PDA

View Full Version : DIY web client from home

EmmEight
December 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
So I want a website.

A place for my friends/family to be able to visit me.

In other words I want a dot com.

I will host from home.

Opinions please (I know weird)):P

Cheapest Domain provider?
Best Domain provider?
Best linux-based hosting platform?
Best DIY website infrastructure? Drupal?

Currently running ubuntu server with public and private access.. SSH, SFTP, FTP, VNC

HTML, PHP, MySQL, whiz, what am I missing?

Come on Ubuntu, Lay it on me!

Lars Noodén
December 24th, 2012, 07:09 PM
You ISP probably won't give you a static IP number for your home network unless you pay extra and change your contract. You can work around that a little by using a dynamic DNS service (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS). That will give you an A name. Then you need to register a domain name with a DNS registrar. Use that to create a CNAME and point to your A name.

Or you could just rent a VPS. Just be sure that your VPS hosting company and your registrar are not the same company. You need the flexiblity to move that having them separate will give you.

EmmEight
December 24th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the quick response!

I take it you have problems with a VPS hosting company, being the same as a registrar company.

Do we have an ubuntu friendly registrar?

If I chose to spend money, I would like it matter.

7/8 RogerWaters

Lars Noodén
December 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I've had problems in the past and know others that have had problems. However, by having a separate registrar meant that the site could be 'moved' to a better hosting company quickly and without delay. Most of them are pretty good, but sometimes companies change and a good one can turn bad. So it's better to be prepared.

About which one to choose, that's a changing landscape and you'll have to research the situation as it happens to be today.

EmmEight
December 24th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I will host from home.

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to take it into consideration, as it happens to be today. Happy holidays!

Anyone else?