December 27th, 2012, 06:29 PM
[...] plus its better at network cards.

Off topic: why? Mint uses the same kernel (but probably an older version than Ubuntu), and as far as I can tell there is no 'magic' software included that does anything else.

Not arguing, just curious.

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Off topic: why? Mint uses the same kernel (but probably an older version than Ubuntu), and as far as I can tell there is no 'magic' software included that does anything else.

Not arguing, just curious.

Mint advertises these things so it must be true.

Mikeb85
December 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Linux mint

Nuff said, it does a lot ubuntu cannot do, like having pre installed codecs plus its better at network cards.

Except these things take about 2 seconds to add to Ubuntu. You can add those same codecs to Ubuntu during install by marking a single box.

And no, it's not better at network cards. It uses the same kernel, and has ndiswrapper installed - again, a 2 second job in Ubuntu. Even Mint's DEs are merely a few clicks away in Ubuntu.

OluszDes
December 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I think I installed Ubuntu right. Anyway I looked up all of the OSs you suggested and none of them caught my eye.

The computer is a dell desktop with a netgear WNA3100 Internet adapter. I tried to install the driver using the disk it came with and wine but e driver wouldn't install. If I get the internet working Ubuntu would be fine.

If you have installed Ubuntu correctly and have the wired connection on, but the internet is not working, open the Terminal and write

sudo dhclient eth0
enter your password and then push the Enter key.
Wait for while and your internet would work.

MadmanRB
December 27th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Except these things take about 2 seconds to add to Ubuntu. You can add those same codecs to Ubuntu during install by marking a single box.

And no, it's not better at network cards. It uses the same kernel, and has ndiswrapper installed - again, a 2 second job in Ubuntu. Even Mint's DEs are merely a few clicks away in Ubuntu.

well ndiswrapper being prepackaged does help, especially with newcomers.

CharlesA
December 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM

This is not an Ubuntu Support Question.

As for my 2c's worth, I think the OP will find Ubuntu and indeed most distro's easier to use if all hardware is compatible.

If you can't get your network to work in Ubuntu then switching to Xubuntu or installing Gnome-shell or any other DE is not going to help get it working!

This.

@OP: If you are still having problems getting the internet to work create a new thread. This one is closed as it is going in circles.