PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will ubuntu work as a sole os?

bobipod
December 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I've bought my son a laptop for christmas and want to know if i can install ubuntu to work as his sole o/s.

The machine is

Dell N5050
Processor: Intel celeron
CPU B815 1.60 GHz
6.0gb ram

System type: 64 bit operating system (assuming this is the current windows install) windows 7.

darkod
December 25th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yes, it should work as single OS unless there are some issues with the hardware of the exact machine. But that happens very rarely.

In general, any OS can work as single OS. There is no requerement to dual boot.

grahammechanical
December 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I have been using Ubuntu as the only OS on my machine for 5 years. Is there anything that your son would do with this machine that he cannot do with Ubuntu? That is the question to answer.

I have a Windows application that is not distributed as a Linux application. But I can run this application using something called wine.

http://www.winehq.org/

It fools the Windows application into thinking that it is running on Windows. Wine works well with some Windows applications but not with all Windows applications.

Regards.

snowpine
December 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I would leave the Windows 7 that you paid on there and dual boot. Your son may wish to install some Windows applications/games at some point (or may be required to do so for school). A dual boot will give him the most options and make his gift that much more wonderful. :)

OrangeCrate
December 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
^, Agreed.

@OP, if you need some guidelines/instructions on how to dual boot, you can find them here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Quantal_Installation

whatthefunk
December 25th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, Id dual boot for him, at least until he figures out what he wants to do with it. If he wants to play games, Windows will serve him better. Also, he may need Windows specific applications for school.

Frogs Hair
December 25th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I dual boot because I need Windows for school and a couple of other things. Some of the software for school won't run in wine or it is not worth trying.

If your son has games some won't run in wine. Some instructors are picky about getting formatting errors on assignments done with open office programs. This can be a problem even though saving in Windows formats is possible.

offgridguy
December 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I have used ubuntu 12.04 as the only OS, with no issues.
I have dual booted with windows 7, no problem as well.

Currently have quad boot on one computer, all linux, experimenting with
various OS.
edit; I agree with the previous replies about dual booting with win.7

jeffreyldavidson
December 25th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I wiped my drive from Windows and use Ubuntu only. I got curious and installed Windows 8 for a trial...boy what a mess that is. I went back to Ubuntu only after a few days and am glad to be back home. Unless there is specific programs you must have Ubuntu (or even another linux distro) is the only way to go. Anything I need to do I can do in Ubuntu and with Steam coming many games will be available down the road also for the gamers.

foobantu
December 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hi,

I agree with the dual boot suggestions.

Personally, I've been on Ubuntu exclusively for past 3 months and it suits me just fine.

I don't miss anything. :)

rasmus91
December 25th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I have used Ubuntu for a little over 5 years now, and as sole OS for about a year and a half. (on my laptop, and now on my desktop as well)

and I would say that if you have no need of any windows only software, or if that windows only software works "platinum" in wine, then go for Ubuntu only.

Dualbooting is IMO only a temporary solution, as i find having everything on my computer split up to be a pain.

Ubuntu is generally a much better user experience (again, in my opinion) and when my Desktop cmputer ran windows 7 i still preferred using my laptop, because it was simply a better platform to use, windows generally being too slow at starting and running. it felt like my laptop was a much much better piece of hardware. So i'd say; consider if you need windows for anything, if not, then go for ubuntu, it will make you much happier than windows can. (all based on my own opinion and experience ofc)

good luck :)

deadflowr
December 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
System type: 64 bit operating system (assuming this is the current windows install) windows 7.

Depending on how new, this machine might be running windows 8.

In which case you might need to check and see if it has secure boot, and whether or not it has been enabled.

Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit can load in secure boot, but other distros can't.

Anyway, +nth for dual-booting.
If your just going to wipe the disk and install Ubuntu, you might as well grab some money and start burning it.

orb9220
December 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM
One question is that nobody asked.

Why are you doing this for him? Did he ask for something different than windows?
As dual is the way to go but why? Is this something you feel strongly about or him?

If he doesn't need or want it then you could be wasting time & resources setting it up and all. And then he doesn't care for it.

But dual boot is the only fair way to approach it. And let him decide over time using.

monkeybrain2012
December 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
The thing to check is the graphic card. If you have a Nvidia card then chances are you have Optimus, in that case it will be a bit tricky. Otherwise there should be no problem (also check the wireless) When I got a new laptop I just wipe Windows (can't stand even looking at it) and either have just Ubuntu or dual/triple boot with other Linux distros. But that is just me. I used to need only one Windows software and virtual box takes care of it. Now I don't even need that anymore as we have switched to something cross platform.

sammiev
December 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
One question is that nobody asked.

Why are you doing this for him? Did he ask for something different than windows?
As dual is the way to go but why? Is this something you feel strongly about or him?

If he doesn't need or want it then you could be wasting time & resources setting it up and all. And then he doesn't care for it.

But dual boot is the only fair way to approach it. And let him decide over time using.

+1 to this post! ):P

bobipod
December 25th, 2012, 08:03 PM
We already use ubuntu as sole o/s on our main pc and our other laptop. My reason for asking was the 64 bit info and the build of the machine. My son prefers ubuntu to windows (as do the rest of us) and since his ipod is no longer supported he has no use for windows for any stand alone software issues.

I think i'll check the graphic card but i'm sure my laptop is running nvidia without any issues.

Thanks for all the advice.

The graphics card is Intel HD graphics card (no model or anything else to identify it)

orb9220
December 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
We already use ubuntu as sole o/s on our main pc and our other laptop. My reason for asking was the 64 bit info and the build of the machine. My son prefers ubuntu to windows (as do the rest of us) and since his ipod is no longer supported he has no use for windows for any stand alone software issues.

I think i'll check the graphic card but i'm sure my laptop is running nvidia without any issues.

The graphics card is Intel HD graphics card (no model or anything else to identify it)

Ahhh Ok that clears it up then. And if all are comfortable with not needing a dual boot setup. Then all the better.

Hope everything goes smoothly and not too much a hassle that laptops can be getting everything working right.

OrangeCrate
December 25th, 2012, 10:50 PM

I recant my previous post. Based on your previous posted specs, and the Intel card, I would expect, that a 64-bit install would work fine.